Food Allergy

Elecare/Neocate TASTE HELP!!

I finally quit bfeeding, and my 4 mo has been on Alimentum, Alimentum ready to feed, and now Elecare since he still had blood in his stool. He liked the taste of Alimentum RTF and ate about 32 oz a day (though it was a battle bc he was in pain). Now he does not appear to be in pain on the Elecare, but hates the taste and won't eat. I worked 45 mins this morn to get 3 oz in him and this was 4 hrs after his last 4 oz bottle. He just spits it out. I'm only getting about 25 oz in him now - and that is after FIGHTING him to eat. Anyone have any luck adding things to Elecare to get their kid to eat? I tried imitation vanilla per GI doc suggestion - didn't work. I tried adding 1 oz apple juice to formula mixture - worked amazing for 2 feedings, but now he is refusing again. Any suggestions?!?!? 

Re: Elecare/Neocate TASTE HELP!!

• My 6 month old just got diagnosed with milk and soy allergy so I've been crying all morning.  He is EBF but my supply is dwindling so we have samples of Elecare to try. The doc said we can mix Hershey's chocolate syrup in it to have him take it. I haven't tried it yet and it does sound crazy but I guess worth a shot if nothing else works!
  • We had a hard time getting our son to take any hypo-allergenic formula.  We finally got his to drink Elecar Jr Vanilla but it is mixed at the infant strength based on the manufacturers directions (we mix it at the 20 cal per ounce vs 30 cal).  We also tried mixing the Elecare with flavored Pedyalite

Court
    DH 40  ME 40
    GD, Myasthenia Gravis, Factor V Leiden

DS #1 born via emergancy c-section 01/23/06 at 37w

DS#2 born via c-section 10/27/2007 at 36w due to PROM

DS #3 born via repeat c-section 04/13/2012 at 39w

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away." - George Carlin
  • Loading the player...
  • If it makes you feel better, DD only took 12-16 oz/day of Neocate for about the first three weeks.  Give him a chance to get used to it.  If that is all you offer, he will eventually accept it.  Do not force him to eat.  Offer small amounts so you don't have to waste much.  Be patient, calm, loving.  Sing a lullaby, rock, cuddle, reassure.   

DD now takes 20-24 oz/day and is growing perfectly well.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Neocate has flavoring packets that you can ask for a sample of. You need to call to request. But, you can use Hershey syrup or another syrup from a health food store that doesn't have any of the allergens. Maybe make it with less formula and build it up so he gets used to the taste.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"