Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Won't take a bottle

What are you doing about lo's not taking bottles? She was taking Tommee tippee but now won't. She started with similac bottles and did good for a couple days and then took an avent a couple times.. But lately she's really fighting them! I left her with my mom twice this week to go run errands and once my mom wasn't able to get her to take it but kept her happy till I got home. Then yesterday she screamed for 30 min before I could get back home to nurse. Ill probably be going back to work soon and idk what in going to do. Its breaking my heart.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Won't take a bottle

• My LO is the same. I'm interested to see what others say. I'm lucky to have a Canadian mat leave though.
  • We experienced a regression with taking the bottle for a week when I went back to work (one day he went 6 hours before I could get home) and ultimately what worked was going warmer. MH had gone warmer mid week, but Friday tried even warmer and it did the trick. He also had minimal success standing and bouncing and talking to LO, which seemed to distract him enough to take an ounce a few times. But it was the temperature of the milk that got him back to taking 4 ounce bottles.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Going through the same thing right now.  LO started refusing them out of the blue. We tried a faster nipple but she just doesnt want the bottle.  We are trying to introduce a sippy cup since she is willing to at least try that.   Would love to see what advice people give!
  • Try the Lansinoh Momma bottle! My 5 month old would never take a bottle and I was in the same situation. I couldn't ever leave her then we tried this bottle and now she takes that bottle plus the playtex ventaire! Its worth a shot :
  • I was in the same boat. I started giving LO a bottle at 2 weeks old every now and then just so that he would take it. He took AVENT and then the Tommee Tippee ones no problem. Around 3 months old he went on a bottle strike that only last week we finally broke.

Here is what we did: WARM bottles- like almost hot- made a HUGE difference. We also only stuck to one bottle. I kept switching between 3-4 different ones thinking that would make a difference- finally picked one and kept on it. I also switched to a faster flowing nipple. He also won't take the bottle if anyone is holding him- I have to lay him on the floor and give it to him that way. The first couple of times I distracted him with the TV. I also got my mom to give it to him. I left him with her for a period of time that would include 2 bottles so that he would get them back to back. Now he will take it from me no problem.

I know it is frustrating but keep trying and if you have someone else (even DH) try I find that works best first! GL! I also did try the sippy cup but that was an epic fail. So we went back to bottles.

• I third the warm bottle thing. When DS is very cranky we make sure that the milk is almost hot before even trying to give it to him. Also make sure LO is calm before you give the bottle. If LO gets upset stop giving the bottle snuggle and bounce until LO is calm and then try again. Sometimes I'll let him do a few sucks on a pacifier and then switch it out for the bottle before he realizes there is no milk coming out of it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine won't take a bottle either! I've tried 4 or 5 different types, fast nipple, etc. I will try warming the milk!!  

I am SO TIRED & I know this isn't popular, but I am not a fan of nursing. I'd LOVE DD2 to take formula at this point. I haven't been away from her for more than 3- 4 hours and I am desperate for a break.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ok... So last night I tried a few new things at once. When I nurse I use a nipple shield. And I have a medela bottle that came with my pump that I haven't used... So I made the milk hot and put my nipple shield over the medela nipple and bigolly she took it. Holding the shield was a challenge so I sat her with her back to my tummy watching tv and used one hand on the bottle and one holding the shield to the nipple. Then mid bottle I took the shield off and she took it. I've tried that with breast to bottle and no luck so now I'm trying to decide what did the trick. I just now tried the medela alone, no luck. Did the shield thing again.... Success!! I want to try a breast flow bottle maybe that will provide the same concept. I just hear her swallow extra air with this bottle and I can't see a sitter grasping it like I do.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"