March 2013 Moms

POLL: False Alarm Trips to L&D?

I tried to make this a poll, but my poll feature does not seem to be working on this computer.  This morning, we had our 2nd false alarm trip to the hospital.  The first wasn't really a false alarm since I was pretty confident that I was not in labor.  This morning, I knew I wasn't in labor but thought my water broke.  I'm starting to feel like the boy who cried wolf.  So how many false alarms have you had?  Please tell me I'm not the only person who will have made 3 trips to the hospital
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: POLL: False Alarm Trips to L&D?

• I haven't had any with this one, and I didn't with the last one either.
  • I have had 3! Ugh! So discouraging. But when I went Thursday they said I was in labor it just wasn't strong enough yet. Still contracting, but not strong enough. 4 days later!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • none with any of my pregnancies.  But in my opinion its better to go in even if you get sent home.  Better safe than sorry.Smile
  • I've had 2, and they were close enough to the real thing to have my dr's convinced both times that I'd have a baby within a few hours.

First time I was 35 weeks, and having painful contractions - 8 an hour for 5 hours before I called.  Dr checked me and said I was 4-5cm, so sent me to L&D.  They continued for another 7 hours, then suddenly stopped.  I didn't progress past the 4-5cm, so they sent me home.

Second time I was 36.5 weeks, and had 8 hours of painful contractions - 6-8 an hour.  Dr checked me and found that I was 5cm, 80% effaced, but that my cervix was high.  She was pretty convinced that I was in active labor, and told me to walk for an hour to see if the baby would drop at all.  After an hour of walking and no progress, she sent me home.

I've since had several days where I've had several hours of painful contractions, but they've eventually stopped.  At my last appointment, I was 5cm, 90% effaced, baby was at 0 station, so I'm very concerned that once real labor hits, I'm going to have like 10 minutes to get to the hospital.  I have an appointment tomorrow, so I'll know if I've progressed at all... here's hoping...

• We have had one so far.. I'm almost 38 weeks. I am just trying to hold out until the real thing because out first visit cost us almost $3K after insurance!! 

Until its the real deal, I dont want to breathe anywhere near our L & D. 

• None, sorry. I don't go until I literally cannot walk or talk through contractions. It's always better safe than sorry, though.  

• I had bright red bleeding for about an hour at 11pm last Monday.  I called my doctor and was sent to L&D to be checked.  I didn't feel like I was in labor, but apparently they thought I could have been.  Turns out I had some broken blood vessels from dilating to 4cm and fully effacing.  I wasn't having regular contractions, though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageshibby00:

None, sorry. I don't go until I literally cannot walk or talk through contractions. It's always better safe than sorry, though.  

This.  When it is real, you will know without a doubt.

• imageMrsWindyCity:
    I haven't had any with this one, and I didn't with the last one either.

This, but I'm only 36 weeks with this one.

• 0. But this is my 6th so I have learned to tell the difference. When my water breaks and/or I'm in enough pain that I'm no longer happy or carrying conversations, then I will go in.
    *Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • Due Friday with baby #3, no false alarms yet. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself.
    Charlotte March 2009 Gwyneth June 2011 Team Green March 2013
  • No false alarms here.  I agree with pp, I think when I'm in labor I'll know.  I would hate to go to the hospital and be sent home!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had to go at 30 weeks and 34 weeks for preterm labor and was put on bedrest. Then I finally thought I was in labor the other day only to be told it was not doing anything and to go home and wait until the pain was "like you see in the movies". So...three visits so far and no baby yet! I am feeling very positive about the next few days, though.

image image
  • None yet. However we went in this past Thursday to fill out all the paperwork and what not and the nurse asked if I have had to come in to L&D yet. When I told her no she was surprised. So seems like false alarms are pretty normal!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageBabyD316:
    I have had 3! Ugh! So discouraging. But when I went Thursday they said I was in labor it just wasn't strong enough yet. Still contracting, but not strong enough. 4 days later!

im in the same boat - Pre term labor but not strong enough - ugh I'm 3 days later!! 

• I've had one trip in to stop contractions at 36 weeks and now this last Friday I went in but I was told that my contractions weren't strong enough. :( I'm still having contractions and still have to count but now afraid to go in! The nurse looked at me kind of weird and basically said "why are you here? You shouldn't come in unless your pain is a 5 on a 1-5 scale" are you kidding! I'll need an epidural by then and this is my third baby - I really don't want to plop it out in the backseat of our car :/ - I'm 39 weeks tomorrow.
  • imagemae0111:

I've had 2, and they were close enough to the real thing to have my dr's convinced both times that I'd have a baby within a few hours.

First time I was 35 weeks, and having painful contractions - 8 an hour for 5 hours before I called.  Dr checked me and said I was 4-5cm, so sent me to L&D.  They continued for another 7 hours, then suddenly stopped.  I didn't progress past the 4-5cm, so they sent me home.

Second time I was 36.5 weeks, and had 8 hours of painful contractions - 6-8 an hour.  Dr checked me and found that I was 5cm, 80% effaced, but that my cervix was high.  She was pretty convinced that I was in active labor, and told me to walk for an hour to see if the baby would drop at all.  After an hour of walking and no progress, she sent me home.

I've since had several days where I've had several hours of painful contractions, but they've eventually stopped.  At my last appointment, I was 5cm, 90% effaced, baby was at 0 station, so I'm very concerned that once real labor hits, I'm going to have like 10 minutes to get to the hospital.  I have an appointment tomorrow, so I'll know if I've progressed at all... here's hoping...

whats your due date? Maybe if u hit the 39 week mark they will induce (if you want to be) 

• 4! This last time was twice in 2 days... Friday night I was in labor but wasn't progressing very quickly and then the contractions stopped on their own! Ugh!
  • imagemae0111:

I've had 2, and they were close enough to the real thing to have my dr's convinced both times that I'd have a baby within a few hours.

That is rough- one of the worst I have heard.  I have had one.  Contractions every 2-3 minutes but only 1-2 cm dilated.  They watched me, I drank water and they stopped.  Induction planned for Thursday.  Just.  ready.  to.  go..... 

• None this time,  but I had 3 in my first pregnancy.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers ____________________________________________________________________________ *4 angel babies in heaven*__ *DX with Progesterone defficiency June 2010* *Haylie Marie & Makenzie Shayanne adopted November 2010* **SURPRISE! !ALL NATURAL MIRACLE BFP!!12/26/10 (MERRY CHRISTMAS)** ***Alexander Robert born 8/20/11, 11:01pm, 8lbs. 2oz. 20.5inches*** **BFP 06/26/2012.. Baby B #2 Due 04/01/2013**
  • None last time and so far none this time!

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• imagetmsgrl:
    imageshibby00:

None, sorry. I don't go until I literally cannot walk or talk through contractions. It's always better safe than sorry, though.  

This.  When it is real, you will know without a doubt.

I really hate when people say this. Not only is this not true because not every labor or pregnancy is the same but it's just a stupid statement. Two of my girlfriends were in active labor dilated to 9cm and 7 before they went in for back pain. They couldn't feel the contractions. I on the other hand can feel even the lightest braxton hicks. Don't assume you will feel every contraction and know that "this is it". Better safe than sorry, go in if you feel like something isn't right.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 2 so far. starting to efface & dilate though.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Didn't go in but did call the doctor thinking it might have been time. While she didn't tell me not to go, she gave me enough info for me to decide it was still too early (which was right).
  • None. This baby seems really comfy in there, which is fine by me! I had more BH in month 7 than I do now! I have maybe 2 or 3 mild contractions throughout a day, that's it. Nothing doing for now, at 39 weeks.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• imagehuntlavender:
    imagemae0111:

whats your due date? Maybe if u hit the 39 week mark they will induce (if you want to be) 

I'm 38 weeks today, due the 18th.  They did tell me that they'd induce me at 39W if I stopped having contractions.  They're a little concerned that because I've been so dilated for so long that I'm starting to risk infection, so I'm kind of wondering if they'll break my water sooner than that. 

The history in my family is really fast deliveries once labor is really noticable.  My mom had her first after 30 mins of active labor, so was admitted early with her last 2.  My sister made it to the hospital 10 minutes before her last was born.  So I'm very concerned about not making it to the hospital since I'm so dilated and almost completely effaced...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"