2nd Trimester

Registry items: Must vs Bust?

Hello my fellow soon-to-be Mommies! I have a question for some 2nd time Moms or others with some insider knowledge.

What were some things you registered for and LOVED/used all the time and some things that you could've done without or thought why did we get this?

Thanks so much...I've just added a few basic items to my registery and would love to hear what items were a must and what were a bust!

Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker image

Re: Registry items: Must vs Bust?

• We still use our pnp as a ball pit for ds. Don't register for too many towels or clothes. 1. You don't need that many towels. 2. People are going to buy cute clothes anyway. Also the bumbo hardly got any use over here. Ds only used it for 2 mons max. Not worth it to me. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The wipes warmer was pointless to me. Ours dried the wipes out and we kept having to add water to it to keep them moist. A diaper genie is nice but it can get expensive and doesn't always hold the smell in. Up until a week ago we used ours but at the expense of paying about $360 a year on refills. IMO, that money could've been used for diapers. Now we use a trash can with a lid. Also, the swaddle blankets with the velcro or snaps was a dumb buy. Just use a receiving blanket and all will be well.
  • Loading the player...
  • The swing was a lifesaver. As PP said the swaddle blankets are pretty dumb, receiving blankets worked just fine.
    imageimageimageimage

• This is my first child, I did aide in running a daycare and have watched young children my whole life.  I would say the BEST thing EVER is the Boppy!  I buy one for every expecting mother that I am even merely acquaintenances with.  They are used for a very long time, and babies just seem to love them.  Also, bottles with liners, like the Playtex ones are awesome.  In the middle of the night when you don't feel like even rinsing, you just throw the liner away and all you have to worry about is the nipple and an easily washable bottle in the morning!  Best of luck :)
    This too shall pass.
  • Although 2 PP above said that the velcro swaddlers were dumb I actually found them handy. But probably only because our child was quite strong and would fight her arms out of the receiving blanket we'd swaddle her in and then she'd start crying. She had a harder time escaping the velcro one and she ended up sleeping through the night.

We had too many towels, newborn clothing, and newborn diapers.

What I really loved having is our bouncer, swing, and sleep sheep. The sleep sheep I guess isn't really necessary but it really did help my child fall asleep sooner with less crying when she got a little older.

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's funny because I loved my bumbo and wipe warmer. I was tight on space with DS so the bumbo was nice because It gave me less time with the big highchair. I did all my feedings in the bumbo and had the tray which was nice because he could play with that. I would put baby food on the tray and he would play rubbing his hands in the food forever and the I could put the tray in he dishwasher. The wipe warmer would dry certain brands out, like luvs, but the huggies kind I bought it didn't. It was nice because I had a winter baby and I could change his diaper without waking him.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Must Haves:  Pack N Play with cuddle cove (baby slept in the newborn cuddle cove in our room for the first 3 months vs bassinet).  Then you can use it for nap time in another room, play pen if you have to leave the room, etc.  Bouncy seat - great for putting them in when young (i put this in the bathroom with me when I showered so baby was right there, also we fed her in it sometimes) Play Mat (our DD loved this) Velcro swaddlers - we got one for free in a class we signed up for and I actually liked it even though some people just said it was a waste...great for middle of the night when you are tired and my baby liked it...High Chair - If you have the space...I would recommend....may not be a necessity, but I love mine...it's on wheels so I can move her around close to me in the kitchen...she's almost 18 months and still uses it and will continue to until new baby needs it.  Jumperoo - not a "necessity" either, but my DD freakin' loved this thing

Done without:  Bumbo-my baby only fit in it for like 2 months b/c she had chubby legs...I liked the bouncy seat better) Wipe Warmer-I never got one b/c I think they are pointless

These are just some things, hope it helps!!

BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Wipes warmer- It's not a must-have but we used it the first couple of weeks and could usually change the baby without waking him up.

Swaddling blankets- We had 2 velcro ones and one swaddling blanket.  We used all 3 constantly the first few months.  With this baby I'm getting more swaddlers and the muslin swaddling blankets.

Swing & bouncy seat-  I don't know what I would've done without these two, LIFESAVERS!

Graco Pack N Play w/ Newborn Napper-  Baby slept in our room for first 6 months and it was a great investment.  It has a little bassinet for when baby is smaller and likes to be cuddled while sleeping but you can remove that and the changing table part and it's just a regular PNP.  

Sling/Baby Carrier-  This is personal preference but I loved being able to wear baby while I did stuff around the house, took the dog for a walk, etc.  I have a Baby Bjorn carrier and a HotSlings sling.  A lot of people like the Moby wraps too but I haven't tried one.  

Heavy weight gauze diapers-  Use for burp cloths.  I'm not saying not to get some cute burp cloths too but if you have a baby that spits up you're going to end up throwing some of them away.  Plus, these soak up the mess instead of just moving it around like some burp cloths do.  

BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • There is absolutely NOTHING on a registry that is a Must... since it is Your baby and your responsibility to make any purchases you need to in order to make sure it is cared for. No

Proud Mommy to: Boy-1995/Boy-1998/Girl-2003/Boy-2004/Girl-2011/ Fraternal twin girls-2013  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • BC&LMBC&LM member

imageCinnamon Haze:
    There is absolutely NOTHING on a registry that is a Must... since it is Your baby and your responsibility to make any purchases you need to in order to make sure it is cared for. No

What the heck is your problem? She didn't come in here crying that she better get everything off her registry because she can't afford her baby otherwise.  I could see a response like this if she had, but with the way she worded her original post, there was no need for a response like yours.  I know my family, for one, wants to buy stuff for our baby and appreciates our suggestions on the registry. If we don't get everything we want, we will buy the rest ourselves, and I am assuming the OP probably plans to do the same.

• I used bumbo a ton!! It has been a great place to feed little one. Although dont ever leave them on an elevated place like a table unless you are there to watch them. She has figured out how to pop herself out of it!
    I love the high chairs that you can fit in a breakfast room chair so you don't have the added clutter.
    Sleep sheep is also awesome!
    My first dd loved the little musical table that she could pull up and play with.
    Exersaucer is also a definite go to but it takes up a ton of room.
  • We hated our travel system, I know now not to bother with them. We picked up a chicco liteway stroller (the original one, they make a plus now) and LOVED it. I wish I had registered for that and just a infant seat and a stroller frame.

We registered for a full size highchair, I returned it and got a FP space saver one... love it.

Love our diaper genie, cloud b sleep giraffe sound machine (we'll be buying the sheep for DS), the FP Precious Planet projection mobile (it has a remote, it's amazing).

I wish I had registered for a cart cover.

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• imageBC&LM:

imageCinnamon Haze:
    There is absolutely NOTHING on a registry that is a Must... since it is Your baby and your responsibility to make any purchases you need to in order to make sure it is cared for. No

What the heck is your problem? She didn't come in here crying that she better get everything off her registry because she can't afford her baby otherwise.  I could see a response like this if she had, but with the way she worded her original post, there was no need for a response like yours.  I know my family, for one, wants to buy stuff for our baby and appreciates our suggestions on the registry. If we don't get everything we want, we will buy the rest ourselves, and I am assuming the OP probably plans to do the same.

this. go away. 

• and I still use the cart cover because DS licks and chews on EVERYTHING
  • I hated those packages of flannel receiving blankets (like Gerber).  I got like 3 packages of 4 each, so I had at least 12 of them!  They were cute, but so useless... they are way too small to swaddle even a newborn with or use on the floor for tummy time.  They weren't very soft either and not really big enough to cover the baby in the car seat or while holding.  I wasn't crazy about the Swaddle Me or other velcro swaddles.  We had really good luck with the Miracle blanket, and I plan to buy some Aden and Anais swaddle blankets this time too. The nurses can teach you to swaddle at the hospital... it's really not hard!  

I thought the Bumbo was sort of a waste of money too.  My daughter's legs were too chubby I guess, so she couldn't use it for very long.  She always looked so uncomfortable in it too.  We used our bouncer most of the time.  It wasn't a fancy one (Fisher Price, around $30) but she loved it.   

Also, someone else mentioned it and I 100% agree- there are tons of cute burp cloths out there, but you are literally using them to absorb spit up.  We bought the generic white Gerber cloth diapers and used them as burp cloths.  They work great, come in a big package for a good price, and I never feel bad getting them dirty.  We had a couple of burp cloths that I never used because I didn't want to stain them- they were too cute!   

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I got a Puj tub for the sink and hated it with a passion. Unless your sink is exactly the right size it slips around and your newborn slips around in it. It was a pain.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• A couple of "must-haves" for us were the FP swing and the Graco PNP with newborn Napper! Those 2 things I wouldn't want to go without!  We used them every day/night for the first 5 months. Don't forget to get a nice quality baby monitor.  The one we registered for was not good quality. We had to go back to buy a better one.  Wish I had researched before registering. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just a few things that we loved:

Swing- it was a life saver those first few weeks and DS loved it.

Instead of a bumbo we bought the summer brand seat which is similar but grows with your baby.  It has a seatbelt and attaches to a seat, so we use it as a booster for him when we go out.  He's 20 months old and it still has plenty of room for him to grow.  it also came with an attachment with toys.

I LOVED the Moby wrap and I used it for a very long time with DS.   I will definitely be using it this time too.  Don't let the instructions discourage you.  Watch a good youtube video and once you get used to it's a breeze.  I also loved it because I had to fly with DS a few times, and because there is no metal or anything in it I could just wear DS through security.

I liked the swaddling blankets.  As PP said, my DS was really strong and would just bust out of a receiving blanket.

I also really loved our sound machine.  We still use it.  It was a huge help in drowning out the noise of our neighborhood.

The rock n' play was also a huge lifesaver for us.  DS had really bad reflux and laying flat in the crib just did not work.  We would put him in that rocker and he would go right out.  

Good luck!  Registries are so much fun.  I can't wait to do ours! 

We said goodbye to our sweet Taylor Ashley on August 8, 2012.We lost baby Noelle on May 1, 2015

Mom to Cam and Al, now expecting baby number 3, August 2016. Praying for lots of sticky baby dust!
  • Here is my list

Bassinet- Our bedroom is small so Pack N Play would not fit. Plus it had wheels so I would wheel it into other rooms and I could lay him down in it to nap. Had a vibrator on it and he loved that.

Halo Sleep Sacks- We used these in the hospital and I bought more for at home the fleece ones with sleeves are great that is what he slept in most nights (he was born in December)  he also did not like having his arms wrapped & swaddled

Bouncy Seat- My guy enjoyed his bouncy seat more than the swing. He would only tolerate the swing for like 10 minutes.

My Chicco Keyfit travel system- I loved my travel system it made getting him in and out so much easier just snap and go. The stroller was a breeze to open and close and use. 

Boppy Lounger Pillow-I used this quite a bit for play time so he would not be laying on the floor or to put him some place safe while I was doing something.

Temporal Swipe Thermometer- This is the kind you just swipe across their head. Loved this so easy to use 

Doorway Jumper- My son used the heck out of his. We will probably have to buy a new one with our new baby. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageCinnamon Haze:
    wow with the attitude... You don't even know any details. I plan to make a registry for my LO (my 2nd! *gasp*) because I plan to take advantage of the completion coupons not because I expect others to buy things for me. There is nothing wrong with creating a registry, get over yourself.
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • Loved: Halo sleepsacks-we always had to double swaddle (blanket swaddle beneath sleepsack) b/c DS could break out of most swaddles Swing Pack and play-great for travel! Jumper crib soother Seahorse Wipe warmer- not so much a must as extremely helping in keeping diaper changes as pleasant as possible Unnecessary: Bumbo Too many extra towels and blankets
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • imageBC&LM:

imageCinnamon Haze:

I think the horomones are running a little high over there! Her posts to a military wife today were downers.

• We loved our rock and play.  Dd slept in it every night until she was able to roll over.  It was easy to travel with too.  I wasn't able to carry dd for the first 2 months so I pushed her down the hall in the rock and play to her room to change her diaper.  It was a life saver and we will use it for this baby too.
    ~Dana
  • Must for us---
    Swaddle Blankets-Muslin. This was the only way that my LO slept for the first several weeks. I would suggest at least trying one. It made swaddling a breeze.

Boppy- Simply Fantastic for breastfeeding, propping baby in for a nap, tummy time, or helping baby to learn to sit. I used this thing every single day for months.

Bumbo- My daughter is VERY petite so we were able to use this for a LONG time. She was only 17 lbs on her first birthday so she didn't outgrow it for a while. I thought this was great for taking to dinner at restaurants. We used it instead of yucky public high chairs. If we were somewhere very casual we just sat her on the table in it. Or if we were in a booth it always fit perfectly. I can see where this is an expensive buy though if LO's outgrow it quickly.  

Cart/Buggy Cover- I still use it with my 3 yr old. It can also be used on most public highchairs.

The small bouncers are great as well because they can easily be moved from room to room while you are cleaning, getting dressed, showering...etc. 

Bust-
    Wipes Warmer- A total waste IMO. The wipes are barely warm so by the time you get them to LO's hiney they are already cooling down to the temp they would be straight for the wipes box. It's just as easy to warm it in your hand for a second.

Diaper Genie- We purchased this and several refills and used it for a month maybe. They do keep the odor in but you have to empty them daily. After a day or so of piling stinky diapers in it once you open it again you will be blown away by stink! And your entire house will be stinky for a while after that initial opening. This was my experience anyway...So it was kind of pointless. I started saving my plastic shopping bags and tying diapers up in them...put the diaper in, twist and then double the bag inside out, tie off. I know that's not environmentally friendly but neither is the diaper genie. That helped keep the smell at bay until the trash could be taken out.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you for all the great insight ladies!!! I hope you all have a wonderful pregnancy!

Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"