Stay at Home Moms

An etiquette question

So my friend is getting married in April. We got the invitation yesterday. I asked her where she was registered and she said that they did not register as they do not want boxed gifts. This means she wants cash or checks, right?

I am kind of surprised because she is very smart and it was not something I expected from her LOL

Tacky?? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: An etiquette question

• Yes. And a weird thing to say. Boxed gifts? Strange. I'd just get a gift card.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageLalaMama81:
    It's fine not to register. I think it is tacky to say "we don't want boxed gifts," though. If she had just said, "Oh, we decided not to register because there aren't really any housewares we need," it would have been fine.nbsp;

Also this. That would have been reasonable and less of a weird and bratty thing to say.

• Loading the player...
  • imageBostonKisses2:

Not necessarily.  Is she going to be moving long distance shortly after the wedding?  I know some people request no boxed gifts because they're making a long distance move in the near future.  Maybe they already have a lot of stuff they need, and they're hoping for gift cards or cash instead so they can fill in the gaps and not have to worry about duplicates?  I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt in this case lol.

Honestly since she didn't put it directly on the invite, I don't have as much of a problem with it, and would be kind of glad because I wouldn't have to worry about trying to find a gift, and can easily get a gift card instead. 

No, they aren't moving. They are currently living with her dad though since she is starting PA school and he is in nursing school. But yes, atleast it was not in the invite!  

• I wouldn't think twice about it unless it wason the invite either. 
  • imageLalaMama81:
    It's fine not to register. I think it is tacky to say "we don't want boxed gifts," though. If she had just said, "Oh, we decided not to register because there aren't really any housewares we need," it would have been fine. 

This! And it's just a dumb idea because people enjoy giving boxed gifts! So, by not registering, they're opening themselves up getting a bunch of gifts they don't like, want, or need. It's inevitable. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• She obviously wants gift cards or a check...I'd buy her some dishes. But I'm bitchy like that. 
  • I think the weird part for me was her saying "boxed gifts" but in the end I'll give her money. I've known her my entire life and love her all the same. 
  • imageKateMW:
    She obviously wants gift cards or a check...I'd buy her some dishes. But I'm bitchy like that. 

LOL  

• id012id012 member
    I don't think its tacky. I mean your here friend so she was probably just being honest with you.
    If she actually wrote that on the invite or is telling every guest that then that's pretty crappy.
    But I would think that she just told u that because your her friend and she felt she could be honest with you.
    Around here you only would register for a shower. Everyone gives cash for the actual wedding gift.
  • imagejoyfullyfound:

imageLalaMama81:
    It's fine not to register. I think it is tacky to say "we don't want boxed gifts," though. If she had just said, "Oh, we decided not to register because there aren't really any housewares we need," it would have been fine. 

This! And it's just a dumb idea because people enjoy giving boxed gifts! So, by not registering, they're opening themselves up getting a bunch of gifts they don't like, want, or need. It's inevitable. 

Yeah this! Not registering is DUMB. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageid012:
    I don't think its tacky. I mean your here friend so she was probably just being honest with you. If she actually wrote that on the invite or is telling every guest that then that's pretty crappy. But I would think that she just told u that because your her friend and she felt she could be honest with you. Around here you only would register for a shower. Everyone gives cash for the actual wedding gift.
    This is what I was thinking. I normally would think this is rude, but you said she's a lifelong friend. My first thought is that she feels close enough to be completely honest with you about her true desires.
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagejoyfullyfound:

imageLalaMama81:

Oh yes, and I go one step further - I am the anti-gift receipt giver!!  I also am anti giving cash/gift cards for 99.9% of all situations, don't care how much you want cash, sorry!!  (if you don't want a box, you get a basket, storage bin, or gift bag LOL)

She's SO setting herself up here!  (Random Silver picture frames, wine goblets, random wall hangings, sheet sets one size too small and wrong colors, and none of it from higher quality retailers..)  Even if you don't want "box gifts" register somewhere even if it's for 20 items total!!!!  Who doesn't need an extra set of their everyday dishes, or silverware??? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Even if you DO register, there is no telling you will get the stuff that is on your registry...  and not the same item on each registry if you have more than one.  People always get you stuff off the registry too.  We have a collection of crystal we never thought we needed or wanted.
  • imageajc0121:
    imageBostonKisses2:

Not necessarily.  Is she going to be moving long distance shortly after the wedding?  I know some people request no boxed gifts because they're making a long distance move in the near future.  Maybe they already have a lot of stuff they need, and they're hoping for gift cards or cash instead so they can fill in the gaps and not have to worry about duplicates?  I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt in this case lol.

Honestly since she didn't put it directly on the invite, I don't have as much of a problem with it, and would be kind of glad because I wouldn't have to worry about trying to find a gift, and can easily get a gift card instead. 

No, they aren't moving. They are currently living with her dad though since she is starting PA school and he is in nursing school. But yes, atleast it was not in the invite!  

If they're currently living with her dad space might be an issue in terms of storing gifts and they won't need housewares for a while. Around here cash is the standard wedding gift, so I wouldn't think twice about that. 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMesmrEwe:
    imagejoyfullyfound:

imageLalaMama81:

Oh yes, and I go one step further - I am the anti-gift receipt giver!!  I also am anti giving cash/gift cards for 99.9% of all situations, don't care how much you want cash, sorry!!  (if you don't want a box, you get a basket, storage bin, or gift bag LOL)

She's SO setting herself up here!  (Random Silver picture frames, wine goblets, random wall hangings, sheet sets one size too small and wrong colors, and none of it from higher quality retailers..)  Even if you don't want "box gifts" register somewhere even if it's for 20 items total!!!!  Who doesn't need an extra set of their everyday dishes, or silverware??? 

I am this way too. Make a comment about gifts and you've earned yourself a random azz gift. Gifts are gifts. They are not required. People need to stop acting like they are. It is someone doing something thoughtful for another. Do not try to take the "thought" out of my thoughtful.
  • Yeah, I guess her saying that is a bit tacky, but then just get her cash. It's not like she needs to be taught a lesson......people are just tacky sometimes, and it can't be helped by like, buying her a toaster oven.
    daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
  • I don't think it's tacky- you asked her! If she had called you up and said "hey, I really hope you give me money for our wedding", that would be tacky. I agree with a previous poster that I don't think she needs to be "taught a lesson" because I really don't think she did anything wrong (she didn't put "cash gifts only" on the darn invitation). If they live with her dad, they probably don't have a place to put a bunch of crock pots and picture frames so I would just respect that and move on. I always give a gift at the shower and write a check for the wedding, because it's a giant PITA for the bride and groom to deal with transporting a bunch of boxes after the wedding (especially if the wedding isn't close to their house and/ or they're leaving for the honeymoon the next day). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it is pretty tacky, although I think asking for cash in general is tacky. It's like saying, "we don't want thoughtful gifts, just open your wallets."

I'd be tempted to get her a gift...and put it in a gift bag.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We didnt register because we didnt need anything. We already had a new house and it was complete. The gal who did our invites has been in that biz for 30 years so she worded it for us. Now I cant recall how we worded it but it was on our invites. Also only giving money rather then gifts in come cultures. We did end up with some random gifts....sad thing is they are in the closet still....since 2010.
    "You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
This discussion has been closed.