Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Pediatricians' recommendations and such

I've seen several times that some pediatrician's recommend starting solids earlier (at about 4 months) to avert allergies. My own pediatrician said to wait until 6 months to avert allergies. 

While I trust DS's doctor, I also would like to do research myself (not just about when to start solids, but other things as well, for example, when to start potty training). How do you research these things? The internet is not reliable, nor is any one person's (the doctor's) word.

Also, how long has your pediatrician been in practice? Maybe that's why mine recommended 6 months; he's been a doctor for at least 20 years. Are the "newer" ones more knowledgeable, or does it really matter?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pediatricians' recommendations and such

• I think pediatrician recommendations vary for several reason, regardless of how long they have been practicing. Some closely follow the AAP guidelines, some don't. Some rely more on previous experiences or anecdotal evidence they have witnessed from their practices or fellow doctors.

You can use the internet to research but you should consider the source and use sources that have actual references to research done within the last 5-10 years. WebMD, John Hopkins, and Kellymom all are good resources that keep their information updated. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagepersephonerose:

I think pediatrician recommendations vary for several reason, regardless of how long they have been practicing. Some closely follow the AAP guidelines, some don't. Some rely more on previous experiences or anecdotal evidence they have witnessed from their practices or fellow doctors.

You can use the internet to research but you should consider the source and use sources that have actual references to research done within the last 5-10 years. WebMD, John Hopkins, and Kellymom all are good resources that keep their information updated. 

Thank you. I'll check it out. 

• Loading the player...
  • No matter how old or experienced a doctor is, they should be keeping up with current research and practices. Your doctor should not be so out of date that they don't know of recent developments and new information out there. If anything, so they can explain to you why something you heard is incorrect and what advice to follow or ignore. I understand each doctor is a bit different, but they should still have the medical knowledge.
  • With many things you'll just know when your child is ready or you'll know if something seems off.  There's no set time or deadline for really anything when it comes to kids because each one is unique.  I've begun solids as early as four months and as late as somewhere between 6-7 months and you'd never know the difference between my three older kids. 

Potty training has such a huge variance in age that even if your pedi gives you a time frame I'm guessing it will be too large to be of much help.  Saying "between two and three and a half" is a big window of time.  Trust me on this one, you'll know when your child is ready to start potty training, or, you'll try training and either quickly realize they are ready or realize they aren't and you can try again in a few more months.

I agree with the other responses that all doctors, no matter how long or how short they have been in practice should be up to date on the latest recommendations but I trust my doctor to know them and also include his years of experience in dealing with his patients to give me "real" advice, not just quote research constantly.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• At 4 months the only solid we're giving is oatmeal cereal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Best advice is read books and reliable resources - other moms, your mom, friends, family. Most importantly trust your instinct. Our pedi said no solids until DD can sit up on her own unassisted. I started a little early because she was reaching for our food. But I was only giving her small spoonfuls here and there, not like full meals. And I didn't force it - if she was spitting out I would just stop and try again later. Solids are not very important at such a young age for nutrition - it's mainly just so they learn how to eat. She still gets plenty of BM.

As far as potty training, you should look into elimination communication. DS was fully potty trained at 18 months and it was so easy. It's so great to stop buying and changing diapers especially when we are out and about.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our doc has been practicing for 25 plus years but I feel he is still pretty up to date. He lets me know what the newer research was saying but he also tells me what he seems to know from experience. I feel that if I can  not trust my docs info then I will find one that I can trust. But i do trust him because he has done this more than anyone I know.

I take what I see on the internet with a grain of salt. I dont always listen to other mothers either though because there are some things others are comfortable with doing that I would not do.

As far as eating, I started our son on cereal at 4 months really to just introduce him to foods. I only really fed him a few tablespoons a day just to try and get him to learn how to eat. It wasn't until about 6-7 months I started other foods. There are some foods I will not introduce until I know they are safe. I will not feed my son peanut butter or honey more for a choking hazard than a food allergy. I see some parents who have started their baby on solids early and now have issues with constipation even if they are drinking juices.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"