Pregnant after 35

is anyone just feeling too old to be pregnant!

i am 40 and this is my second, i had my 1st at 37, and i had really no issues with that baby, even though i gained 50lbs! this baby, i have only gained 10lbs and i am so achy all the time, my pelvic muscles and bones are killing me every night! i have other issues as well, amenia, diabetes, strong braxton hicks, sick, but i just feel like this whole pregnancy has been challenging for me, maybe it's my age?
BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: is anyone just feeling too old to be pregnant!

• I think it's just this pregnancy. Every one is different, as I hear all the time.

I'm 38, this is my first, and it's been a roller coaster of short periods of comfort interrupted by longer stretches of exhaustion, morning sickness, headaches, sciatica, carpal tunnel, congestion and nosebleeds, etc etc etc.

My sister had her kids in her late 20s/early 30s and each one of her pregnancies was very different.

Hang in there! You get a beautiful child at the end of it, right?
    *********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• Bite your tongue!  Big Smile

I am 43 and a FTM with diabetes and a thyroid disorder and feel very thankful this pregnancy thing has been pretty easy for me.  I have had back pain if I do to much and it's getting a little worse lately.  The other night my hips hurt a little bit but nothing major...yet!  My biggest complaints have been maternity pants that just won't stay up and the tiredness throughout the entire pregnancy.  Only 28 days to go!

Keep your chin up and take it one day at a time.  Your LO will be here before you know it!

• Loading the player...
  • I think I am feeling more tired & achy this time around, buit not because of my age (39).  Rather, because I have to keep up with a toddler who is just a ball of energy most days.  Also, a friend who has 2 kids said she was definitely more sore toward the end of her second pregnancy (more backaches, round ligament pain, etc) probably becuase everything had already "been adjusted" or "stretched out" by the first pregnancy.
    Son #1 is already 2! Not too much longer until Son No.2 arrives! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I think it's a little harder for me this go round more so because I'm chasing a 4 year old.  So I can't sit on the couch at night like I did before if I felt bad.  I'm 36 this time.  The m/s was worse in the beginning this time, but that seems to be getting better.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My Ob told me that with subsequent pregnancies, your body sort of picks up where it left off in terms of symptoms and it physically affecting you. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep...this is my first and I am 37. Even though pre-pregnancy I was in much better shape than I was at 27 I still tell DH all the time that I am too old for this and we should have done this 10 years ago. Ugh...it's been pretty rough. We are one and done!
  • imagecfitz16:
    My Ob told me that with subsequent pregnancies, your body sort of picks up where it left off in terms of symptoms and it physically affecting you. 

I'm sorry, but what does that even mean? Since every trimester is different, how does one's body "pick up where it left off?" That makes no sense to me.

My friends and family who have had more than one baby have had VASTLY different experiences with each pregnancy. My sister had bad nausea and vomiting most if not all of the way through her 1st pregnancy and then nothing but headaches through the 2nd. Just as an example. And my coworker says that if she had had the same experience with her 1st as she has had with her 3rd, she'd have never gotten pregnant again-- her carpal tunnel was so bad with the 3rd baby that she had to leave work an extra 6 weeks earlier than the birth...

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• I will turn 41yo next month and I felt much more tired during the first trimester with this one than I did with my previous two. However, my energy levels are starting to pick up (finally) and I am starting to feel better.

Ultimately, fatigue is the thing I notice most. My first two were close together and when I came home from work in the evenings, I could put my feet up a little and just play with the kids. Now, my kids are school age, so when I get home from work, I am running the kids to the practices, games, etc. so I don't stop until around 9:30pm. Then, I have to make lunches, pack backpacks and get ready for the next day.

This baby will learn to be an "on-the-go" baby, because life will not stop.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • These sounds like symptoms similar to what I hear from my younger pregnant friends. Personally, I've had to work through feelings of "looking too old" to be pregnant...mainly I find it strange that I am pregnant and have white hairs! ...of course, I know that some women get white hairs in their 20s! LOL! Hope you feel better soon!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am having a pretty easy pregnancy at age 41 I think.  I never got morning sickness more than nausea which I could live with.  Sure I have diabetes now, but it's not too bad, and I've been having horrible back pain on some days, but I feel okay most of the time.

I feel old when I go to my doctor's and see the kids in their 20's who are expecting.  Plus my doctor today seemed surprised that I'm doing so well despite my age.  Hardy har har.

• EMF70EMF70 member

I'm a FTM and will deliver at 43.  I have said from the beginning that I feel like pregnancy was meant for younger bodies.  I am completely depleted of energy and can't walk like I used to.  Living in NYC, I'm used to walking quite a bit.  Now I find myself taking cabs for short distances.  So sad.  I don't know how I'm going to have the energy for a newborn.

Luckily, I haven't had any medical issues.  So in that regard, I feel blessed.

• imageMT-Head:
    I think I am feeling more tired & achy this time around, buit not because of my age (39).  Rather, because I have to keep up with a toddler who is just a ball of energy most days.  Also, a friend who has 2 kids said she was definitely more sore toward the end of her second pregnancy (more backaches, round ligament pain, etc) probably becuase everything had already "been adjusted" or "stretched out" by the first pregnancy.

i agree with this. I think i'm more tired this pg because I am constantly chasing after my DD. First time around you can just lie on the couch to rest. I am giving away my job too because I just couldn't keep up with it all while pg. i guess it's partly because I'm not in my 20s but I think mostly because I have a lot more to do these days.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I remember going through pregnancies in late teens, early 20's and feeling horrible and hating pregnancy.  With this pregnancy I'm a lot more knowledgeable about what to do to ease symptoms (i.e. B6 for nausea).  I'm taking care of myself a lot more this time around.  I do feel run down and tired though...probably because I have a career & 3 teenagers.

At the last dr appt they checked my iron and the dr said it was low.  She mentioned that low iron may make me feel extra tired.  Now that I'm taking iron every day I've noticed a little more energy and I don't feel as run down.

• I am 40 years old too and lately I feel to old to be carrying this baby but I only have 4 weeks to go and it will be all over.   The other issues that you have mentioned no wonder you feel this way.  I am thankful I do not have these issues but I do feel more tired but I been blaming it on having 2 other kids as well.  When you are pregnant for the first time its only you and the baby but when you have to clean, get the boys ready for meals, bed and dealing with them every day it is more tiresome then when you were pregnant for the first time.  You only gained 10 pounds?   I am not going to say how much I have gained.     Good luck to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"