Babies: 3 - 6 Months

So Frustrated with Bedtime!

I keep thinking we're doing something wrong.  The past 2 nights my 13 week old DD has vomited her nighttime bottle.  She generally wakes 7-7:30 and is fed every 3-4 hours during the day.  The past 2 days she has had a bottle around 5-5:30.  We are trying to stick to a consistent bedtime routine at 7:30 which involves bath, story and bottle from Daddy.  She seems to want the bottle but then has vomited both nights.

i assume we are over feeding her when giving her the bottle just before bed? I'm not sure we'll have much success getting her to bed without a bottle.  As it is we have to walk her around at least 30 mins after feeding due to her reflux.  

How do I determine her bedtime? Shouldn't it be a consistent time every night to set a routine? How can I do this when she's fed on demand?

Any insight is appreciated.  I'm at FTM and I am just struggling with every aspect of motherhood at this point.  She is 3 months old and I still can't seem to get this down...  Thanks. 

Re: So Frustrated with Bedtime!

• My oldest is 2 and I am still figuring it all out, so don't feel bad. Motherhood isn't always natural, a lot it is trial and error.

Setting a bedtime routine can be tough, but you want to start planning it so the 3-4 hour gap between feedings will land you at a good bedtime, anywhere from 7-9 really at this age. This is all my opinion, so of course you can do what you like.

I wouldn't give that 7:30 bottle though if you are feeding her at 5:30, unless she is acting like she wants it. The vomiting is definitely telling you she is being overfed. And I understand not wanting to put to her to bed without a bottle first, because you'll just have to wake up again in two or three ours if you did that.

With my FB, by 4 months, she had a pretty set bedtime, and it started getting to where her body would start shutting it self down for the night at the same time every evening. I promise it gets better, 6 months and up are the most fun! But maybe try getting a little more of feeding schedule at least in the afternoon and evening to save your own sanity!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • CnAnACnAnA member
    We have a bottle just before bed as well.  She varies her wakeup time anywhere from 7:30 - 9:00 am, so her feeding schedule depends on what time she wakes up.  If her last pre-bedtime bottle is after 5:00, I just give her 3-4 oz in her last bottle instead of the 7 oz she usually gets.  (We start bedtime around 7:45, with her in bed by 8:30.) That way she still has her routine, but isn't gorging either. 

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Oct Angel Babies
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with PPs. Maybe either reduce the number of ounces at the bedtime tootle or maybe move the 530 bottle to 5 or so so she has more time to digest?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with both moving the 5:30 bottle up to 4:30 or 5 and also giving less right before bed. Sometimes W only eats 2-3 oz. before bed and passes out for the rest of the night. They don't always need a big meal to put them to sleep.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemrs.ike:
    We have a bottle just before bed as well.  She varies her wakeup time anywhere from 7:30 - 9:00 am, so her feeding schedule depends on what time she wakes up.  If her last pre-bedtime bottle is after 5:00, I just give her 3-4 oz in her last bottle instead of the 7 oz she usually gets.  (We start bedtime around 7:45, with her in bed by 8:30.) That way she still has her routine, but isn't gorging either. 

I'm intrigued!

7 oz?? Do you feed every 3 hours during the day?  We still only do 4oz every 3 hours or else she seems to spit it up. But I don't want to starve her if I should/could be giving her double! Total throughout the day is 28oz (6 feeds during day, 1 night).

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dont beat yourself up. Figuring out babies is hard and as soon as you get it, they change on you! I agree with your inkling that you should have a schedule and a common routine to go with it.

AT 3 months old, waking up at 7am, LO should be going to bed around 6-7pm (typically). Since her natural schedule is to be fed every 3-4 hours Id do that all day, and then as youre getting close to 6pm (late afternoon), adjust the timing a little so that her last bottle occurs at 6pm....or perhaps you'll have to give her two smaller bottles at the end of the day if she's due for her next feeding close to 6pm (small bottle before 6 and small bottle at 6).  THEN after the 6pm bottle, do a bath and pjs, book, rocking or snuggling etc which will give her the time she needs, relatively upright, to digest the bottle so she doesnt spew everywhere. Maybe adding a binky to the bedtime mix would help to give her an option to comfort suck without taking in food?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  •  I was VERY much with you with the whole struggling with motherhood. It seemed to come so much easier with other moms. I remember around month 3 and 4 just crying because I felt so stupid. I really do not think I was enjoying it very much somedays. Then of course I felt GUILTY because I didn't feel like I was enjoying it. BUT  DON'T kick yourself because it does get better as soon as we realize we are good mothers and we just need to give ourselves a break! DON'T  compare yourself with other moms. I know some moms seem so perfect and come across like super moms but they are not! I personally trusted in my faith in God and was very blessed with a great husband. Even if you feel overwhelmed, just take a breath and remember our parents did it and so can we! 

Sorry to hear about the vomiting. Our son was doing that all day. 

We had tried to use a few off brands.The Walmart brand especially made him vomit. I would suggest sticking with a brand like Similac.

Also, if she is only 13 weeks she is still pretty young. A bed time routine may not come easier until around month 4 or 5 month. As soon as our son was 4 months we started doing pretty much the same thing you are doing and it started to work more. We tried a little later bedtime around 8. 

Our routine works great. Bath, lotion and dressed for bed, bottle. We have a sound machine with a projector light we turn on while feeding him a bottle. Someone gave us a Lullaby CD and we turn it on for background music. We have personally let him cry it out but really he does not have to since he has gotten into the routine. Every baby is different though so you will find what works for you! It is just really good you are trying a routine. Some parents I know and end up with a rough situation on their hands later. Good luck and God bless you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"