3rd Trimester

Went to a birthing class tonight...

and found out that they insert a pee catheter!!!!!!! WTF! I definitely did not know this and is making me want an epidural even less!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Went to a birthing class tonight...

• Yeah... I remember that one stunning me, too.  I didn't even think about it being a possibility.  But it is what it is -- and if it means no or very little pain, I'm for it!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yup. That's about how I felt. I've come to terms with it though. Most moms have told me it will be the last thing on your mind when you're in labor.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • yeah I just learned this too but like PP said in the moment i wont care what else is going on just trying to push my LO out! lol
  • Wait tell you have back labor for 6 hours and are denied an epidural. You will be singing a different tune. I had a reaction to morphine, my heart slowed and my breathing. They were afraid an epidural (also a narcotic) would stop my heart. I honestly don't remember my breathing slowing but I do remember getting oxygen. I begged for that epidural, it took a shift change to get it. The new doctor said I had picked back up and was doing well, to let me try it. After that sweet relief, I could have cared less about a catheter. Plus you can't feel it anyways. Just make sure the insert it AFTER the epi. I was scared of removal after my c-section but honestly it didn't hurt like I thought it would either.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • They inserted it after the epi so I never felt it.  Pretty sure it wasn't in the whole time.  Just periodically drained my bladder....I think.  
  • Lol you didn't know?
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • You will not notice or care.  They put it in right after your epi so there is zero pain or discomfort.
  • At least they told, you right? Stick out tongue
  • That was a surprise for me as well, in L&D no less.  But it truly was not a big deal - I think they did it after the epi so I couldn't feel anything whatsoever.  And they removed it before I started pushing, again, couldn't feel anything.  I don't want to think too much about the specifics though because it will make me not want an epi this time around!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
  • I had thought about this today when watching a baby story. Funny how they don't show those parts ever. Makes me not want one even more now.
  • imageInkedMegs:
    Yeah... I remember that one stunning me, too.nbsp; I didn't even think about it being a possibility.nbsp; But it is what it is and if it means no or very little pain, I'm for it!

This. It never occured to me either but it makes sense. But I'll take what comes with the epidural if it means little or no pain.
  • They also do it in the birthing centre if your bladder is full and you're not going to the loo. They asked a woman to get out of the pool to do it. Of course it's not something that definitely happens but it can happen whether medicated or not.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Didn't even feel it being put in, barely felt when they took it out. Certainly wasn't painful at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I felt just like you ladies when I was pregnant with DS. I was terrified of the catheter, but the pain was just so intense because the contractions were coming so fast, that I knew I didn't care anymore. The only thing I cared about was stopping the pain. And they inserted it after they started the epi, so I didn't feel it going in, and didn't notice it at all while pushing DS out. During recovery when they took it out it wasn't any worse than removing a tampon.
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie Third Birthday tickers "You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the one person you can't live without."
  • imagevindaloo:
    Didn't even feel it being put in, barely felt when they took it out. Certainly wasn't painful at all.

This.  Plus, if your legs are numb, how did you expect to get up and use the bathroom.  Your bladder needs to be as empty as possible when giving birth to allow more room for the baby to descend.  The cath will be the LAST thing on your mind....trust me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm having my baby in a birthing center. So, epidural isn't going to happen. But, I remember being a little surprised when I found that out also. Made me want to go to the hospital even less.
  • imagemainerocks:

I didn't have one immediately. During pushing my bladder was getting in the way, so she drained it and then took it right back out. Although my epi didn't work all the way, I didn't feel the cath at all.

Plus, in the middle of all that was going on, it was not high on my list of things to think about. Don't worry! :o)

Ditto this.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a catheter put in me once for tests on my kidneys and honestly it wasn't that bad and I had nothing when it went in and out. It was a little uncomfortable when they put it in me to begin with but there was no pain.

I feel like if I end up having and epi the catheter really isn't a big deal to me. At least this time I won't feel anything!

image"Image">imageAnniversaryimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd like to go without the epi this time just to avoid the catheter. I had pain for at least a month afterward from it and thought I had a bladder infection the whole time until I was finally told that the catheters can cause damage that takes healing. 
  • I loved having a catheter! One less thing to worry about, haha
  • I had an epidural with my daughter and didn't require a catheter. I didn't get the epidural until I was 8-9cm though and they just had me pee before they did the epi.
    A friend of mine had a baby last month and she didn't have a catheter either (I was in the room for the entire labor/delivery). I suppose they could have done a quick in/out catheter to drain her bladder when I left to make a quick phone call but she didn't have one otherwise.
  • WOW....another thing I hadn't heard yet.  I'm thinking I better have a nice sit dow n wit h a couple of my friends to get more of the unmentioned details like this!!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imagepamperedgirl83:
    if a catheter is part of getting an epi its alright with me.

No pain at all and I enjoyed not having to get up to go to the bathroom for 2 days. I almost cried when they took it out. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"