3rd Trimester

Experienced Moms -- Ever experienced something worse than labor??

Just curious! Everyone says labor is the most intense pain a human being can endure, but has anyone ever experienced something worse? Or comparable?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Experienced Moms -- Ever experienced something worse than labor??

• I've heard (from women that have babies) that kidney stones are worse than labor.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMandG2010:
    I've heard from women that have babies that kidney stones are worse than labor.

This!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • For me, no.  It's the worst pain I've ever felt...and I've broken lots of bones before.  And yet, somehow you forget about the pain just enough to do it again. Wink

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Nope. 30+ hours of natural labor wins my vote. I thought my extremely painful miscarriage would prepare me, but...no. I would imagine that being burned alive or eaten alive by a pack of wolves would be more painful.

2nd place: Naturally miscarrying at 7 weeks

3rd place: Breaking my hand when I was 13

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Degenerating 11cm fibroid.  That was worse.  Mostly because there was no end in sight and it lasted for weeks.  In the grand scheme of things, labor is so short and in some ways feels "productive" so I'm not too concerned about doing it again.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Always Sunny's back b-tches!

• imagepinkiemo:
    In the grand scheme of things, labor is so short and in some ways feels "productive" so I'm not too concerned about doing it again.

This is true. The two redeeming qualities of labor are that you know it will end and you'll get a prize. :)

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hmm.... nope, not really. I get really bad leg cramps sometimes that just won't subside or go away for 10 mins or more, but they do indeed go away. My contractions were almost as intense as the leg cramp and only lasted for 60 seconds at a time, but there was no end in sight for hours so ...
  • FTM here, but I did ask that question around not so long ago and I was told by my mother that even being cut open on the spot for an emergency surgery before meds had any effect on her did not match being in labor for 60 hours and pushing for 36 hours.

My best friend said that contractions were fairly similar to having kidney stone pain, except the stone did not weigh 9.5 lbs and tear her up when it passed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, since I had an epi to dull labor pains, I would say that my first postpartum poop was worse. Lol. 
  • I think my gallstones hurt more than labor. But maybe it was because I didn't get a beautiful baby out of them either. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've never experienced kidney or gall stones so I can't really compare but I did break the two bones in my forearm. And labor still wins out. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had an epidural but I can say for certain that the post-birth "massage" of my uterus hurt a whole lot more than the 15-16 hours of labor I endured before getting the epidural.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can't speak to the experience of other moms, but my own experience was so heinous that afterwards I felt (and still feel) that I could easily endure torture and be just fine. Nothing has ever been as scary since. I am more likely to react and confront something that is dangerous than to be afraid and run away or hide. I already know the deepest most intense fear and pain, so what could possibly touch me after that?
  • I haven't experienced a pain worse than labor (I went med-free), but I also have never broken anything, had kidney stones, etc. so I basically have nothing else big to compare it to.
  • I had anal fissures shortly after delivering my first baby. Those felt like I was pooping out steak knives. Absolutely horrible. But, still, not as painful as labor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • For me, after my c/s I had some nerve pain that's the worst pain I've ever experienced, it felt like my c/s incision was being ripped open, I was literally screaming in pain (I felt bad for the rest of the girls in L&D that were FTM's wondering how bad it could get).  I will say that with DS1 I had an epidural once I got to about 10 hours of labor, and my twins were born via c/s with a spinal, so I've never experienced a pain-med free birth.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Giving birth has been the most painful thing I've experienced so far in my life.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I haven't had any major health problems, so yes, labor has been the most significant physical difficulty I've had to date.  I definitely agree with the sentiment about it being relatively short in the grand scheme of things, and certainly with a purpose and great reward at the end! One contraction at a time...I can do anything for a minute...that's my mantra in a labor.
  • I can't really answer but my grandmother says that having skin cancer removed from her eyelids and all over her face repeatedly is worse than labor.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I've had a bladder infection and pleuritis which were very very painful but not as bad as labor. But they were right up there with labor. Labor trumps everything though.
  • Pooping for the first time after labor. Just shoot me if I have to go through that again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes.. gall stones and kidney stones both were way worse than any of my labors.

*Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • Gallbladder attack was so much worse and I have had two natural deliveries (9.5 & 8.7 lb babies)
  • I did have an epidural for the last 30 minutes of my labor,but it did not numb half of my body at all, and wasn't completely working on the other side.....

but I still can name several worse pains.

recovery from my csection

being cut open during csection with only half body pain relief

contractions when I was miscarrying

I had  wrist surgery, and my wrist was splinted for 2 weeks.  When I first took off the splint, that was worse.

I had  a stomach virus at 36 weeks pregnant.  I threw up every 15 minutes for about 5 hours, that was worse.

Actually,I complained more about getting my iv placed than giving birth. 

• Nope, it bites the big one.  And alll of those people who say you forget about it when you see the baby... you don't.  Luckily, the epidural helped tremendously.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Ruptured ovarian cyst. 

• Gull stones! 
    ivy zofia born 02/20/09, eden fiona born 11/12/12, baby boy due 12/28/13!! Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I don't know if anyone here has been woken up in the middle of the night with calf cramps, but for me those are just the most agonising kind of pain. I would sign up for labour any day over calf cramps.

Both my labours were med-free, and sure it hurt, but my contractions were much more manageable than those f-ing calf cramps. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Kidney stones! At one point I had 6 that needed to pass and ended up having to have them broken up for them to come out. When I had my kids I slept through most of my laboring with them... the kidney stones I was balled up in a shower and screaming and crying from the pain :(
  • Getting Wisdom teeth out at 32. It took me a month to recover. I got an infection and I was swollen down to my collar bone. With DS I was pretty much normal after a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"