Natural Birth

Book Suggestions?

Anyone have any natural birth book suggestions? I'm new to the idea of a natural birth (see previous post about back issues... and big TY to those of you who responded!).

Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Book Suggestions?

• I liked the Bradley Method book and anything by Ina May Gaskin.
    Pregnancy Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I loved "Your Best Birth".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image    image

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't know where you are planning on giving birth but I just finished Natural Hospital Birth by Cynthia Gabriel. It was great.
    Also ditto to both pp's
    Michael Odent makes you feel like a super hero for being able to conceive.
    The complete guide to pregnancy and birthing by Sheila Kitzinger
    I think I am nesting by consuming information right now.
  • If you change your viewing preferences at the bottom of the page to sort by "Last Post Date" then the first post should be a sticky called "Natural Birth FAQ's". Click on that and you'll find a link to a BUNCH of book recommendations. My personal favorites were Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon and The Big Book of Birth by Erica Lyon. 
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • PLEASE do yourself a favor and read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth...this and my hypnobirthing book called 'hypnobirthing' lead to a pain-free home birth.  I preach them on my soapbox to anyone who will listen lol.  I cannot recommmend them enough.  i've not read the others mentioned. GL!!  you can SO do it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image   

BFP #2 03/01/13 EDD 11/12/13 MC and D&C 04/29/13 @ 12 weeks. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  

mean_girls_35345]       image BabyFetus Ticker

• Ditto Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and my husband and I both really liked The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin.

• I just finished a really good one called "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer. Very informative about different types of care providers, different birth locations, and common interventions and their effects on both mother and baby.
  • I was reading The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer.  I haven't finished it yet.  I think it's a book worth reading, but it is definitely biased against any medical interventions. Not that I have a problem with that, but the book is written in such a way that it gets boring with statistics and a little frightening at the same time. I am having some trouble getting through it, but I plan to finish it and then brush up on some main points afterwards. 

I am currently reading Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon.  It really goes into the step by step process of labor. It's very encouraging and makes me feel calm and not afraid of giving birth. It does discuss the pros/mostly cons of interventions, but not in a way that causes me to freak out about them.  It gives good suggestions for polite ways to remind the staff that you don't want the interventions. There are physical and mental exercises at the ends of the chapters for you to practice relaxation, strengthening, positioning, etc.   

If you have a significant other who plans on coaching you through labor, the ladies here recommended a book called The Birth Partner for my husband to read.  He is actually reading it, which is a good sign (he is NOT a reader), and I have skimmed through it and it seems like a really good book for someone on that side of it. 

Sorry for the long reply!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagefiendelle:
    PLEASE do yourself a favor and read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth...this and my hypnobirthing book called 'hypnobirthing' lead to a pain-free home birth.  I preach them on my soapbox to anyone who will listen lol.  I cannot recommmend them enough.  i've not read the others mentioned. GL!!  you can SO do it.

Pain free home birth?! I'm assuming that means you were all-natural, too? WOW!!!! Please share your secrets!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • lol no secrets- just relaxing your body (jaw, hands, feet- everything) during a time where it's natural to be tense.  and I did not feel anxious- I felt ready (thanks to Ina May)...some people have it way better than I did- huge orgasms etc.  I just tried to relax and focus on letting my body do it's thang...the only part that involved pain was being checked by the midwife, she said there was a tiny lip of cervix left and she pushed it aside- felt like a big pinch!  other than that, I just kept on saying "i am so uncomfortable" lol. water broke at 9pm, baby here at 424 am. :) you can so do it, a million times over. GL! people do it everyday under way worse conditions (as I kept telling myself)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image   

BFP #2 03/01/13 EDD 11/12/13 MC and D&C 04/29/13 @ 12 weeks. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  

mean_girls_35345]       image BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"