Parenting

Who should get snipped: DH or me?

We're one and done. Currently have an IUD (Mirena) that I still have 3 years left on. I'm thinking DH should get snipped in like 2 years, so that way we can make sure his procedure is successful before I get my IUD out. Then, I started looking at tubal ligation and Essure, and am now wondering if I should be the one to get snipped?  Anyone else go through this? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Who should get snipped: DH or me?

• How old are both of you? 
  • Idk- I thought a V is like 4 days off work or somesuch (DH always reads articles about V's in Sports Illustrated- guys get them during March Madness so they can sit home and watch basketball while they hold frozen peas on their crotch). Essure is supposed to be just 1 outpatient quickie appt. and a followup. We're leaning towards Essure.
  • Loading the player...
  • This is a on-going discussion ( more argument) in our home. I say DH

• imagembenit4:
    I feel that if you feel strongly that someone should become sterile then it should be you. Since it is his body then that would be for him to decide. I would want the same consideration.

He's down to get snipped too. I'm thinking in terms of cost, simplicity, recovery, etc.

• imageMrsGoodkat:
    How old are both of you? 

We are 27 and 30. I had such a rough pregnancy, delivery, and recovery that we can't go through that again.

• imageItsAllGravy7:
    imageMrsGoodkat:
    How old are both of you? 
    I feel age is irrelevant to this discussion???

My doctor asked this- he thought I might change my mind since I'm under 35. DH is 40, so less likely to change his mind. E.g. we could get divorced and I decide to have kids with someone else, or vice versa.

• imageMirandaHobbes:

imageItsAllGravy7:
    imageMrsGoodkat:
    How old are both of you? 

My doctor asked this- he thought I might change my mind since I'm under 35. DH is 40, so less likely to change his mind. E.g. we could get divorced and I decide to have kids with someone else, or vice versa.

I know we're going to catch_shit for wanting it so "young", but we know what we want.

• imageItsAllGravy7:
    imageMrsGoodkat:
    How old are both of you? 

Well, it depends. If she's 25 and wanting something permanent done, I would probably suggest waiting. If something happened to her DH and she ended up re-marrying (this is assuming one and done is a choice, not a medical necessity) then I'd probably hold off. If she's 40 and closing in on the end of her child-bearing years then that's different.

• imagembenit4:
    imagemabenner1:

imagembenit4:
    I feel that if you feel strongly that someone should become sterile then it should be you. Since it is his body then that would be for him to decide. I would want the same consideration.

He's down to get snipped too. I'm thinking in terms of cost, simplicity, recovery, etc.

ok, then him. I changed my mind for all the reasons you listed above.

Cool. The only reason I really wouldn't want to get a tubal myself is that my c-section recovery was terrible, and I only know one person IRL that has had their tubes tied outside of a c-section, and her recovery was rough as well.

• imagemabenner1:

imageMrsGoodkat:
    How old are both of you? 

We are 27 and 30. I had such a rough pregnancy, delivery, and recovery that we can't go through that again.

Maybe this is totally out of line, but is that young to be certain you're one and done? Your LO is pretty young too...are you sure you won't change your mind?

I'm 27 so I ask completely non-judgementally and I know everyone is different, but I myself wouldn't feel sure I was one and done yet. I would probably wait a little longer to decide.

• imagepotbellypig:
    imagemabenner1:

imageMrsGoodkat:
    How old are both of you? 

Maybe this is totally out of line, but is that young to be certain you're one and done? Your LO is pretty young too...are you sure you won't change your mind?

I'm 27 so I ask completely non-judgementally and I know everyone is different, but I myself wouldn't feel sure I was one and done yet. I would probably wait a little longer to decide.

We're sure.

• imageItsAllGravy7:

I had mine done at 26 and I have heard ALL of the arguments against it. "What if something happened to your child(ren)? Wouldn't you want another?" "What if something happens to your husband?" The way I see it it doesn't matter how old you are if you don't ever want to be pregnant and don't ever want another child then you should be able to have your tubes tied no questions asked. It's a personal choice and one that has more to do with the individual than the age.

Yes, and obviously you were confident enough in your decision that you didn't need to ask advice from other people. She asked the question, we're just offering our own opinions. At the end of the day she and her husband are making the decision that's best for them.

While I think vasectomies are easier as far as recovery, I would say if it's the women that's absolutely certain she doesn't want to go through a pregnancy again, then she should probably be the one to get her tubes tied. If the man is 110% certain he would never want to father another child, then he should. I mean, y'all know what you want (or don't want) so just go with what works best for you. 

• I can't wait to get my balls snipped, tbh. 

Someone mentioned like 4 days off around March Madness? Brilliant.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsGoodkat:
    imageItsAllGravy7:

I had mine done at 26 and I have heard ALL of the arguments against it. "What if something happened to your child(ren)? Wouldn't you want another?" "What if something happens to your husband?" The way I see it it doesn't matter how old you are if you don't ever want to be pregnant and don't ever want another child then you should be able to have your tubes tied no questions asked. It's a personal choice and one that has more to do with the individual than the age.

Yes, and obviously you were confident enough in your decision that you didn't need to ask advice from other people. She asked the question, we're just offering our own opinions. At the end of the day she and her husband are making the decision that's best for them.

While I think vasectomies are easier as far as recovery, I would say if it's the women that's absolutely certain she doesn't want to go through a pregnancy again, then she should probably be the one to get her tubes tied. If the man is 110% certain he would never want to father another child, then he should. I mean, y'all know what you want (or don't want) so just go with what works best for you. 

We are confident in our decision. We are just trying to go about the "best" way to ensure we don't have any more children. I was just looking for input from people who have gone through any of the 3 procedures, to see what they would recommend.

• How about both, just to be sure? :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • imageItsAllGravy7:

I didn't get the impression from OP that she wasn't sure about her decision I thought it was more the individual procedures she was wondering about...not the decision to have it done or not. Maybe that's just me,

Right. She asked for opinions on tubal vs. vasectomy. 

• imageLuckyDad:

How about both, just to be sure? :)

This isn't a bad suggestion. I know more than one post-vasectomy baby IRL. ;) 

• imageIrishCoffee7:
    I didnt interpret OP's question as asking if she should because she wasn't confident. I read it as a being curious if people had knowlege on which procedure was the easiest/safest/cheapest. @ Gravy ITA that no one should be questioning your right to make a medical decision for yourself regardless of age. I was referring to not finding it inappropriate to present it in a "these are the things people might keep in mind when making this decision". Factual and informational only.

I wasn't saying OP wasn't confident in her decision to be one and done. I was referring to Gravy being confident in her decision to get her tubes tied. Sounded like OP was still on the fence about which way to go.

• imageLuckyDad:

Hmmm....I'll have to think on that. I guess we'd have to stagger them a bit, so we're not both laid up with aching crotches at the same time. Though, that would be a longer stretch with no sex.

• imagemabenner1:

I know we're going to catch_shit for wanting it so "young", but we know what we want.

Lady, this is your body and your life.  We don't use the 120 rule anymore.

• imageHolls2011:
    He will be snipped.  I cannot imagine if circumstances change and we decide later on that we want another, not being able to change our minds.  It would feel too permanent for me. 

ITA with this. DH and I have also decided that after we are done having kids he'll most likely be the one to get snipped. Its quicker, easier, cheaper, and if we should ever change our minds later on a vasectomy is much more reversible than a tubal.

That said,it really is a very personal decision and answers are bound to differ nased on the couple's circumstances.

• imageLuckyDad:

Yeah. This.  I've got one unplanned pregnancy going on right now. 98% for one person isn't good enough. 98% on two people would probably make me feel pretty safe.  If I end up with another c/s I'll get my tubes tied. If not I am considering Essure and DH has already decided he is getting a vasectomy.   

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I got a tubal in November. No big deal. I stay at home, so no work missed, cost isn't an issue, (Canadian) maybe vasectomy is "easier" but I wanted to do it, I wanted to be in control of the situation. 
            image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • It wasn't that long ago that you could be refused a tubal unless you were over 40,and had at least two children, one boy one girl. I think there was another stipulation, but I can't remember. 
            image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • I think in general a vasectomy should be performed over a tubal because of its simplicity and reversibility. However, I do agree that nobody should be pressured into forced sterilization.
  • DH will be the one to do it. That is our house. If both  of you are ok with it then maybe you could compare costs, recovery time, or just rock paper scissor the choice. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• DH had it done.

He wined for 2 hours afterwards and then we got in the car and spent the weekend with his parents. Back to work on Monday. 

• My H is having it done.  I have no explanation for it, because I do NOT want more children, but I have a strange hesitation.  He doesn't care, so it's gonna be him. 

C is 3 years old

• I'm probably going to end up getting my tubes tied and my DH can do whatever he wants with his stuff.  He's not being proactive about getting himself snipped, and I'm 100% done having kids after this one, so I'm going to take matters into my own hands.  At the end of the day, I'm the only one responsible for my reproductive health and I refuse to beg and plead my DH into a procedure he doesn't really want (for whatever reason).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I say Essure. My sister had it done and said it was a simple office procedure. Even though we are one and done, I'm not ready to have such a permanent solution. When I am ready, this is the route I plan on going.
    =BFP#1 11/2009, It's a boy! 3/2010, Our Angel Ian born sleeping 7/3/2010 (cord accident 37w5d); BFP#2 1/2011, mmc confirmed 2/24/2011, incomplete natural mc so had D&C 3/11/2011; BFP#3 6/19/2011, natural mc 6/21/2011; BFP#4 7/15/2011, no hb at 7w5d, D&C 9/7/2011; BFP#5 2/6/2012, baby boy born on 9/27/2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers imageimageimage
  • My insurance won't even cover a tubal until 21. I found this interesting.

Also, DH and I are still unsure about what we want to do yet. We want 1 more child in 5 years. I'll be 27-28 then. I more than likely will get a tubal. They kept badgering me about it while I got my C/S with Cade. Which is weird cuz I'm 22. My Mom's old doc refused to do a tubal on her when she was in her late 30's early 40's. She was shocked to find out I had been offered it a few times now.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMrsGoodkat:

imageItsAllGravy7:
    imageMrsGoodkat:
    How old are both of you? 

Well, it depends. If she's 25 and wanting something permanent done, I would probably suggest waiting. If something happened to her DH and she ended up re-marrying (this is assuming one and done is a choice, not a medical necessity) then I'd probably hold off. If she's 40 and closing in on the end of her child-bearing years then that's different.

What if nothing happened to her DH and she ended up getting one or more unwanted pregnancies.....

My DH had a vasectomy at around 33-34 during his first marriage after 2 kids. He was done. Little did he know he would be divorced a few years later and meet someone 11 years younger with no kids.....he had a failed vas reversal and we did IVF. I knew going into the relationship that there was a possibility we would never have kids together but then again there is never a guarantee anyway. I admit I am glad we were able to have a child together but I married him knowing it may not happen and was Ok with that. 

You can't possibly plan for all the what-ifs that might happen in your life time.  Then no one should get fixed.  27 is young but not that young. Here (I assume that is most places) they will not do a tubal ligation on anyone under 21. Anyone over that age they will do a tubal. I am sure there is counseling involved but ultimately it is no body's business other than the person desiring the tubal. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLuckyDad:

I'm sooooooo late to the game. I vote this option. Then DH might not have needed two vasectomies. ::points to #5 in siggy::
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"