1st Trimester

Blighted Ovum or Due Date Off?

Hi everyone. This is my first pregnancy. I haven't posted much, mainly because I was trying to stay away from reading things that would make me worry. However staying away hasn't helped because after a dr. visit yesterday I'm more worried than ever. 

I went for a MFM consult yesterday since I'm considered high risk at 36. The consult went well until the Dr. decided to do my first ultrasound. She did a transvaginal. I was suppose to be 7 weeks 1 day as of yesterday. She could only find the yolk sac but no fetal pole. She said my ultrasound was only showing about 5 weeks. She said one of two things was happening. I either ovulated late in my cycle and i'm only 5 weeks or I have a blighted ovum. She sent me for blood work to check my HCG levels and then I have to get them checked again tomorrow afternoon. She said if they show they are doubling that we can wait a week or 2 and do another ultrasound, if they are leveling off or declining then its a blighted ovum.

I'm still in a little shock and i'm very nervous and scared. I don't want to give up on this pregnancy, not yet but i don't know what to do or think. I went back and checked my charts (DH and I have been TTC for 1 1/2 years) and I do ovulate later then the average 14 days. I usually O between day 17 and day 21. So when I checked my chart from last month DH and I did sex on cycle day 17 and 21. When I count from those days I would be only about 5 weeks. So is this possible that they were that far off on my due date and I have hope? When I check my chart based on the original due date and the time I would have conceived DH and i did not sex. 

I guess what i'm looking for is just your opinion if its possible that they could be 2 weeks off on my due date and i'm just earlier then I thought and there is still hope. The waiting and trying not to think about it is killing me. 

thanks ladies for listening. 

Re: Blighted Ovum or Due Date Off?

• I am going through the EXACT same thing!!!!!!

I went last week for first OB appt and ultrasound.  I was 7 weeks according to my LMP - but the sac and fetus measured 5 weeks (they didn't tell me any days).  I was so confused!  This is my 4th baby, and I have never had this happen.  I don't chart, but it is possible that I Od later than I though.  I go back today for a second ultrasound.  I am so nervous!  You are not alone -- hang in there and hopefully they blood results will show good news!!!!!

Angie 

• Thanks Angie! Good Luck today! I'll be keeping you in my prayers!
  • Loading the player...
  • Either is possible, but it sounds to me like you probably ovulated late. You are lucky that you charted, so you have a better idea than most about when you actually conceived. Good luck, and remember that there is nothing you can do either way, so try to be positive. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was a week off when I went in last week. Thought I was 9 and was only measuring 8. I've also read that many panther women have been off on their dates. Hope it is your situation too and that you get some good news today or tomorrow.
  • Do you mean it's been 5 weeks from when you O'de at cd17-21?? Or has it been 3 weeks + the 2 weeks pre O that needs to be counted when Dr.'s talk about gestational age? The two weeks before you O are included when you say how far along you are.  The easier question to ask is, when did you get your BFP. At the most conservative (because some women get BFP's at 7dpo - which is rare, but does happen), add 3 weeks to that. So if you got your BFP 2 weeks ago, then it's very possible you're 5 weeks pg. But if you got your BFP 4 weeks ago,  then you really are 7 weeks. Does that make sense?

At the same time, the only way to really tell is to either watch the HCG levels to see if they are going up or down, and/or a follow-up ultrasound in 1-2 weeks. I'm sorry, Limbo really sucks.

Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
  • I had a Blighted Ovum pregnancy a few months ago. I know its scary but I say wait and see. Don't worry yourself sick over it in case everything is fine. You will be upset you missed out on this time to enjoy your early pregnancy weeks. I hope everything works out for you. That diagnosis was difficult for me to deal with but it shows that we can get pregnant.Thats a super plus. I am 6 weeks with my second pregnancy and trying to stay positive every day. Its frustrating to wait, it stinks.

• update on my appt -- the sac measured 5w5d last week and measured 6w4d today.  Dr said he still doesnt' see anything in the sac, but that is not uncommon.  He ordered bloodwork to check levels today and then on Friday morning.  At this time there is no reason to be concerned.  I go for another US next Thursday.  

Hang in there -- I still don't feel 100% positive about this pregnancy, but there is nothing I can do.  Just gonna wait for blood results on Friday!

• Angie that's great news! Thanks for the update. I hope things continue to improve for you and your little one to be. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"