Single Parents

Sorry, need to vent (somewhat SP-related)

So I started back at school last week.  I have a one year old and an almost three year old, and last week and last night my parents watched them.  My parents have been harassing me about going back to school for months and finally, I felt able to and now they are constantly complaining about watching the kids even though they said they would.  My mother keeps telling me I HAVE to train my son to go to sleep by himself (If you lay down with him or rock him for a few minutes, he usually drifts off quickly).  Well, last night I came home from school and both parents were upset.  I was all kinds of excited and happy (in spite of a parking ticket I had received).  They made me feel like crap for being excited about going to school.  I made the joke "Is it bad that I'm looking forward to school because I get a break from the kids?"  And my mom snapped at me over it.  I am really frustrated with them because they are making it seem like it's a bad thing that I am back in school because it inconveniences them.

Also, financial aid isn't helping me at all; and I can't afford my books because any extra money I might have goes to the kids because my dead-beat XH refuses to pay CS to help out with the kids.  I think the only good side is he hasn't made any real effort to contact the kids either. 

Re: Sorry, need to vent (somewhat SP-related)

• Sounds like my mom and stepdad! Except I've learned better than to rely on them most of the time. When I got divorced and was pregnant my mom wanted me to move closer so she could help and in the same breath she was telling me I had better find a good day care because she wasn't going to watch my kids. Now she laments, "I would be able to help you more if only you had moved closer!" Yes, because 15 min away is insurmountable in SoCal.

Anyway, good luck! Congrats on going back to school! Hopefully your parents just had a bad night with the kids and things get better for you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks!  What part of So Cal are you in?  I'm in East LA County.  Yeah, I moved in with my parents when I left my husband.  Since then they have alternated between telling me what a great mother I am and getting on my case because I'm not doing something they think I need to be doing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Well it must make it somewhat easier to have them available at all hours though, right? But living with my parents would drive me nuts! You're probably not far from me since I live in the IE and work in LA.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetifanico:

I think this is normal when you live with your parents. 

If you think it will make it easier on your parents, try to sleep train the LO and she if he goes down easily. Remember that is one thing that he falls asleep quickly with you but it can be a different story with them.

I remember at your LO age, I had to rock DD to sleep but she would me a monster if anyone tried to put her down to bed. Once she was sleep trained, it was easier on everyone.  

When he was really little I made sure he could more or less go to sleep on his own, sleep in his own space and take a bottle so my parents would watch the kids and they still complained about it.  I eventually just gave up and started asking a really close friend to watch them. 

• @Tracy41-  Sending you a PM with the city I live in!  Maybe if you're close enough we can do a playdate or something!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"