Babies: 3 - 6 Months

How do you put LO down for naps?

Not the routine but what exactly what do you do to get them ready for sleep/drowsy/actually asleep. Do you nurse to sleep? Rock them til drowsy then lay down? Rock til fully asleep? Something else? 

DS2 has always been a sleep fighter. He has been an extremely fussy/hard baby in general. With DS1 I never wanted to create "bad" sleep associations so I never did any of those things. With this one, I had to do whatever worked because almost nothing worked. Sometimes I have nursed to sleep and most recently rocking. Rocking worked for a little while but he has been fighting that more and more.

I watch his sleep cues to make sure I'm not putting him down too early or too late. I don't mind rocking or whatever but I would just like to start putting him down without such a fight. He seems to have a hard time transitioning from awake and playing to now it's time to sleep even though he's tired. 

So what do you do? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do you put LO down for naps?

• I'm not one to give advice! Currently DD is napping on me after walking her around the kitchen for 20 minutes with oven fan on.  Tried putting her down to nap and she was up 5 minutes later so the routine started over.  My DH wonders why nothing gets done around here ....good luck to us both! 

• Sometimes he falls asleep in his own after eating so I just swaddle and put him down. Other times he is drowsy so I rock til asleep. And other times he is crying nd thrashing and overtired so I just fight him into a swaddle and rock him and basically he just cries til he exhausts and passes out in my arms and thn I put him down. I don't keep him up more than two hours at a time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ours also was a huge fighter.  We started putting him down when he was tired, then patting him or doing the butt jiggle as we call it (he sleeps on his tummy, so we just kind of vibrate his tush.  Works for a chest jiggle, too) while shhhing.  Over the span of a couple weeks, we weaned from the shhhh and jiggle to just a pacifier, then off the paci.  Admittedly he did cry at first, so if he went for more than three minutes, we'd go in to shh/pat/jiggle -- just until he quieted -- then leave the room.  It gave him time to burn off excess energy and he also learned to put himself to sleep rather than relying on us.

In terms of routine, we watch for his cues, then take him to his room, change his diaper, close the blinds, turn on his white noise, lay him down, then leave.

• I make sure to feed my DD first, as she goes to sleep on a full stomach.  A friend of mine recommended the book, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" to use as a sleep training guide, and it has really helped out so much.  I put my daughter down when she's awake but tired.  I watch for cues from her, such as rubbing her eyes and not wanting to play anymore.  She loves her white noise machine, which helps lull her to sleep.  Even though she's over six months old, she still loves to be swaddled. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Today is always fresh, with no mistakes in it--Anne Shirley, Anne of Green Gables
  • He either falls asleep in RnP while having a bottle, or I rock him for a few minutes until he's out and then lay him in the crib. 
  • imageStarfish+77:

I'm not one to give advice! Currently DD is napping on me after walking her around the kitchen for 20 minutes with oven fan on.  Tried putting her down to nap and she was up 5 minutes later so the routine started over.  My DH wonders why nothing gets done around here ....good luck to us both! 

So we aren't the only ones who do this?? Smile We need some help too! Bedtime for us is like nap time times 100... Ugh.

• imageatrinh11:
    imageStarfish+77:

I'm not one to give advice! Currently DD is napping on me after walking her around the kitchen for 20 minutes with oven fan on.  Tried putting her down to nap and she was up 5 minutes later so the routine started over.  My DH wonders why nothing gets done around here ....good luck to us both! 

So we aren't the only ones who do this?? Smile We need some help too! Bedtime for us is like nap time times 100... Ugh.

naps are worse...bedtime she sleeps pretty good in Rock n Play.  I cringe thinking of the day she outgrows it.  I may keep her in it until she's 10! Won't do naps in it though..go figure! 

• imageStarfish+77:
    imageatrinh11:
    imageStarfish+77:

naps are worse...bedtime she sleeps pretty good in Rock n Play.  I cringe thinking of the day she outgrows it.  I may keep her in it until she's 10! Won't do naps in it though..go figure! 

Ah yes... My LO loves his RnP too! For bedtime and naps (when he lets us put him down at all). We have been trying to get him in his crib for months. He did great for a few weeks, but now seems to be on a crib strike, so he is back in the RnP. Of course after we walk him around the house for a good chunk of time first!

• imageatrinh11:
    imageStarfish+77:
    imageatrinh11:
    imageStarfish+77:

Ah yes... My LO loves his RnP too! For bedtime and naps (when he lets us put him down at all). We have been trying to get him in his crib for months. He did great for a few weeks, but now seems to be on a crib strike, so he is back in the RnP. Of course after we walk him around the house for a good chunk of time first!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a sleep fighter! DD also demands to be walked around the house after eating since she kicks me if I sit still.  Getting her to sleep also involves many laps up and down the stairs.  She seriously cannot be kept still! Only pro is I'm down 10 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight lol! 

• When he's full and sleepy, but won't settle down I often take him for a walk or drive. The fresh air almost always calms him down and he's asleep within 15 minutes. If I put him in the car he'll be asleep by the time we've gone 5 miles to the grocery store.

But if I don't want to leave the house, then I just let him fuss in his crib until he falls asleep. I sometimes will pick him up and hold a paci in his mouth, but I'm trying to stop that if we can.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't know why but the cloth diapers which I use as burp cloths work wonders. When dd is tired and cranky I lay her down and put the cloth next to her cheek. She holds it and rubs I it on her face for about a minute and then she's knocked out. Of course I take it away as soon as she falls asleep. It's insane how quickly that works. My sister jokes that I must put chloroform on the cloth because of how well that works.
  • Once I see a yawn, I would bounce her on the yoga ball.  She might scream/fight a little, but usually goes down in 15 mins or so.  Then I put her in the car seat bc she doesn't nap as well in her crib.  Though I would perfer her to be in her crib for naps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Most the time she falls asleep while playing. If she starts acting tired I can usaully put her in her crib and she'll fall asleep.  If not she gets overtired and cries with her binky while I rock her til she passes out.
  • DS 6mon was and is a sleep fighter. What we have learned to do is pay attention to his sleep cues and timing.

Between 8 weeks and 4 months I timed it. Like clockwork, we would eat, play and within 90 minutes of the time he woke up he was ready. His sleep cues generally involved him whining and making a grunting noise. By then I started our routine for nap: short walk to his bedroom, shushing, patting his back and then lying him down. If on his tummy, he would need help. So I would pat his back and gently rub his back. His pacificer was essential as well as his sound machine.

Now, I am able to do our short nap routine and just lie him in bed on his back his sleep preference, give him his favorite blanket, and turn on sound machine. I whisper "I love you" and reassure him ill be here when he wakes. He falls asleep within 5 minutes.

So, pay attention to visual or auditory cues: eye rubbing, yawning, disengaging, or fussiness. If your baby is like mine and didnt show a lot cues early on, time yourself. From the moment baby wakes, they should be back asleep within 2 hours. Older babies may have a little longer attention span but most still abide by the 23 hour rule once over 6 months.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"