April 2013 Moms

Mouse Problem??

I went out to my car yesterday, found a starbucks bag from the day before that something had eaten a hole through and made a nest of the scraps on the floor. Opened the back door, and found a hole in the backseat, it took some of the stuffing out and tore a hole in the interior. 

OH Hell no. I called DH and told him there was an animal in my car, a hungry animal, and he needed to come take me to work. DH thinks it's a mouse problem. He went and had the car professionally detailed, they vacuumed/cleaned every nook and cranny, no crumbs, no paper, no tissues, ect ($70 later...). They didn't find any mice. 

We put some peanut butter traps overnight, it took the peanut butter but didn't catch the sucker. I told DH to inspect the glove compartment and the sucker made a nest of our vehicle registration/inspection/insurance/warranty papers.

I'm still not getting in that car. I've been googling some ways to get rid of the rodent(s) but read they can get into the doors, the dashboard, the engine, and eat through hoses and pumps. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've never dealt with a mouse/mice problem in my house or car before.... I have no idea where they came from.

TTC our Navy Baby since 03/2010.
1st BFP 10/2010.
Twins discovered @ 6wks.
Natural Miscarriage @ 11 wks, 01/2011.
2nd BFP 05/2011.
D & E Due to PPROM, 8/2011
3rd BFP 8/2012
Preventative Cerclage @ 14 weeks
???EDD APRIL 7, 2013 ???
It's A GIRL!! TEAM PINK!!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Mouse Problem??

• I have NEVER heard of a mouse problem in a car, but we have had them in the house. The peanut butter on the trap thing seems to work, maybe poison?? I have no idea, But good luck, what a weird thing to have. humm interesting
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am NOT meaning to freak you out any more than you already are, but it does sound like a rodent problem. it may not be a mouse but it may be a rat. rats are able to eat off of a mouse trap and since the rat is so big and the trap is so little it is unable to catch the rat hence why the PB was gone and nothing was actually caught. you may need to try a bigger trap.GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejessidoreen:

I went out to my car yesterday, found a starbucks bag from the day before that something had eaten a hole through and made a nest of the scraps on the floor. Opened the back door, and found a hole in the backseat, it took some of the stuffing out and tore a hole in the interior. 

OH Hell no. I called DH and told him there was an animal in my car, a hungry animal, and he needed to come take me to work. DH thinks it's a mouse problem. He went and had the car professionally detailed, they vacuumed/cleaned every nook and cranny, no crumbs, no paper, no tissues, ect ($70 later...). They didn't find any mice. 

We put some peanut butter traps overnight, it took the peanut butter but didn't catch the sucker. I told DH to inspect the glove compartment and the sucker made a nest of our vehicle registration/inspection/insurance/warranty papers.

I'm still not getting in that car. I've been googling some ways to get rid of the rodent(s) but read they can get into the doors, the dashboard, the engine, and eat through hoses and pumps. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've never dealt with a mouse/mice problem in my house or car before.... I have no idea where they came from.

new car

/gavel

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • We live in a semi rural area and have mouse problems all the time. We've had a nest in the airfilter of our Jeep and in our riding lawn mower, that one made me sad because it had babies in it when we found it. My favorite mouse story is from earlier this winter. MH was going to plow the driveway with his fourwheeler and it made an aweful noise and died. He took it somewhere to get it fixed and it turns out it had about 20 lbs of dogfood in it! A mouse had gotten into the garage where we keep the dogfood and the fourwheeler and made a little stash, lol.

Anyway, I don't really have any advice. But we've had the same problem lately with mice getting the PB off the traps. You might want to try a different trap. We didn't used to have that problem, so MH just ordered some new traps that will hopefully work better.

• What kind of trap are you using?

we had a mice problem last year and had good luck with the enclosed traps that trap the mice but don't kill them. And we always lured them in with peanut butter.

mice suck and I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Typically where there is one there is many and when dealing with a car you need to make sure they don't get under the hood, which will lead to much bigger issue. Ugh. Good luck. 

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• Maybe consult an exterminator.  Of course I am not a trooper so I would be figuring out the solution while driving around in my rental car because the possibility of a mouse or rat hiding in my car would freak me out!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageJBDamonM:

What kind of trap are you using?

we had a mice problem last year and had good luck with the enclosed traps that trap the mice but don't kill them. And we always lured them in with peanut butter.

mice suck and I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Typically where there is one there is many and when dealing with a car you need to make sure they don't get under the hood, which will lead to much bigger issue. Ugh. Good luck. 

Where do you find enclosed traps?
    1st BFP 10/2010.
    Twins discovered @ 6wks.
    2nd BFP 05/2011.
    3rd BFP 8/2012
    ???EDD APRIL 7, 2013 ???
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageannjeanen:
    Maybe consult an exterminator.  Of course I am not a trooper so I would be figuring out the solution while driving around in my rental car because the possibility of a mouse or rat hiding in my car would freak me out!

DH is being my chauffer the rest of the week :) I told him I'm gladly take his car but he doesn't seem to keen on driving with hungry rodents.
    1st BFP 10/2010.
    Twins discovered @ 6wks.
    2nd BFP 05/2011.
    3rd BFP 8/2012
    ???EDD APRIL 7, 2013 ???
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemypalbabs:
    imagejessidoreen:

new car

/gavel

Can't say I didn't think about it. Especially since she has a fresh detailed job. Ahh, craigslist.....
    1st BFP 10/2010.
    Twins discovered @ 6wks.
    2nd BFP 05/2011.
    3rd BFP 8/2012
    ???EDD APRIL 7, 2013 ???
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You can probably find live (enclosed) traps at the hardware store.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Warfarin. Might want to inspect carefully every day for corpses though. 
  • BTW, I wouldn't use poison. You might end up with a dead mouse in the vents or somewhere else hard to reach.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We occasionally get rodents (mice and rats) in our house in Baltimore.  It's a very common problem here and absolutely disgusting. It is imperative that you kill all of them immediately.  Rats can reproduce only 2 weeks after being born!  So, a rat problem can become a big rat problem really fast. 

We have a cat, but I wouldn't put her in the car :)  We also use electric traps.  The rodent has to go all the way in to get to the bait (peanut butter works best) and on the way they get electrocuted.  It is the only way we've been able to kill them.  They took the bait off any snap traps we got, plus we were getting injured setting them, the cat would run into them, and rodent usually got the bait no matter how we set it.  Go electric.  It smells disgusting, but it works like magic.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageJBDamonM:

What kind of trap are you using?

This, we put this kind of trap in our garage.  It traps them without making a mess, or you can put PB on a block of poison in there. 

• imageskoogirl:

We have a cat, but I wouldn't put her in the car :)  We also use electric traps.  The rodent has to go all the way in to get to the bait (peanut butter works best) and on the way they get electrocuted.  It is the only way we've been able to kill them.  They took the bait off any snap traps we got, plus we were getting injured setting them, the cat would run into them, and rodent usually got the bait no matter how we set it.  Go electric.  It smells disgusting, but it works like magic.

Second vote for electric traps, they work the best.

We had a mouse problem in the fall and tried all kinds of traps, glue traps they escaped from, snap traps they ate the peanut butter and never set off the trap.  One night I even caught one sitting in my dog's food bowl stuffing his face, dh got him and dumped him in the dumpster across the street bowl and all.

But the electric traps were amazing, within a few days we had them all, 5 total.  We got it at the hardware store and it was about 25.00

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would suggest Decon. It is only a few dollars at walmart and the rodents leave to die, it makes them thirsty and they leave for water.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"