March 2013 Moms

when will they check for size?

I am 37 weeks tomorrow and I have no indication of how small or big our LO is going to be.

When will they check and how? Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks!! 

Re: when will they check for size?

• usually they will check whenever you have an ultrasound they will measure the baby's different body parts and come up with an estimated size, but as you know we are usually limited in u/s through out. So they measure your fundamental growth.When they take the measuring tape and measure your belly from your pubic bone to the top of your belly. the amount of cm shoud match how many months you are. This showa they baby is growing on schedule. If your recieving theses your Doc may not betelling you the measurment because he isnt concerned, if you aren't recieving these ask how hes checking growth.
  • sorry for all the spelling errors... jeez! Tongue Tied

stupid work comuter...

• Loading the player...
  • Most likely only if there's a discrepancy between your due date and how big your belly is measuring. I had growth scans and turns out my LO was bigger than they thought! So they're not always accurate either.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My doctor did a growth ultrasound 2 days before I was 38 weeks. The tech measured bone length and circumference of head and abdomen.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • same here. I only had additional u/s to check growth because of a discrepancy.
  • unless your fundal height is measuring big/small, they usually will not give you a growth u/s.
  • Just wanted to add, experienced doctors can often "estimate" size (larger than average, smaller than average, etc, not necessarily give you a weight estimate) just by feeling your belly. My last two appointments, my doctor has felt my stomach and commented about how big LO is. We've known he was larger since about 25 weeks and I have received ultrasounds confirming this. Doctor has commented "well, you've got a big one, but he's not abnormally large" just from pressing on my stomach when he's checking LO's position. So, even if you don't get a growth ultrasound, you can always ask your doctor what he thinks of LOs size.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm not Having a growth ultrasound.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageSarahRae85:
    Just wanted to add, experienced doctors can often "estimate" size (larger than average, smaller than average, etc, not necessarily give you a weight estimate) just by feeling your belly. My last two appointments, my doctor has felt my stomach and commented about how big LO is. We've known he was larger since about 25 weeks and I have received ultrasounds confirming this. Doctor has commented "well, you've got a big one, but he's not abnormally large" just from pressing on my stomach when he's checking LO's position. So, even if you don't get a growth ultrasound, you can always ask your doctor what he thinks of LOs size.

This! My doctor did this yesterday during my internal exam. We were actually all thinking that he was going to be huge because my DH was over 10lbs when he was born. My doc felt my stomach and said "Oh, well it seems that he is about 6 lbs right now". I was so relieved! haha I mean he can be off a lb or so but it made me feel better that LO wasn't 8 lbs right now haha

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I had a growth ultrasound at 36 weeks where they checked for size.  She was in the 54th percentile at that point. 
  • This is my third baby but this pregnancy is the first I've ever had a growth ultrasound and it is only because I have GD this time. Usually you just wait and see when baby comes!
  • I am going Mon when I will be 39 weeks.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Unless you need an ultra sound my doctors office does not check for size.  :(  I was disapointed with my first, and figured I would not know for this one either.  Which was odd to me because it always seemed like friends were told how big their baby was gonna be. There is no real way to tell unless they do an ultrasound so I think my office just does not like to give out info that may not be accurate.  

I told my doc I was paranoid that because my stomach is so big (I feel huge) that I am going to have a 10 pound baby.  (a friend just did and her newborn seemed HUGE).  He said I would not have a 5 pound baby but he was pretty certain my baby would not be 9/10 pounds.  We shall see.  My first was 7.9 at 39 weeks.  I am figuring a pound heavier but hoping for less. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"