Military Families

I may be joining you soon...

My husband is thinking about enlisting. We just had our first son a month ago and he's been thinking about it since right before he was born. He's never really had a good job and didn't get to go to school because he couldn't afford it. This is his way of trying to support the family (I've been full time since I was 16 and he doesn't want me being the only one making the bucks since he's part time.

Any advice? Things I should expect? I did some research but don't really feel all that prepared. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I may be joining you soon...

• What service is he thinking about joining? That will help people to give you more advice.
  • Talk to every branch. Don't go based off of who has the coolest commercial. He may think he knows what branch he wants to join but another branch may be a better fit.  Also, I suggest he starts thinking about what he wants to do after he gets out. Find a job in the military that may offer him schooling and experience in that field. IE: I'm Military Police and work(ed) in law enforcement as a civilian. Once he has a job picked out it may be easier to narrow down the branches some may not have certain jobs. Keep in mind if he sets his mind on one job and one job only, there could be a wait depending on the needs of that branch, it will be good to have a back up or two.

CJ 05/29/2013

• Loading the player...
  • My husband started talking to a recruiter when our son was 6 months old. We talked to every branch and for us the army was our pick. We researched and researched every job available through the army. We had to wait 6 months for him to go to basic training. My husband was like yours didn't have any good job and he didn't want me working with our son so joining for us has been a life changer. We struggled before but now we are doing a lot better. If your husband is serious about this do like other posters have said check out every branch and make the right choice for you guys. Military life isn't exactly easy but well worth it for us. I have made so many amazing friends and they have been a wonderful support system since we are all stationed a whole other country away from our families. To me the hardest part so far my husband has only been in a little over a yet has been the first few weeks he went to basic. But even that gets better. You guys really need to talk about this and make sure it's going to be a fit for the both of you bc it affects everyone. Ive never been more than a state away from my mom and now I'm in Germany and she's in the states so there are big changes and ones you don't necessarily have control of. But like I said I wouldn't change it for the world. My husband is military police and he is doing something he is proud of. He finally feels good about what he's doing and being able to better provide for his family. I myself couldn't be any prouder of him. Sorry this has gotten so long. But I wish I had someone to tell me about their personal experience when we were looking into it. Good luck and hopefully welcome to the next stage in your life
  • He's thinking about joining the Air Force. Thank you for all the advice you guys. It's something that we're bittersweet about. He really wants to do this for himself and his family, but we realize it's a sacrifice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagenichhollle:
    He's thinking about joining the Air Force. Thank you for all the advice you guys. It's something that we're bittersweet about. He really wants to do this for himself and his family, but we realize it's a sacrifice.

we just did this, my husband is currently in basic, let me know if you have any questions.

• imagenichhollle:
    He's thinking about joining the Air Force. Thank you for all the advice you guys. It's something that we're bittersweet about. He really wants to do this for himself and his family, but we realize it's a sacrifice.

You will be fine! They mostly get phone calls every Sunday and the bases are really nice! I would suggest he tries to wait for a job that he will be able to do after he gets out and to at least go talk to a recruiter soon. Depending on where you are, there might be a longer wait to enlist. (My SIL's husband just left for basic). I'm a Marine wife and there are a lot of differences between the branches (as well as all the others) but I wouldn't change it for the world. There are sacrifices and it is very trying and difficult at times but I LOVE it. It has provided us with much more stability and the fact that I was able to get established in my career before he enlisted helped out so much. It isn't for everyone but I would definitely talk to as many people as you can. You'll have to be okay with spending nights alone, and having him miss a lot of "firsts" with your baby and most of all PATIENCE!! good luck with whatever you guys decided!! 

Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"