Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Frustrated with daycare

My nearly 3 month old DS has been going to daycare since he was 6 weeks. According to his provider most days he cries starting 20 minutes after each bottle (he gets breastmilk) and once able to calm him down is generally fussy most of the day. She is CONVINCED that he has reflux. I'm frustrated because I do not see the same behavior that she does. At home we follow a fairly structured schedule in that I never let him be awake for more than an hour and half before I swaddle him and help him fall asleep. He will usually take anywhere from one hour to two hour naps for me before waking, eating, playing and napping again. Again according to her he will not nap unless he is in a swing or on his belly (and then when he falls asleep she needs to flip him over and he wakes up.) I don't have any experience with reflux but I feel that if that was his problem it would be plaguing him constantly not just on the days he is with her. 

I suggested that maybe she keep a log of her daily routine with him to help determine what might be happening which she didn't seem too keen to do. At this point it seems like she feels that he needs some medical intervention and that I'm not willing to consider anything is wrong with him.

One more thing, in the last week he has gone from taking 5 oz every 3 hours while there to 2 1/2 oz every 2. Personally I think the poor thing is over tired and a bit needier than she is used to. She took care of DS1 till he was 15 months old and he was a BREEZE!  

Just looking for any thoughts or suggestions I guess as to what you might do to deal with this ... thanks !  

ETA: He is almost always exclusively nursed at home - expect for tonight when he took a 4oz bottle and has now been sleeping for 3 hours no problem. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Frustrated with daycare

• Options

I am not a huge reflux expert, but I do know things like colic happen at the same time every day. DD1 was colicky, and it was only in the evenings. Every evening.

I would have her for a few days write down a detailed log maybe and find the differences between his days with you and his days with her, maybe you'll find the problem that way and get it resolved. Honestly though, no one knows there baby better than momma, so it may just be she is trying to figure him out and get adjusted, especially if he is a needier child than what she may be used to?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Options
    I don't buy the reflux "diagnosis." I will back her up in that your LO's routine and habits at day care will likely be completely different than they are at home. That has been true for DS from the start (he started day care at 10 weeks). He eats differently, naps differently, everything. To me, if he's still crying after a bottle, he may not be full. I would have her try to feed him more, or more frequently, and see if that helps. Good luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageClaryPax:
    If you have a well check coming up you can ask the pedi, but I wouldn't schedule a separate appointment for it. LO may have swallowed more air with the bottle than the breast do suggest she keep trying to burp. I might also suggest she rock LO to sleep. Many babies need that and don't just fall asleep on their own.

all of this. My DS has reflux, what you describe doesn't sound like reflux to me.  The log sounds like a very good idea.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemocasio3357:

imageClaryPax:
    If you have a well check coming up you can ask the pedi, but I wouldn't schedule a separate appointment for it. LO may have swallowed more air with the bottle than the breast do suggest she keep trying to burp. I might also suggest she rock LO to sleep. Many babies need that and don't just fall asleep on their own.

all of this. My DS has reflux, what you describe doesn't sound like reflux to me.  The log sounds like a very good idea.  

Yup, I bet it's gas from the bottle. My hubby says whenever he feeds her, DD has huge burps. She fusses until she gets it out.
  • Options

imagemabenner1:
    I don't buy the reflux "diagnosis." I will back her up in that your LO's routine and habits at day care will likely be completely different than they are at home. That has been true for DS from the start (he started day care at 10 weeks). He eats differently, naps differently, everything. To me, if he's still crying after a bottle, he may not be full. I would have her try to feed him more, or more frequently, and see if that helps. Good luck.

this 

• Options
    imagemocasio3357:

imageClaryPax:

This is exactly what I think. I brought her a log today and wrote down my schedule and she had a MUCH better day. He napped, drank whole bottles and didn't cry for long periods of time. HURRAY. She admitted that maybe she keeps him up too long and didn't realize it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"