TTC After a Loss

Temping

I was thinking about starting to temp and I was wondering if you ladies could give me a little insight. A lot of the sites I've looked at said to buy a special thermometer for it and was curious about what brands you think are the best. Also what um, area, has given you the most consistent results. The idea of sicking something in some of the places suggested is a little awkward for me to think about doing. Lastly when should I start temping? Should I wait for AF or after start AF? 

TIA 

Re: Temping

• I bought my bbt from cvs and have been very happy with it.  It does not have a back light and it does not save your last temp so you do need to turn the light on to see what the temp is (in case you plan on going back to sleep afterwards).

I just temp orally and have not had a problem with getting a consistent temp shift.  Make sure you temp at a consistent time everyday, prior to moving/getting up, and after at least 3 hours solid sleep.  

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks ladies, my hubby isn't too keen on the idea of me temping yet, he thinks it will put much stress on me and his attitude is that it'll happen when it happens. He may be right but I just want to be prepared and informed when I do start. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebethLenell:
    Thanks ladies, my hubby isn't too keen on the idea of me temping yet, he thinks it will put much stress on me and his attitude is that it'll happen when it happens. He may be right but I just want to be prepared and informed when I do start. :)

Temping is a great way to learn about what is going on with your body and your cycle.  It will let you see around what point in your cycle that you O normally, how long your luteal phase is, and confirm that you actually are Oing. It also lets you know when you should expect AF - which I find less stressful then being in the dark.

You can temp and do NTNP.  Don't use OPKs and don't stress about when your fertile week is.  Make sure you are on the same page as your husband and hopefully you can get him on board with the idea of you temping just for the knowledge portion of it.   

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I bought a no-name brand at my local pharmacy. It was roughly 20$.
  • I've had a couple of different basal thermometers, and they've all been fine.  Oral vs. vaginal temping depends on whether or not you're a mouth breather at night. ( Vag temps will be slightly higher.)  I would recommend reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility if you haven't-- it's the temping bible. (fertilityfriend.com is also really helpful)  Typically you would start on the first day of your period, as that's day 1 of your cycle, although a lot of people start mid-cycle to get used to it.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebuggirl72:
    I bought my bbt from cvs and have been very happy with it.nbsp; It does not have a back light and it does not save your last temp so you do need to turn the light on to see what the temp is in case you plan on going back to sleep afterwards. I just temp orally and have not had a problem with getting a consistent temp shift.nbsp; Make sure you temp at a consistent time everyday, prior to moving/getting up, and after at least 3 hours solid sleep.nbsp;nbsp;

Mine is from CVS too. I do exactly what bug said
    imageimage
    BFP with #1 (twins!) 11/18/2011 - missed m/c at 8weeks3days; d&c 1/19/2012; myomectomy to remove 18cm+,10cm & 5cm fibroids 4/2012; TTC again 7/2012; BFP #2 (twins) 11/13/2012; missed m/c at 7weeks;
    BFP #3: baby girl born 3/5/2014

Balaustine: an anthology about wanting family
  • Mine is a bbt, it goes to the .00 degree. I got mine at Walmart, although I despise that store, for 10 bucks. No backlight, but it does store the temp until the next use. Saw Walgreens had one on sale for 7.99 this week, might be 9.99 but I think it was 7

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• Mine is walgreens brand and saves the last temp. Temping orally has seemed to work okay. I probably wouldn't be up for doing it vaginally.
    imageimage
    BFP #1 08/05/12. EDD 4/15/13 m/c 08/27/12
    BFP #2 06/05/13. EDD 2/16/2014 (Team Blue). Baby Wombat born 2/20/2014 7lb. 11oz and 20 in.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I got my thermometer at Target and it seems to work well. I temp orally even though I'm sometimes a mouth breather when sleeping.

TTC Since 8/2011
    BFP #1 5/13/12 * EDD 1/24/13 * MC at 7 wks 4 days on 6/11/12
    BFP #2 5/13/13 * Current EDD 1/23/14

Baby N born 2/8/14

imageimage

Lilypie - (HD7B)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"