March 2013 Moms

What would you do if you and OB disagreed this late.

My wonderful DH got laid off and so did our insurance...

Now I'm stuck on Medicaid and have absolutely no options to see another OB.

My last period, knowing about what time I did the deed that could have conceived, high-tech hospital 20 week hospital ultrasound, and fundal height all agree that my due date estimate is April 7th. 

My OB is positive it's March 29th. Her office is against VBACs and she wanted me to have a RCS @ 39 weeks. After many visits of disagreeing and asking her to reconsider, she agreed to have the RCS on "the due date" of March 29. Now at my last appointment she said she has to leave town that week and no I cannot have another doctor in her office and I cannot go past my "due date." So Now I'm scheduled to go in March 22! That's 37 weeks and 3 days if my due date is April 7th.

I'm so worried baby is going to miss out on some serious lung and brain development. What would you do? 

Re: What would you do if you and OB disagreed this late.

• Why is she convinced that she is right about the due date?
  • I would be furious! Why is she wanting you to go early!? They say 39 weeks is best. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't forget this is YOUR body and YOUR baby... Your doctor is making recommendations about what she thinks is best for you, but it's ultimately up to you to make the plans.  I don't understand why another doctor in her office cannot attend you while she's gone; most offices have doctors on a rotation and you get whoever is on-call that day.  If you want to have VBAC, or at least try for it, cancel your RCS. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I talked to the doctor and insurance company about this. The insurance company said that if my doctor says I need a c section and I refuse to go then I will be dropped from the insurance and have to pay for it myself. I really would if I could but DH's job doesn't come back until summer and he hasn't been able to find an in-between. It's just not something we could afford. There are also other offices here but I've called them all. They are on the same "rotation" and would not accept a patient from another doctor that late. (I was 26 weeks when I started trying to find another doctor.)
  • Everyone I know is furious! She thinks the 22nd is 39 weeks. I just haven't been able to find a way around all of it yet.
  • A 15 week ultrasound (my first visit with her because of the insurance switch) 

I know earlier ultrasounds are more accurate but that machine was crap and she always does everything so rushed. I just don't think her measurements were accurate especially based on all the other factors.   

imageMrsHark122:
    Why is she convinced that she is right about the due date?
  • I talked to the doctor and insurance company about this. The insurance company said that if my doctor says I need a c section and I refuse to go then I will be dropped from the insurance and have to pay for it myself. I really would if I could but DH's job doesn't come back until summer and he hasn't been able to find an in-between. It's just not something we could afford. There are also other offices here but I've called them all. They are on the same "rotation" and would not accept a patient from another doctor that late. (I was 26 weeks when I started trying to find another doctor.) 

imageMandG2010:
    Don't forget this is YOUR body and YOUR baby... Your doctor is making recommendations about what she thinks is best for you, but it's ultimately up to you to make the plans.  I don't understand why another doctor in her office cannot attend you while she's gone; most offices have doctors on a rotation and you get whoever is on-call that day.  If you want to have VBAC, or at least try for it, cancel your RCS. 
  • Everyone I know is furious! She thinks the 22nd is 39 weeks. I just haven't been able to find a way around all of it yet. 

imagestaceyjordan:
    I would be furious! Why is she wanting you to go early!? They say 39 weeks is best. 
  • When my doctor and I talked about something similar to this she said they can't make you do anything until you are 2 weeks past your due date. This is apparently a hospital policy where I am delivering. Have you tried contacting someone else at the hospital to see what their policies are?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Doesn't sound right, but you might be limited with Medicaid. I don't know much about it, but from what I understand the care is not that great and the doctors you can choose are pretty limited.
  • It honestly sounds to me like the doc is far more concerned with her convenience and paycheck. I would make an appointment to meet with her with your husband, one separate from your normal check ups.

Print out the ACOG standards for determined due date and scheduling for RCS. You can find them at www.ACOG.org. Ask her why she is refusing to follow them, and that you understand that by them being ignored, she is putting both you and baby at risk.

I would also contact whomever you can related to your insurance with this information. Let them know that your doctor is trying to force this on you against the ACOG standards. Remind them that a preemie baby is only going to be of more expense to them. Then tell them they still have the option of avoiding this by maintaining coverage when you refuse her date for RCS or by allowing you to switch practitioners.

Odds are one will cave to help you out. The Doc to avoid a lawsuit, or the insurance to avoid a lawsuit and/or the extra expense this Doc may cost them. 

The key is to let them know you are educated, and that education means you can NOT be pushed around. Let them see this instead of a hysterical or just upset mom to be. 

It is YOUR body and YOUR baby. You are doing what's right, and don't let them tell you any differently. I know it isn't an easy battle, but it is definitely one worth fighting!

• imagejbanasiak:

It honestly sounds to me like the doc is far more concerned with her convenience and paycheck. I would make an appointment to meet with her with your husband, one separate from your normal check ups.

Print out the ACOG standards for determined due date and scheduling for RCS. You can find them at www.ACOG.org. Ask her why she is refusing to follow them, and that you understand that by them being ignored, she is putting both you and baby at risk.

I would also contact whomever you can related to your insurance with this information. Let them know that your doctor is trying to force this on you against the ACOG standards. Remind them that a preemie baby is only going to be of more expense to them. Then tell them they still have the option of avoiding this by maintaining coverage when you refuse her date for RCS or by allowing you to switch practitioners.

Odds are one will cave to help you out. The Doc to avoid a lawsuit, or the insurance to avoid a lawsuit and/or the extra expense this Doc may cost them. 

The key is to let them know you are educated, and that education means you can NOT be pushed around. Let them see this instead of a hysterical or just upset mom to be. 

It is YOUR body and YOUR baby. You are doing what's right, and don't let them tell you any differently. I know it isn't an easy battle, but it is definitely one worth fighting!

I just wanted to say that I completely agree with all of this. It is YOUR body and the health of YOUR baby. You can not allow your doctor to  control this just because it is what is most convenient for her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Try calling the hospital and asking for a hospital patient advocate.  They may be able to help.
  • jbanasiak's comment I agree with whole heartedly.

When you and DH meet with her, also make it clear that if she insists you will file a complaint with your state board, any other board she's affiliated with, and that you have already secured an attorney that is prepared to sue her for malpractice if your baby shows signs of being preterm if the cs is done on the date she wants. Doesnt matter that you haven't, just trying to put the fear of god in her. Hopefully with all that she'll back off.

I'd also still try to see if there's anyway you could go to someone else.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• No advice, just a ton of sympathy. I know how much it sucks to feel trapped with a crappy doctor because of circumstances like this. I lost my insurance in the 3rd trimester of my first pregnancy and ended up at a clinic that was basically entirely funded by Medicaid with a resident general practitioner, not even an OB or even a real "doctor", who never listened to any of my concerns or complaints. I was in tears after each appointment, because no other doctor in town would touch me.

I hope you're able to find some kind of solution. Is it possible to get your medical records from your previous OB with the old due date to help you argue for postponing the c-section. 

DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"