August 2012 Moms

Fix my baby.

He's a happy kid. Although, I believe he's teething we're trying to sleep train him. Some nights, he falls asleep while eating his last bottle. Other nights he cries for varies amounts of time. At night, he sleeps usually until 1230 then he's up about every hour just crying in his sleep. And is up super early now when he used to it getup until like 7308am. Now it's like 45am.
Wonder week? Teething? Both?
How am I supposed to sleep train him if he falls asleep eating sometimes?

Edit to add. And the gas. Omg. He's so gassy at night... Idk what to do about that
Shane 8/19/12 Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Re: Fix my baby.

• From what I understand, there is a 6 month sleep regression period.  Honestly, I would just get through this first before I worried about sleep training.  Do what you have to do to survive and get some sleep, you know?

• I feel like it started once we started trying to sleep train him.. But we currently share. Bedroom until we move the end of march, so maybe I should just put it off a few more weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagepoppyseed1017:
    From what I understand, there is a 6 month sleep regression period.  Honestly, I would just get through this first before I worried about sleep training.  Do what you have to do to survive and get some sleep, you know?

This is more or less what I was following right now. DD was sleeping really, really well until a few weeks ago. At this point for us, it's really hard to do sleep training, because she's in the room with us in her pack-n-play. So when we come to bed that stirs her, and my husband is a loud sleeper (makes lots of noise rolling over) and wakes her up sometimes. I am just in autopilot mode right now, and will focus on it more once we move in a few months and can put her in her own room. Right now with the house selling, having one less room (hers) not messed up lowers my stress, so she's staying in our room for now.

[<b>edited by:</b> WhimsyGirl14 at 4:29 PM (GMT -6) on Tue, Feb 26 2013]
     Edited to add that obviously I'm no help, but I understand where you're coming from. Also, with us starting solids, I've noticed she's been more gassy, too.

Photobucket
  • Most of the books will tell you to wait out teething before you sleep train.  They need you and they need to know that you wont abandon them if they are in distress.  As far as gassiness goes, we use a formula that is specifically for gassy babies, so LO isnt uncomfortable as she sleeps.  If she does have trouble, we use gas drops, but that is usually only if she is having a particularly rough time. 

I'm not sure which method you are using to sleep train, but the one I used had me put DD down awake but sleepy so that if she did wake up at night, she was able to put herself back to sleep since her environment had not changed.  Not sure if that helps at all, but I hope things get better for you. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • We use gentlease. Usually targets brand. And he tends to do better with it than the name brand. The gas is a new thing and not all the time. And teething is just starting the past day or two. Nothing pins down to any one thing. I just feel steam rolled. SO isn't very helpful with the sleep training. Actually put him to bed with the TV on last night in our room... Uh really?? He's home 2 nights out of 8 and manages to just about ruin what I've done the rest. He's had 2 ear infections in a month, so idk if its another one or what.
  • There is a six month sleep regression, like Poppy said.

DS did this too for about a week. He never eats in the MOTN, like he hasn't since he was about 4 months old. So, if he gets up in the MOTN, we let him do whatever he wants in his crib, but we don't pick him up - we just follow Ferber with check-ins if he starts to cry. If he's just awake in his crib talking or playing, we stay out of his room. He has a set wake up time (we established this when we did Ferber - it's recommended and in the book). It's 6am. If he wakes up at 5:58am, he stays in his crib until 6:00, on the dot. Never, ever do we get him out of his crib before then.

Now, he just hangs out in his crib until 6 if he wakes up before then, like he knows he isn't getting up until 6.

If he falls asleep eating, there's no need to sleep train him for that put down. Just put him down and then if he wakes up and starts crying, start whatever sleep training method you're doing. 

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"