3rd Trimester

going home outfit ?question?

When you bought your going home outfit did you buy two of the same outfit but different sizes?? (newborn and 0-3m) everyone tells me not to get too many newborn outfits because some babies come out already too big for them. How do you know what size to get for that first outfit?

Re: going home outfit ?question?

• I brought two different sizes with me.  Olivia was 8.1 pounds, 19 inches when she was born and 7.3 or 7.4 when we were discharged from the hospital (initial weight loss is totally normal, she was back at her birth weight within a week).

I agree with the statement about newborn clothes.  Get the second hand if you can, I'd rather buy DD's clothes a little too big than waste money on stuff she grows out of in a month.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would bring a cute newborn and a 0-3 outfit.
  • Loading the player...
  • The outfit that I purposely purchased for going home is a newborn size. The VAST majority of newborns are going to fit into a newborn size to go home in, even if they grow out of newborn in a week. I also chose a 0-3 month outfit that we received as a gift as a back up just in case. But I would bet a lot of money that your baby will be able to go home in newborn size.
    Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • I have packed 2 newborn and 2,  0-3mos. i figured that way he will have something to wear, no matter what size he may be!
  • Based off of what others had said I only brought a 0-3 outfit. 

Thankfully my mother and father were incredibly excited to run out and go shopping for girls clothes (we didn't find out the sex) because there's no way she could have worn that 0-3 outfit. In fact, she was nearly 3 months old before she fit into most 0-3 clothing.  

This time I'll only be buying newborn.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm only bringing newborn sizes.  My cousin had a 10 lb baby, and our friends a 9 lb baby, and both of them came home in nb size.  Granted, the biggest baby only wore that size for a couple of weeks, but it was still the appropriate size for take-home.  It depends on the brand also.  Carter's newborn will fit these bigger babies whereas a brand like Gerber might not.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• We bought a new born outfit and picked a 0-3 month outfit as a back up that we received as a shower gift - odds are pretty good she'll fit the newborn but i want a "just in case" outfit...
    BabyFruit Ticker Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family image
  • imagewendalsue:
    It depends on the brand also.  Carter's newborn will fit these bigger babies whereas a brand like Gerber might not.

ITA. Gerber fits a size smaller. So their NB is more like a premie size.

I've always found Carters to be massive.

ON and Gap have always been pretty true to size for us.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • The majority of babies will be able to wear newborn at the hospital. They might grow out of that size within a few weeks, but they will be in them for a little bit.

My daughter was 5 lbs 3 oz and 18 inches. My Mom had to run out and buy preemie, the newborns swallowed her. My son was in newborn for several weeks, he was born at 6 lbs 14 oz.

• imageZippydoo:
    I would bring a cute newborn and a 0-3 outfit.

This is what I did.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My previous babies were 10lb 4oz and 10lb 15 oz and BOTH came home in NB sized clothes.  Sure, weight-wise they were in the 0-3 month size, but newborn babies are so scrunched up that 0-3m was way too big (and newborns lose up to 10% of their weight so they each lost like a pound by the time we left the hospital-c-section, so 3 days).

I wouldn't have many NB sized things otherwise, though.  For this baby all the NB stuff was handed down (6 short sleeve and 6 long sleeve onesies, 4 pants, a few sleepers) and I was really glad I didn't have to buy it because she will likely grow out of it quick and won't be going out and needing to look fancy. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a newborn, 0-3 and a swaddle outfit in size small (fits 7-14 lbs) so I figure I've covered all the bases.  I have a feeling she'll wind up wearing the 0-3 home since it's really a sack outfit with matching booties and hat and it'll probably be cold outside.
  • Just lurking. Everyone told me not to buy newborn either and I'm glad we got some!I had a 10 lb baby and he wore NB for 6 weeks.

Cooper Edward

• I brought a newborn size to the hospital for DS and he was swimming in it :(   This time I'm bringing a newborn size and a preemie size just in case Jake is as tiny as Owen was. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm actually bringing a preemie size outfit and 2 newborn outfits. The preemie outfit is something my MIL got for her going home. It is the cutest gown so if she fits she'll come home in that. I tried to tell my MIL that I didn't think a preemie would work but she INSISTS that babies are that small when they come home from the hospital... we'll see... I packed two other really cute outfits we received just in case.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageBelhurstBride:

Based off of what others had said I only brought a 0-3 outfit. 

Thankfully my mother and father were incredibly excited to run out and go shopping for girls clothes (we didn't find out the sex) because there's no way she could have worn that 0-3 outfit. In fact, she was nearly 3 months old before she fit into most 0-3 clothing.  

This time I'll only be buying newborn.  

This was our experience as well.  DS is actually a huge kid now but it was definitely a good thing that we had NB sized clothing for a while!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As PPs suggested, I would bring a couple diff sizes, just in case. With DS I only took 0-3m sized outfits, and he was swimming in the one we took him home in. Granted he outgrew all his newborn stuff in a couple weeks.
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie Third Birthday tickers "You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the one person you can't live without."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"