February 2013 Moms

Breast Pump Help!

So I really want to breast feed my baby and have been for the first two days but now my nipples are so swollen and raw I need to find a breast pump for relief. Please tell me what you use and why you like it. I don't care about price. I am willing to pay whatever I need to give my baby my milk. I will be going back to work so something that I can take with me is my main consideration. Thanks for your help.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Breast Pump Help!

• I have a Medela pump in style advanced and love it. I used it to exclusively pump for DD. Plan to use it this time, but only when I work. I have also heard good things shot the Ameda purely yours.
    imageimageimage
  • imagebeanersmommy:
    I have a Medela pump in style advanced and love it. I used it to exclusively pump for DD. Plan to use it this time, but only when I work. I have also heard good things shot the Ameda purely yours.

First off, call your LC, they can help with your latch. Second of all, pumping isn't going to feel good either  it also hurts some at the beginning. Get yourself some medela soothies gel breast pads, remember to let your nips airdry & express some milk on them after you nurse & rub it around. Third, both are GREAT pumps :)

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
    1/1 Spotting, 1/3 beta 36,000, 1/5 u/s empty sac measuring 7w (9w5d), 1/6 d&c
    You will always be loved & missed our sweet angel.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've always used the Medela PISA and liked it. Agreed with previous poster though that you need some of the gel soothies pads and maybe some Morherlove Nipple Cream. Definitely seek an LC to make sure your latch is ok.

ETA that the soothies pads I know and love are made by lansinoh and you can buy them at Target.
    Mommy to Seth (4) and Catherine Anne (13 mo.) Excited to welcome a third child in March of 2013!
  • I've used a bunch of different pumps (PISA, Ameda, hand pump) before I bought a Medela Freestyle.  I LOVE my Freestyle!  I pumped for 14 months with it with DS about four times a day and I've dragged it out again and it still works fine. I definitely prefer it over the other pumps. You should see a LC about your nipples/latch though.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagejoecubed:
    ETA that the soothies pads I know and love are made by lansinoh and you can buy them at Target.

YES not medela

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
    1/1 Spotting, 1/3 beta 36,000, 1/5 u/s empty sac measuring 7w (9w5d), 1/6 d&c
    You will always be loved & missed our sweet angel.
  • I used lanolin after every feeding early on and it made a huge difference. 

I am using the Medea harmony but it is manual as I am not going back to work. Definitely try the lanolin though.  

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• I would for sure contact an LC or find a breast feeding group nearby.  as far as pumps go I have used Medela, Ameda and Hygeia pumps. I highly highly recommend the Hygeia pumps. They have a three year warranty instead of one, it is a closed system (can be used by multiple users so you don't just throw it away after, also doesn't have the mold issue that Medela's are lent to), the company follow WHO (world health organization) code, and very green which I like, you can sell, donate or even send back your pump when you are done with it, "no pumps in dumps".  They are also really helpful when it comes to breastfeeding and or pumping problems, when my DD was six months old she lost two lbs and they helped me find a physician that specialized in breastfeeding in my area.  They were helping a lot of mom's that were being jerked around by insurance companies about pumps, I didn't see Medela doing that.  Something I love about my Hygeia pump is the record your baby option, it may sound silly, but it really help me with my let down when I was at work. 
  • I agree pumping can be painful too. I use either lanolin or olive oil as suggested by the LCs at the hospital as lubrication for the pump. If I do that before I start pumping, it's not that bad. I have the Medela PISA and pump every 3 to 4 hours with it currently.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
  • imagepitterpatter129:

I've used a bunch of different pumps (PISA, Ameda, hand pump) before I bought a Medela Freestyle.  I LOVE my Freestyle!  I pumped for 14 months with it with DS about four times a day and I've dragged it out again and it still works fine. I definitely prefer it over the other pumps. You should see a LC about your nipples/latch though.

ditto

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"