Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Question for reflux moms re: cereal in formula

How far in advance can the cereal in the formula bottle be prepared?  Normally, I make the bottles for the day and put them in the fridge and then just warm them up at feeding time.  Can I do this with the rice cereal?  Or do I have to add the cereal right before feeding?

tia!

Re: Question for reflux moms re: cereal in formula

• We add cereal to 1 bottle/day and mix it way beforehand, leave it in the fridge and then heat it up. Seems to be fine.
  • I do that for all my bottles, it is fine
  • Loading the player...
  • it's 1 tbsp per 1 oz of formula, right?  
  • That's what we were told. DS eats 6 oz and I use 1.5 tbsp. I have found if I mix it beforehand and put in the fridge, it gets too thick.
  • smfinallymg:  you use 1.5 tbsp per oz (so 9 tbsp total?) or 1.5 tbsp in the 6 oz bottle total?

• It's funny, I was asking myself this same exact question last night as I was making up bottles. I read the rice cereal box and it says it's fully cooked and there was no time limit on how long it can sit out/be refrigerated once it's mixed. So I added it to the bottles in advance.
  • 1.5 tbsp for the whole 6 oz bottle. It's really a trial and error. I would start with 1 tbsp total. If that doesn't make a difference, I would up it slowly.

Also, check out the Reflux Mama's Check in. There are really great ladies there who can help you out.

https://refluxmamas.blogspot.com/

• That's what I do. ?I use 1 tsp for every 2 oz. ?It seems to work well and no constipation issues.
  • Are there certain types of nipple that are best to use when putting cereal in the formula?? I use Avent bottles to feed DD, and have started putting cereal in her formula..but it takes her FOREVER to eat because it hardly comes out...?? I don't want to ruin my Avent nipple by cutting bigger holes?...Any suggestions??
  • hi ladies. my pediatrician told me its 1 tsp per 2 oz of formula. I also mix it when Im making the bottle bc it does get very thick as it stands. we do one 6 oz bottle with 3 tsp of cereal at bedtime.
  • I mixed the cereal in all the bottles for the day ahead of time and it worked fine.  We did 1 T for every 2 oz.  For nipples, we used a stage 2 and just let her take frequent breaks because it was much faster than she was used to.  I would not make a nipple bigger, id be worried some of it would break off if I didnt do it right.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was told 1 tablespoon for every 4 oz.
  • I was told never to put cereal in a babys bottle. My daughter has reflux and my ped says it is not good to do that.
  • depends on the bottle u use. some bottles have a nipple that is made specifically for thicker fluids.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"