Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Question for Moms of Summer Babies

Not sure where to post this question, but due to my calculations, I think most on this board have summer babies...

My son was born in February, so as a newborn he wore all warm sleepers with onesies underneath. I am due in July with my second, and have no idea what kind of clothes to put a newborn in in the summer. It will be hot outside, but cool inside. So far I have a couple of summertime rompers for day, and gowns for her to sleep in. I know we will be outside a lot, with my son, and I'm thinking, how can I keep her cool, while keeping the sun off of her? Will I need any longsleeve sleepers?

Help! 

Re: Question for Moms of Summer Babies

• We live in South Florida, so the seasons are irrelevant.  It is always hot!

Both of my babies were born in June.  For the first few weeks I did the gowns. When they co slept with us we just put them in onesies, since it is hot in bed with us.  Then once they moved to sleeping on their own we did thin cotton sleepers.  Now that he is 8 month he does sleepers or two piece short sleeve pjs.
    During the day when they were really little I did onesies wirh pants if we were inside a/c.  If we were going to be outside we did onesies or dresses.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I have an August baby (born in TX) and I usually put very thin long sleeve sleepers on her or the sets that come with a onesie/pants or something like that. I hardly left the house with her during the first 2 months and kept it very cool so she was fine. As a cover for the car seat, I used the aden + anais swaddling blankets and I HIGHLY recommend them! Hope this helps!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Born in June on the outskirts of the desert- Inside- mostly short sleeved onesies with socks and a receiving blanket on him somehow. 

Outside- Short sleeved onesie + socks. 2 receiving blankets with us always. 1 for his lap while he was in his carseat and 1 for blocking sun or wind when he was outside.

Sleeping- long sleeved onesie + socks and light blanket draped across RnP 

Basically my kid didnt wear pants til he was 3 months old. 

• I have a July baby too and had this same issue! My house is cool in the summer because of the AC. He wore sleepers (long pants/long sleeves) inside. Whe he went outside I changed him into just a light onsie. I made sure to keep him out of the sun though. GL!
  • I had a July baby and always slept her in a thin long sleeve sleeper and a cotton wrap. Now in winter I put her in a thicker long sleeve sleeper and a fleece wrap. As for days We put her in rompers and onesies mostly. Though I hate it too cold so we never blast the AC or anything. 

Rule of thumb is dress LO the same as you, maybe one additional layer 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My baby was born during a heatwave and wore very little for the first several months of his life...he was often in just a diaper or a snap crotch bodysuit at the most.  For sleep we swaddled him in a SwaddleMe with just a diaper.

Congrats on baby #2 :)

• Congrats on #2!

Cooper was born early July, and he pretty much rocked onsies exclusively for the summer. For sleeping, we used light cotton long sleeve one piece pj's and a swaddle. I try to use my comfort level as a gauge, and if in doubt, add a layer. As for being outside, maybe one of those shade tent type of things would be helpful.

"Parenting is a constant struggle between making your kid's live better and ruining your own." Willie Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty'
    Anniversary IMAG1763 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO was born in August, and it was HOT! (100+ degrees)

For the first several weeks, most of the time he was just in a diaper. Our AC could barely keep up, so even in the house it was 80+ degrees. When we went outside, aden + anais blankets were great sun-shade while still letting a breeze through.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My LO was born in July, he mostly wore short sleeve onesies, sometimes with shorts, during the day.  If we were outside, like on a walk, I made sure he had a hat on or was in the shade.  At night I put him in a long-sleeve onesie, socks, and swaddleme.  He never fussed about being too hot or too cold so I figure what he was wearing was just about right.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our August baby wore a lot of footed sleepers and long sleeve onesies. We keep our house pretty cool.
  • Hi there! I have a late June 2012 baby and I live in TX. We did onesies during the day and long sleeve, cotton pajamas at night but he was swaddled a lot, day and night, esp for the first few months. I bought a Groegg for our room (and moved it to the nursery later) which I found to be really helpful and they're only about $20. I honestly don't know about how to keep her cool outside, I'm sorry, b/c we stayed inside a lot.  100+ is just too hot for anyone, esp a newborn!  Good luck!
    Anniversary Visit The Nest! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemyluckypig:
    We live in South Florida, so the seasons are irrelevant.  It is always hot!

Both of my babies were born in June.  For the first few weeks I did the gowns. When they co slept with us we just put them in onesies, since it is hot in bed with us.  Then once they moved to sleeping on their own we did thin cotton sleepers.  Now that he is 8 month he does sleepers or two piece short sleeve pjs.
    During the day when they were really little I did onesies wirh pants if we were inside a/c.  If we were going to be outside we did onesies or dresses.

This exactly as we also live in FL, except no dresses ;) 

chasechristmas

Chase Matthew born at 35 weeks on July 31st

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• I remember getting VERY distressed trying to figure out what to buy for my LO. He was born in August, so while it was towards the end of the summer we were in Virginia Beach, so it was still very hot. I primarily just kept him in light cotton outfits -- usually long pants with a tshirt onesie. I kept a receiving blanket on him and had a back up light fleece blanket just in case he still got cold. When we were inside he was almost always swaddled in a cotton blanket, and I would keep him in the same outfit that he would wear outside...but our A/C didn't work too well, so our house was typically a little warmer than most people's homes in the summer.

Congratulations on your new baby!! 

photo be95277b-fa62-41de-9ba4-be458fb2faa1.jpg
  • If you keep your house cool with AC or you have cool evenings where you live, you will still want some sleepers and some light cardigans.  I sometimes just put a short-sleeved onsie on my LO and then swaddled her when she was a newborn.  I often just used short-sleeved onsies during the day too if it was hot and I used the suncover on the stroller and carseat to keep her protected.  If you have a girl, you can use cute little summer dresses too. 

I bought a couple kimono style long sleeve tops that were light weight.  That way she wouldn't be too hot and her umbilical cord stump was exposed to air which helps dry it up.  So I really liked that in the early weeks.

Also, buy some sunhats.  I found them hard to find in newborn sizes, so I had to get them a little big.

• Hello! 

Congrats on your second one :) My daughter was due in July but came a week earlier in June. I preferred one piece short sleeve body suits and cute dresses most of the time. They worked great for me. You can always have a blanket kind of thing with you and use it if you feel like baby is cold. They are pretty warm most of the time, though. I love summer babies! Good Luck :) 

• July baby here, and LO wore onesies and sleeveless rompers.  At night she would wear a onesie with a lightweight sleepsack and I would swaddle her arms with a lightweight blanket.  Our AC couldn't keep up with the Texas heat so it was really warm in our room during the day and at night, we would have fans going constantly to try and cool it down a little bit.  If we went out, she wasn't in the sun any length of time.  Usually it would be between the car and the store, so I just put the visor thing her carseat had up and block the sun from her.

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I live in Utah so we have fairly mild summers. My Son was born in August and I put him in short sleeve onsies and socks if we were in the house, if we went somewhere I put light pants on him with usually a light blanket. For night he slept in the long sleeve gowns. It made late night diaper changes pretty easy. I keep the house at about 68 year round and he never got hot or cold as far as I know. I'm not sure about other summer moms but my baby did sweat in his sleep for about the first month, I asked my doctor if K was too hot and he said that it was fluids leaving his body after birth (much like what happens to us) and it wasn't a temperature thing.

• imageabbyful:

My LO was born in August, and it was HOT! (100+ degrees)

For the first several weeks, most of the time he was just in a diaper. Our AC could barely keep up, so even in the house it was 80+ degrees. When we went outside, aden + anais blankets were great sun-shade while still letting a breeze through.

My son has the exact same shirt that your adorable baby has on in your siggy. Did you get it at Hobby Lobby?? I searched all over for a Valentine's shirt and couldn't find one anywhere in his size. I found it there of all places!

• LO was born at the end of July.  For maybe the 1st month or 2 we put him to bed with just a tshirt onsie and swaddle.  I wasn't sure what he should wear, but as you said it was warmer out and most of the pjs were longsleeve/covers the legs.  I think in Sept ish we started him wearing actual pjs (I used it as a start to a bed time routine- change into pjs..). 
  • DS2 was born Aug 6.  At home he basically just wore a diaper.  It was so hot, even with the AC on, and he was always sweating.  At night he was swaddled so sometimes he'd wear a onesie underneath, sometimes just a diaper.  We didn't really take him outside to play for long periods of time or anything but a little sun isn't harmful.  He wore onesies and if we were out for a while, we'd find shade.
  • I have a feb and august kids. They wore the same type of sleepers as newborns. I added a couple rompers and onesies for the August baby, but he mainly wore hand me downs from my feb baby.

W (02/2009), N (08/2012), and C (04/2014)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"