March 2013 Moms

How many of you are...?

How many of you are refusing internals?

I had one last Monday and it hurt pretty bad.  I am scheduled to have one tomorrow but am still deciding on whether or not I want one.  Yes, it hurt but I also like knowing the progress.  I'm feeling torn!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How many of you are...?

• I refuse them. There's really no benefit and don't give any information. The only one I had with DD1 was when I was in labor and having contractions 4 min apart. When I was checked, I wasn't even 1 cm dilated, so midwife sent me home and said it could be a few days. I went home, my water broke a couple hours later and I went from less than 1 to completely dilated in less than 4 hours. On the other hand, I've had friends walk around dilated at 4 cm for weeks.

Knowing how dilated you are, or aren't, doesn't tell you anything about when you'll go into labor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I refuse them during pregnancy and I don't allow "hourly" internals once I go into labor. I allow them to check me once I arrive at the hospital, a few hours later, and then when I feel like I need to push.

If I were at risk for preterm labor, that would be a different story. But after my 1st three pregnancies, I realized there are no benefits to having routine/regular internals done for a term mom.

*Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm way to curious of a person to turn one down lol.  I realize it doesn't tell me when I'll go into labor, but I'd definately like to know if I'm walking around at 3 or 4 cms as a 2nd time mom- I might be more apt to head to the hospital sooner than later once contractions started up.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't even have to refuse, because my midwife doesn't do them. I prefer it this way. Getting checked during labor didn't help me  before.
    5.18.11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker EDD 3.12.13
  • imagedoremi29:

I'm way to curious of a person to turn one down lol.

Yup me too! I was already at a 2 at my 36 week appointment and that was kind of a shock. I work on my feet all day and I'm kind of hoping if I do go to a 3 or 4 my doctor will take me off work :)

Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm another that's way too curious. Plus, I don't find them painful at all so I don't mind the checks.

• I find it weird to have to "refuse" them. My ob won't even do them unless you want her to. She'll ask if you want one and if you say no then she waits until you go into labor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageJordynLeighx3:
    I find it weird to have to "refuse" them. My ob won't even do them unless you want her to. She'll ask if you want one and if you say no then she waits until you go into labor.

My midwife doesn't push them. She always asks at my 36wk checkup if I want her to check or not... I tell her no, I'm not interested in routine internals.. and that's the end of it. The nurses in the hospital are a different story, though. Some of them are cool with it, some of them are rather pushy about it. :/

*Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't refuse because I'm curious and b/c I went into PTL at 27 weeks (dilated to 2, 50% effaced and contracting) so I am very happy to almost be full term. Next dr. appointment on Friday and I will be so curious to know if anything has changed.
    Baby Slings at Nurtured Family BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I don't refuse. FWIW, they get easier each time, especially if you've made progress. It's also different depending on the doctor. Some hurt, and some don't. If I were you, I'd give it another try. But it's obviously up to you. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't refuse them, I like knowing what's going on in there. 
  • My doctor offered during the last couple weeks of my pregnancy and I declined until I was just about 40 weeks. He actually kept telling me it was up to me but they don't mean much anyway. Many women requested them. This time I will do the same. Refuse sounds harsh.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I was planning on refusing, but my doctor never offered.
  • I wouldn't refuse anything my doctor wanted to do b/c I assume it's in my (and the baby's) best interest.

That being said, my office doesn't do them unless they're necessary, but if they wanted to do one, I'd have no problem with it.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• I've been getting them.  I've had some strong, regular contractions that have sent me to L&D twice already, and I"m just under 37 weeks.  Last internal on Fri evening indicated I was 5cm and 80% effaced.  I want to make sure that if I start the hard contractions again that I head right in.
  • I've only had one so far and my dr was doing the strep B test anyways. He didn't really ask me if I wanted one he just said I'm going to the do the strep b test and check your cervix.  It wasn't painful, just a little uncomfortable at the most for me.  Like PP said, I would have been too curious to turn it down anyways! Plus since he's considering inducing at 37 weeks now due to BP issues, I wanted to know if I was at all dilated! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecovertxxamour:
    I don't refuse. FWIW, they get easier each time, especially if you've made progress. It's also different depending on the doctor. Some hurt, and some don't. If I were you, I'd give it another try. But it's obviously up to you. Good luck!

Thanks for this.  Like pp, I too am very curious.  I think I will probably have one today.  Maybe my doctor was just a little rough on me last time.  I do like knowing that my body is progressing.  It's actually quite interesting. 

Thanks everyone for the opinions.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • This exactly!  I was at a 3 last week, and with how fast my first labor was, I definitely want to know, because I expect this one to come even faster.  And my body has already done a third of the dilating without any contractions.

imagedoremi29:

I'm way to curious of a person to turn one down lol.  I realize it doesn't tell me when I'll go into labor, but I'd definately like to know if I'm walking around at 3 or 4 cms as a 2nd time mom- I might be more apt to head to the hospital sooner than later once contractions started up.

BFP #1 - 9/26/09 MC/D&C - 10/23/09 BFP#2 - 12/18/09 STICK BABY STICK!!! Caden Arthur born 8/2/2010 @ 9:00PM - 37 weeks BFP #3 - 7/6/12 Caden is going to be a big brother! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker MY BLOG
  • I would normally turn them
    down if offered, but I need to have an induction for medical reasons, and they need to know if there's any progress before they start the induction. I had one yesterday, and will have another on Thursday. Induction scheduled for Friday morning.
    BFP #2 5/31/12 CP 5w2d 6/4/12 BFP #3 7/9/12 EDD 3/8/13 Another Girl!! Lilypie Pregnancy tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageshibby00:
    I don't refuse them, I like knowing what's going on in there. 

This. Besides, it's all of 30 seconds, really. Nothing compared to what we're about to go through! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"