July 2013 Moms

List of the things people say that drive me insane

I'll start off by saying that I know these people mean well, but I definitely learned what I will not say to a pregnant person in the future.

1. "How's [the] baby"  - I never know how to answer this. He's good.. I think. Just hanging out in my uterus.. being a fetus.. I don't know.

2. "Names picked out yet?"  - I usually say no we're waiting until after he's here to decided. To which they say  "Well you must have some ideas" and then I say yes but we're not sharing yet, and then in most cases they pester me until I tell them one on the list and they tell me that they knew a guy who killed someone with that name.. or some other bad association they have with it. I need to start lying about our choices.

3. "You're barely pregnant." - I got this a lot in the first tri when I was feeling really crappy all the time and didn't want to do anything.

4. "Don't get your hopes up to much my (aunt, cousin, sister, mom, self) lost a baby at [x] weeks". - WHY DO PEOPLE TELL ME THESE THINGS. I know terrible things happen but when I'm excited and sharing my news I do not want you to burst my bubble. Why people choose to scare already terrified pregnant woman is beyond me. Thank god this doesn't happen as much after the 1st tri.

5. "Here comes preggers/preggo" - NO, here comes Jasmine.. if you really want to announce my arrival. I'm still the same person, I just happen to be pregnant at the moment.

6. "When I get pregnant I wont feel/act that way or eat/do that." - Good for you. Don't make me feel guilty until you've been through it.

Well that's all I can think of right now.. What do people say to you that drives you nuts?

Re: List of the things people say that drive me insane

• I LOVE everything you said. Everything.

My annoying coworker who is on #3 came up to me and asked about a spa I went to. I told her I didn't do the hot tub in the bath ritual, because both the spa AND my doc said I shouldn't since the temp is higher than 100 degrees. She gave me the whole, "Oh it's just because you're a first time mom. I'm on number 3 now, so I don't worry like you do anymore". I get that FTMs are known for being overly cautious, but if my doctor says "no" then I'm not going to do it. 

Similarly to your #1, I don't like constantly being asked, "How are you feeling?" as a conversation starter either. It's making me crazy. 

BFP # 1 11/2011, MC 12/2011 
    BFP #2 11/2012, Delivered at 21 weeks on 3/16/13 due to complications with bilateral renal agenesis. 
    ~~Missing Astrid Lynne~~
    BFP#3: 09/2013, EDD 5/14/14

Lilypie - (9zLl)
  • I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but I love the "So are you and your bf getting married now that you're pregnant?" And then when I answer no, the next question is usually "Are your parents disappointed that you got pregnant before you're married?" And then when I answer "No, they knew we were trying to get pregnant and they don't care about us getting married, just like we don't care about getting married." Which then becomes, "Oh, you're pregnancy wasn't an accident??"

I love how rude people can be..

• Loading the player...
  • I *love* the women or FTM who say when their baby comes they won't or will do xyz. I was just at a baby shower this past weekend and the soon to be mom and some others at the party were saying weird things. I didn't know half of them so I internally rolled my eyes and kept my mouth shut.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• I think I hate being asked "how you feelin" the most. I always just say good and they look t me confused looking for more intro. Really? I can give you some fun details but I'm trying to be nice. I get that my co workers are just being nice but I get asked it every single day. It's like once you are pregnant people don't have anything to talk to you about anymore.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • None of these really bother me.  "How's the baby" gets asked a lot because my close family and friends know we got a little bit of bad news and they're curious if everything is still alright with us.  The name thing doesn't bother me since we have them picked out and will gladly tell anyone who asks, I personally don't see a big deal in keeping that a secret... mostly because I really don't care what other people think.  :)  #3 I've never gotten.  I've always gotten "how pregnant are you?  Because that's quite the belly you got there!".  Which also doesn't bother me.  I was flat stomached when I got PG.  I kinda like my bump.

#4 I've also never gotten but if you have that sucks!  And from more than one person?  Who says that?  We are all aware that losses are possible at any time in pregnancy.  It's something we all live with constantly, no need to bring it up. 

#5... that's my nickname now.  I'm on a competitive team and everyone has a nickname.  I became Preggo last season.  Which beats Ginger in my book, which was my old nn.   Also never heard anyone say #6...

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• imageJenR85:
    I think I hate being asked "how you feelin" the most. I always just say good and they look t me confused looking for more intro. Really? I can give you some fun details but I'm trying to be nice. I get that my co workers are just being nice but I get asked it every single day. It's like once you are pregnant people don't have anything to talk to you about anymore.

haha--right? I sometimes feel like saying, "Well let me tell you about my increased discharge...oh--that's not what you wanted to hear about? Then we'll just say I'm feeling good." 

BFP # 1 11/2011, MC 12/2011 
    BFP #2 11/2012, Delivered at 21 weeks on 3/16/13 due to complications with bilateral renal agenesis. 
    ~~Missing Astrid Lynne~~
    BFP#3: 09/2013, EDD 5/14/14

Lilypie - (9zLl)
  • I had a coworker today tell me "you don't LOOK pregnant!" Ummmm....

A, I'm only 20 weeks, so no, I don't have a basketball belly.
    B, I didn't have a tummy sticking out past my boobs 3 months ago.

WTF, did she think that was a compliment?

• The only questions that really frosts my cookies are:

1. "When are you guys getting married?"

When you get an engagement announcement you'll know...quit asking me. 

2. "Was this planned?"

THIS...this pi$$es me off. It is beyond rude and absolutely none of anyone's business. I would never dream of asking someone this.  I'm not in the habit of discusses our birth control or lack of birth control with people...especially co-workers. 

BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • I find it awkward when people ask me how my baby is, I'm always like "good, I think, I hope!" Then I get thinking that I have no clue and panic myself lol.
  • imagejlea05:

The only questions that really frosts my cookies are:

1. "When are you guys getting married?"

When you get an engagement announcement you'll know...quit asking me. 

2. "Was this planned?"

THIS...this pi$$es me off. It is beyond rude and absolutely none of anyone's business. I would never dream of asking someone this.  I'm not in the habit of discusses our birth control or lack of birth control with people...especially co-workers. 

I should have added these. I hate hate hate these.

• imageminouvan:
    I had a coworker today tell me "you don't LOOK pregnant!" Ummmm....

Lolol, I have gotten this one a LOT. Particularly when it's people I don't know. I mean, I get that I'm not huge, but I was visiting a daycare, and the admin person was like, "you're pregnant?" And I kind of wanted to be like, "oh, actually no; I just ate a GIANT sandwich and decided to come look at other people's kids."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAudrey1787:
    imageJennyLynne:

imageJenR85:
    I think I hate being asked "how you feelin" the most. I always just say good and they look t me confused looking for more intro. Really? I can give you some fun details but I'm trying to be nice. I get that my co workers are just being nice but I get asked it every single day. It's like once you are pregnant people don't have anything to talk to you about anymore.

haha--right? I sometimes feel like saying, "Well let me tell you about my increased discharge...oh--that's not what you wanted to hear about? Then we'll just say I'm feeling good." 

"Well I've pooped two days in a row so I'm feeling really good!"

THIS! Haha, I seriously want to tell people about my poop. It is a big deal these days!  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemepxw7:
    imageAudrey1787:
    imageJennyLynne:

imageJenR85:

"Well I've pooped two days in a row so I'm feeling really good!"

THIS! Haha, I seriously want to tell people about my poop. It is a big deal these days!  

I swear I've gone my entire relationship never discussing poop until I got pregnant. In my first tri I never ever ever pooped, I couldn't help talking about it.

• I had a lady at our gym ask when my bf was going to make an honest woman out of me. I had no idea what to say back... I was stunned!
  • imageJennyLynne:

imageJenR85:

Amen!!! Add In " and I have gas all the time and heartburn that makes me vomit"... Pretty much feel amazing and so unwomanly as possible! Haha
  • This post is just so good. I couldn't have summed it up better especially 1. Well done, that is all.
  • All of those anoy me as well....but the one I always get from people is...oh your pregnant? Then with a concerned face they say " oh, is this your first baby?"

Then I say "no, it's my third" then they have nothing else to say.the next time someone asks me that I'm going to say," no actually I'm pregnant with#4&#5... And then we plan to have 3 more! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh my gosh!! That's why I'm up at 1 am! I was just griping to myself about all of these things!! And we just found out gender today, so the new thing is, "when's the baby shower?" "What is the theme of the nursury" I don't know about anyone else, but give me time to process everything! Goodness gracious! I know they mean well, but it is so annoying!!! And telling me things I don't "know" because I am a FTM. This might be my first little one, but I'm not an idiot. Ok rant over, glad other people are just as annoyed!
  • We got pregnant right after out wedding and everyone said. "Wow that was fast!"
    I don't know why but it bugged the crap out if me.
    I am an FTM and got a variation of 4 in the first tri. A friend said "you know most 1st pregnancies end in miscarriage". I was panicked basically all of first tri thanks to that. I still get crazy worried.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagegulickr:
    imageminouvan:
    I had a coworker today tell me "you don't LOOK pregnant!" Ummmm.... A, I'm only 20 weeks, so no, I don't have a basketball belly. B, I didn't have a tummy sticking out past my boobs 3 months ago. WTF, did she think that was a compliment?
    Lolol, I have gotten this one a LOT. Particularly when it's people I don't know. I mean, I get that I'm not huge, but I was visiting a daycare, and the admin person was like, "you're pregnant?" And I kind of wanted to be like, "oh, actually no; I just ate a GIANT sandwich and decided to come look at other people's kids."

Yeah this one really gets me. At around 14-15 weeks a lady at work was like, "Oh you're not even showing." 

Err, thanks? My belly wasn't that big before, but thanks for making me feel fat.

My other favorite is the "oh, just wait"...

"Oh just wait until your nose spreads." Err WTF. 

"You think you're tired now? Oh, just wait." Ok, those women were once FTM moms too, and that sh!t really pushes my buttons. I didn't realize they were the experts on everything.  

• imagegulickr:
    imageminouvan:
    I had a coworker today tell me "you don't LOOK pregnant!" Ummmm.... A, I'm only 20 weeks, so no, I don't have a basketball belly. B, I didn't have a tummy sticking out past my boobs 3 months ago. WTF, did she think that was a compliment?

Yeah this one really gets me. At around 14-15 weeks a lady at work was like, "Oh you're not even showing." 

Err, thanks? My belly wasn't that big before, but thanks for making me feel fat.

"You think you're tired now? Oh, just wait." Ok, those women were once FTM moms too, and that sh!t really pushes my buttons. I didn't realize they were the experts on everything.  

• imageminouvan:

What?! That happens? Lol! 

• A coworker asked me today if I was planning on eating my placenta. Super awkward. Kind of made me wish she would have just asked how I was feeling.
  • imageminouvan:

People say this to me all the time. It makes me kind of sad! I'm like, but I am!! I'm 20 weeks!!! I know they mean well ... And there's plenty of time for me to look pregnant...
  • imagearlingirl:

imagegulickr:
    imageminouvan:

Argggg my male boss said this to me the other day. I was talking to my coworker who is also pregnant about registering. I was like, I am so overwhelmed! So much to learn! And he goes oh just wait till the baby comes. Then you'll be overwhelmed. No sh!t Sherlock, I didn't mean overwhelmed in comparison to actually having the baby!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"