3rd Trimester

Soles of feet itchy!

Aaargh! The soles of my feet and palms of my hands to a lesser degree are crazy itchy! It started up yesterday and last night the soles of my feet were so itchy it kept me up part of the night. It was better during the day today but is starting up again this evening. Anyone else?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Soles of feet itchy!

• Contact your provider ASAP. I was induced with my 5th LO 2 days after being diagnosed with Cholestasis of Pregnancy, and itchy feet and hands was my initial symptom that prompted a blood test which confirmed the diagnoses.
    *Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • That can be a symptom of a liver problem associated with pregnancy so you might want to mention it to your OB/MW, just in case:

What are the symptoms of Cholestasis of pregnancy?

• Itching, particularly on the hands and feet (often is the only symptom noticed)
    • Dark urine color
    • Light coloring of bowel movements
    • Fatigue or exhaustion
    • Loss of appetite
    • Depression

https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/cholestasispregnancy.html

• Loading the player...
  • imagemommajewels87:
    Contact your provider ASAP. I was induced with my 5th LO 2 days after being diagnosed with Cholestasis of Pregnancy, and itchy feet and hands was my initial symptom that prompted a blood test which confirmed the diagnoses.

You beat me to it.

• Eeeek! Just paged my midwife, waiting for a call back. I've been really thirsty too yesterday and today even though I'm drinking a ton of liquids. Hoping it's nothing, thank you for the replies!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Glad you called. It could just be winter induced dry skin, of course. But the fact you say specifically the soles of your feet and the palms of your hands, it really makes me think Cholestasis.... just because I've personally BTDT. Keep us posted, and goodluck!

*Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageJenBee74:
    Eeeek! Just paged my midwife, waiting for a call back. I've been really thirsty too yesterday and today even though I'm drinking a ton of liquids. Hoping it's nothing, thank you for the replies!

Try not to panic. It IS possible it is nothing to worry about!

Some women develop redness on the palms of the hands (palmar erythema) during pregnancy. Sometimes the red areas are also itchy. Palmar erythema is thought to be caused by increased levels of estrogen during pregnancy. The problem is not serious and usually disappears shortly after delivery.

• imageMotherMayEye:

imagemommajewels87:
    Contact your provider ASAP. I was induced with my 5th LO 2 days after being diagnosed with Cholestasis of Pregnancy, and itchy feet and hands was my initial symptom that prompted a blood test which confirmed the diagnoses.

You beat me to it.

it's very rare and hopefully not cholestasis, but could be. My SIL had it and was induced at 37 weeks.

I also had this and it was PUPPPS. Awful itching everywhere, especially feet and hands. It went away the minute I delivered.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Oh, this has been me for over a week now. My feet itch like crazy ALL THE TIME. I just assumed it had something to do with dry skin and water retention. I just called my doctor's office. Hopefully it's nothing for either of us!!

• Here's a little follow up. I had blood work done today and sure enough it showed a slight elevation in liver enzyme function, not enough for meds or serious concern yet and baby is totally fine. I have a follow up on Monday to retest blood work. I'm curious to those of you who have dealt with this, did your numbers start out low and continue to climb or was yours high from the get go?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageJenBee74:
    Here's a little follow up. I had blood work done today and sure enough it showed a slight elevation in liver enzyme function, not enough for meds or serious concern yet and baby is totally fine. I have a follow up on Monday to retest blood work. I'm curious to those of you who have dealt with this, did your numbers start out low and continue to climb or was yours high from the get go?

I have not dealt with Cholestasis specifically, but I did have elevated liver enzymes immediately following the birth of my son. They just started checking them with this pregnancy (I got a normal result today!) and they will be monitoring them from here on out.

I know I am no help to your question, but I did want to say that I am glad to hear you and your MW are on top of this and that so far, it is not serious. I would think it's possible for your numbers to climb, however, and I assume they will just follow up regularly with liver function tests?

Thanks for posting your update, I was curious.

• imagemommajewels87:

Glad you called. It could just be winter induced dry skin, of course. But the fact you say specifically the soles of your feet and the palms of your hands, it really makes me think Cholestasis.... just because I've personally BTDT. Keep us posted, and goodluck!

the itching in palms/feet can be any liver issue- I had it when I got hep A from contaminated food. Def important to run liver panels ASAP! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"