March 2013 Moms

Anyone still working at 39 weeks?

Disclaimer: I've pretty much just read these boards during the last few weeks. (I tried to stay away prior to that because there's always that story on the internet that scares you into worry). That being said....

is anyone working right up until labor? How are you handling it? I had every intention of doing that (even had a ride lined up if it happened at work) but this week has made me rethink that decision. I am off today because I thought I was leaking amniotic fluid...after talking to the OB office I am okay, but have been bombarded by texts from work. I know I need to draw some clearer boundaries but I'm just curious what others are doing or did this close to the due date.  

Re: Anyone still working at 39 weeks?

• I plan to work right up to labor.  I'm 38 weeks now and I feel fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have my c-section scheduled for 39+1 on a Monday but I will work up until the Friday prior. With my first I went into labor at 40 weeks exactly (on a Tuesday) and I worked up until the Friday prior. I would rather use my PTO after the babies born if I can help it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I had planned to but my body is just screaming at me everyday I work. I'm on my feet all day at work. I've gone down to 5hr days and it helps a little. I've decided to go out at 38 weeks. We really need the money but I just can't do it anymore.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm only 36 weeks, but plan to work right up until labor. With that though it has been very tough and tiring. I have began to dwindle down to part time, going from 5 days to 4days and now 3 days. It's great because its easier on me, and it gave them the opportunity to fill my position in time for my leave  
  • I'm due March 25 (Monday) and plan to work until Thursday 3/21. I sure don't want to, but without a medical reason why I can't (other than being pregnant tired and impatient) I am required to work. I only get 4 weeks paid time off and then am taking an additional 2 weeks unpaid. I would give anything to be off for a week or two prior to DD arrival, but I suppose it is what it is!
    BabyFruit Ticker *Brianna*
  • I will work up until labor. Like others have said, I'd rather use the time off for when LO is here rather than before. I did the same when I was pregnant with DS. Of course I'm tired and achy and would rather stay home but I don't have a medical reason not to continue working so I'll just deal with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • i plan on working until 38 weeks and 6 days if all goes well.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• I'm 37 weeks now and definitely plan to work to the end. I'm tired and achey, but I think I'd feel that way at home too. Plus, I think the days go by faster going to work.

I have a yoga ball I sit on, and that helps. Plus awesome coworkers.

I would really LIKE to go into labor next Thursday, though. :

CageyMack
    37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

• I am delivering by repeat c-section right at 39 weeks.  As of now, I intend to work on day 38 weeks, 6 days.  That being said, I am getting less and less useful at the office, so I may cut out early so as not to waste my employer's time and money.
    *Siggy warning - loss mentioned*
    Preemie ID DDs; then DS; then natural M/C; now due 10/17
    High risk for pre-term: weekly Makena injections
  • I'm in until next Wednesday, my csection is Thursday.

Start making lists of things you do, wrapping up projects, etc. You can do it, you just have to plan.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • With my first I was due on a Sunday and planned to work up till that Friday, but I went into labor Thursday night and didn't make it in for my last day! I felt fine right to the end though and had no reason to leave any sooner. I think if you feel ok doing it, working to the end is nbd.

I do think you should setup whatever you expect boundaries-wise for when you do leave though. I was a teacher so I made sure I had everything wrapped up, graded, in the computer etc each day before I left. And I prepped a few weeks worth of lesson plans for my replacement to get started with once I was gone. But otherwise, I left him in the hands of my colleagues, put up an auto-reply email message, and didn't look back! If you don't want to be bothered, make sure they know that!

• I am still working my 2 jobs. I have a full time job and I picked up a part time job over a year ago to save up for our honeymoon cruise in Rome.  I kept the job because then we wanted to see a Crimson Tide game in November and then kept it just to bank money for mat leave..... so, the plan is to stop the part time job at 38 weeks and my full time job within my 39 week. I will be taking 3 vacation days before I am due. I want to work as close to the due date as possible.
  • I'm 38 weeks, 1 day, and I plan to work until it's time to go to the hospital.  I am saving all my days that I can until after sweet P gets here. It sucks though. I am thoroughly exhausted!
  • I'm working until I have the baby.  I want to save my maternity leave for when he arrives.

I even got special permission to go to work while on bed rest, because my chair reclines and I can put my feet up.  I'm only allowed to get up to use the bathroom.

• I am at 36 weeks now and I am sitting at my desk with my feet all propped up. I really wanted to save as much time as possible for after the LO is here. 

I feel fine except for my overly swollen feet and sciatica pain. 

• imagemcooper014:
    I plan to work right up to labor.  I'm 38 weeks now and I feel fine.

Same here. But I only work about twenty-five hours a week. 

Charlotte March 2009 Gwyneth June 2011 Team Green March 2013
  • My leave starts at 39 weeks, 5 days or whenever the baby comes.  I have some sick time I could use towards the end if I'm super uncomfortable.  As of right now (35 weeks) I'm pretty comfortable and I worked up until 39 weeks with DS and as fine.  Uncomfortable, but fine.

• Also working as long as possible to save my time off for LO but man oh man it's a struggle to get through the day.  I am only 33 weeks today and having a c/s at 37.  If I am struggling this much now I fear what I'll be like at 35 and 36 weeks.  : ) 
  • Yes, working up until labor. I work remote if I am not traveling so its mostly on the computer in my house as I stopped traveling a couple weeks ago.
  • imageMSW_721:
    I will work up until labor. Like others have said, I'd rather use the time off for when LO is here rather than before. Of course I'm tired and achy and would rather stay home but I don't have a medical reason not to continue working so I'll just deal with it.

this, I would lose my mind at home right now.   

IAmPregnant Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm the director of a daycare and plan to work until she comes.. And will probably do some work before I go back to work at 6 weeks.. If I stayed home I think the waiting would drive me crazy..

I have a Daughter born 2/26/2013. She is pretty much amazing!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I think that it really depends on the type of work you do, and how your body handles it. I work 12 hour shifts in a busy ER, and a lot of my co-workers worked right up until they went into labor, but plenty others just could not. My plan was to work until the bitter end but my body had other plans (PIH, off at 37w4d). I feel SOOOOO much better being off of work, but I do wish I were able to still. It definitely makes the time go by faster, and I loved the contractions it gave me! Plus, it feels like a waste to use up FMLA before LO arrives. Still, a healthy baby with a healthy L & D are priority.
  • Yes - I sit most of the day and am planning to work until the Friday right before my due date.
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • I work for a small employer that is so small we are exempt from all the FMLA rules.  With DS I worked right up til I was in labor (worked a 10hr day that day & was 2 days past due date).  I returned to work 3 days after DS was born.  I did breastfeed, so thankfully my job is close to home and I had flexible hours.  My mom & DH stayed with DS while I was at work.  Plan on doing the same with this baby, even bringing them with me to office if needed.  I work with a bunch of men, no women, so am hoping I don't go into labor AT work!  LOL!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Still working but cut back on hours during the day it has helped a ton. I was having major swelling and contractions throughout the day and realized that I needed to cut back and not overdo it. I am just thankful my boss was understanding! But I plan to work until I have this little one!
  • imageMSW_721:
    I will work up until labor. Like others have said, I'd rather use the time off for when LO is here rather than before. I did the same when I was pregnant with DS. Of course I'm tired and achy and would rather stay home but I don't have a medical reason not to continue working so I'll just deal with it.

This. I'm 37.5 weeks, and it sucks working still but I want to save my time for after LO is here. I'll work until labor or until I just absolutely can't handle it anymore.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I'm 36 weeks pregnant and plan on working right until he is born.  I don't want to waste my days at home without a baby.  I'd rather save them for when he arrives.
  • I will be working straight up to labor.  My office is in the building right next door to labor and delivery, so there is a chance I will be literally working right until I go into labor!  I have adjusted my work schedule to 4 ten hour days (if I was here 5 I'd just work ten hours 5 days a week), so even though that is technically full time it seems like time off to me.  Luckily, my job doesn't involve too much on my feet work, and I have my own office and can put my feet up and lie down as necessary.  Hopefully that will keep me at work until the kid arrives, so I can save my days for recovery and bonding.
    Geeky is as Geeky Does... BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think it all depends on your job. I'm a first grade teacher with 23 needy kiddos and it is killing me. I planned to work until my due date, but now I just think that is crazy. My dr says I can't start my leave until 38 weeks w/o a true medical reason. So now I'm trying to decide if I should work one more week or work until my 39th week. I also have to come home and write papers to keep my certificate, so I am just mentally and physically exhausted.  Do what feels best to you.
  • Today was my last day. I work in a small medical practice and needed to have my replacement ready. Due date Monday!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • im working right up until labor, im 38 weeks. its getting kind of tough though because i work 12 hour shifts and sleep is ever elusive these days.

i had to call out for tonight because ive been having contractions all day :/ its annoying though because i dont think im going into labor, they are super inconsistent but theres no way i could bear to work through them all night seeing as how i cant always just step away and take a break if i feel i need one suddenly.

hopefully ill make till labor! haha 

• imagelifewrite:
    I had planned to but my body is just screaming at me everyday I work. I'm on my feet all day at work. I've gone down to 5hr days and it helps a little. I've decided to go out at 38 weeks. We really need the money but I just can't do it anymore.

I walked around target for an hour, by the time I was done shopping I felt like my back was on fire and my lady parts were about to break off. That being said if I had a job I had to stand or walk all day, there is NO WAY I'd work tell my due date. I totally understand! Being a school bus driver I sit the whole time, I am working until 3 days before my c-section at 40 weeks. I feel fine otherwise. Ready to not be pregnant but that's so very normal at this point.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was going to work right up until I had him but with how demanding my job has gotten on my body and how many false alarms we've had lately I decided to start my leave on March 4th at 39 weeks... I only get 6 weeks off unless the Dr approves more, which I'm sure he'll do, but we made the decision that for us this was best! in the end You just have to do what's right for you and your body/baby!!
  • My original plan was to work up until delivery. Then I found out DCP is closing the Friday before my due date, so I asked for the Wednesday before due date to be my last day, "so I don't risk going into labor in my classroom." School is fine with that and I have more than enough sick days to cover any possible Dr's note I'll get for maternity leave anyway.

Just this weekend, I've been having a LOT of pain walking, but I have a bunch of plans for the next 8 school days to wrap everything up, so I'm going to try my best to stick it out. If this gets much worse, I don't know what I'll do. Never experienced this with DS1.

• I had PTL at 35 weeks, so my dr didn't want me commuting anymore. Even though work is only 15 miles fom the hospital, it would be a minimum of an hour in traffic. My house is 5 minutes from the hospital. My boss is awesome, so I'm working fom home. Luckily, my staff is awesome, too, so I know I can trust them not to take advantage. 
  • With my first I worked until the very end and plan on doing it this time as well. With my first I was working for a much bigger firm and wanted to save all of my time off to enjoy her. My water broke on a Sunday right after I had gotten all my bags ready for work the next day and I was climbing into bed.

This time around I work for my family's firm so I can pretty much stop working whenever I feel like it (or so I've been told lol), but being a CPA and having this baby in the middle of busy season I feel a responsibility to my family and to my clients to work until I can't any longer.

Mr.&Mrs. Ash&Vic Est.1.21.2006 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had planned to work until 39 weeks 5 days but this week at 38 weeks 5 days I called it quits. 18 second graders were just killing me. I was up/down all the time and it really got to be just too exhausting. I really wanted to make it but when I nearly passed out this week I realized that there is no medal for this and I need to take care of me which in turn takes care of LO. Big Smile
  • I'm 36w1d today and plan on working until 39 weeks.

BabyFruit Ticker

Favorite Teen Crush: Zach Morris

My special Little Lady
  • I've had the same problem. I'm doing more work now than I was a month ago and no one seems to understand that I'm exhausted and ready to start scaling back. My husband has made me promise to go part time after this week, but I have a very difficult time saying no to work and I have a feeling part time will really be an hour less a day. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"