Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Tongue Tie

DD has a tongue tie but has had no trouble latching on/eating ever.  So up until now it hasn't really been an issue.  However, now that she is about 5 mos., it has been recommended to us that she have it clipped so that it doesn't cause speech problems later on. 

I know that a lot of times this procedure is done when babies are only a few days/weeks old.   Does anyone have any experience with this procedure in general or with having it done on a 5 mo old?  I have a feeling it will be more traumatic for me that for DD!  I would love to know what your experience was like.  

Re: Tongue Tie

• Options
    It takes a minute..drop of blood..and worth it as it not doing it can cause speech problems. Someone will have to hold lo on lap as it gets done
  • Options
    DS was snipped when he was a week old so not the same thing but he didn't even cry. So I wouldn't worry about it being traumatic
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have to disagree with previous posters...My LO was tongue tied and had it clipped at 2 wks and it was no big deal. however, he also has a lip tie which was not clipped. We had him evaluated by an ENT at 3 months, and we were told at that point, it would be much more of a procedure to have it done--it would require a numbing agent on his gums and potentially a shot of anesthesia in his gum. It would hurt and he could be fussy for a few days.As a lip tie doesn't affect speech or tooth spacing, and it wasn't affecting nursing that badly, we didn't get it done.

I would 100% still get it done in your case, but it's important to know what it would be like. have you met with an ENT yet? They'll be able to give you the best idea of what the procedure/recovery would be like. 

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • Options

we have tongue tie at our house that didn't allow for latching, but were told it isn't going to effect her speech. (She's doing sounds/consonants/raspberries just fine).

if your LO is latching why do they think there will be a speach issue later? i'd get a second opinion just to be sure.  i'm all for doing the procedure if its neccessary, but why if you don't have to?

oh and according to our LC who told us DD is TT, DH and i are as well and we don't have any speech issues ourselves.  both of us developed just fine with it,

10/15/10 HPT+ 10/16/10 +blood test! missed m/c found at 17w, gone at aprox 14w., D&C
    4/26/11 HPT+ 4/28/11 +Blood test! HCG 67 5/24/11 Blighted Ovum.
    6/11-11/11 Non ovulatory cycles
    12/18/11 HPT+ 12/20/11 +Blood Test HCG 165 12/27/11 Beta test HCG 6411
    12/29/11 Beta 11264 1/30/11 Wiggler w/ HB 160+
    Grow Baby Grow!!!! Please be our rainbow!
    Rainbow Born 8/22, so in love with our little girl!
    Valentines
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker</a
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"