Babies on the Brain

Need help managing baby fever...can't TTC for another year!

My husband and I are both 30 and we are ready for babies, but there are a number of reasons why we have to wait.  He is finishing up his degree (was in the Navy), my little sis is getting married in October, we want to move back East immediately after he graduates next June (2014), and we will be changing health insurance, etc.  

If anyone has any good ideas of how to get through the next year and ENJOY it, please let me know!   I am already reading baby books...probably not a good idea, but I figured that way when I'm pregnant I can read the books on raising babies, toddlers, etc.  Good or bad idea?  I can't help myself. 

Also,  I am a chef and we are thinking of TTC a couple months before we move next June.  I am really worried about the smells of food cooking getting to me.  Is it so bad that I will be puking every 5 minutes or is the nausea manageable? Any tips or advice is welcome!  Thanks! 

Me & DH: 34 - Married 2011
DS: 10-9-14
MC: 9-4-16

Re: Need help managing baby fever...can't TTC for another year!

• We have 2, but will be trying for a third this summer. It's hard for me to be waiting also.  One thing that I'm doing is charting my cycles so that when it is time to TTC, I'll have a good idea of the right times to try.  I've done this since we conceived our first and it's worked very well for me. I get a secret little thrill each month when I predict the exact day my period will arrive based upon tracking my cycle! (nerd, right) 

As far as smells, each woman and pregnancy can be different. Unfortunately, you won't know until you are there yourself.  

• Thanks for the advice!  Charting won't work if I'm on BC right?

• Loading the player...
  • Get a hobby and stay away from boards like this one.
    imageimage
    7,065/13,000=54.3%
    Started TTC in June 2008. Not bothering any more.

Bonafide thread killah
  • imagebwo:
    Thanks for the advice!  Charting won't work if I'm on BC right?

Correct.  Once you get off of BC, then start charting.

For now, get off the bump and enjoy time before kids.  

• My sister (who has two kids under 2) told me to make a list of all the things I wanted to do that would be difficult to do with a baby. I included things I currently do that I really enjoy (like sleeping in on weekends, sleep in general, etc.) and am just trying to really appreciate those things until we start trying.

Obviously we can still do these things with kids, it's just a little more difficult when you are responsible for another human being.

The grass is always greener, so just enjoy what you have now!

Married 5.15.2010
  • As far as smells...everyone is different...most food smells didn't really bother me with my first LO.  But I would feel sick if I walked past someones office who had just used whiteout! Any kind of chemicals I know your are not suppose to be hanging out with chemicals but if I was in a resturant and the waitress was cleaning a table with some solution I could smell it from across the room, or at the school where I work If I walked past a custodian who had just cleaned I could smell it and it really bothered me.

I agree though get off these boards and find something to do!  Get in shape if you need to think of it as preparing a healthy home for the LO to give you motivation if you don't like to workout.  Super important to be healthy.   Clean your house if you need to. Go out with girlfriends now and enjoy your free time. Go to a spa! Get a second job and start a college fund or family vacation fund!

Good Luck! 

Me - 39 DH - 39 DS - 1 Due Date - 10-20-13
  • Ditto PPs-- stay off the bumpSmile

I can't even begin to tell you how much my life has changed in the past year since I became a mom.  Take the advice to heart to enjoy the last year or so of "alone" time with your DH.  Hang out with your friends, sleep until 11 on the weekends, go shopping by yourself etc.

My daughter is the best thing that has ever happened to me, but I am still having trouble adjusting to my "new normal".  

As far as the nausea goes, I personally had not one minute of it.  Out of my friends and family members who have been pregnant, I will say it's about 70-30 (70% not having any nausea or very little, the latter % having moderate nausea).  I don't personally know any one that "puked every 5 minutes", but it's one of those things that you wont know until you are there.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• imagebiomaj5:
    Get a hobby and stay away from boards like this one.

Might help to try the BNOTB on the nest. 

m/c 2013
  • I know it's easier said than done, but just ENJOY doing all of the things that will be more difficult (or impossible) to do after you have a baby. Spend a few hours window shopping at the mall. Go to a nice restaurant where dinner lasts for more than an hour with your husband. Go to the movies. Sleep in. Take naps. Get a pedicure. Do your hair. Plan a last minute road trip.

I love my son more than I love my own life, but I realize that I should've been more appreciative of being able to say to my husband, "Hey, there's a movie that I want to see that's playing in the theater in half an hour. Wanna go?" 

As for the nausea - what you see on TV and in the movies is usually a "worst case scenario" kind of thing. During my first trimester, I felt like I was going to throw up unless I ate every hour, but I never actually threw up, and the only smell that bothered me was laundry detergent. I have one friend who ended up in the hospital from dehydration due to vomiting while she was pregnant, but all of my other friends either threw up only a few times or not at all. Don't get me wrong, there's a good chance you'll feel pretty crappy at times, but you probably won't need to quit your job because of the smells.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi there!

I know the feeling... My husband and I are waiting until December to try and conceive and we decided that last year. The wait has been killer and still is. It doesn't help that everyone around me is pregnant as well as my older sister! She's due any day now! What I do is just talk openly about my hubby with it. I'm a planner by nature. We've talked about baby names and how we'd decorate the nursery, ect... That way, I'm getting my fill of baby fever by talking about it with him. It does help, because it gets me excited knowing how open he is talking about it. It just brings us closer I think. Smile 9 months to go!!

Also, the others are right. Really enjoy this time you have with your hubby right now. It won't be the same after kids. I like the fact that we are getting to be selfish because once a kid comes that's not really the way it goes anymore. Enjoy your time and do things that will be more difficult to do once a baby comes along! 

• Thank you all for the positive feedback. I relate to you, ctinaditty, in that I am a planner by nature, so part of the fun is the anticipation.  Also, my husband and I talk about it almost every day, so that does help.  At the beginning of the year we did the list of things to do our last year of being baby-free.. That has helped...but sometimes the grass is simply greener.  We are 30 yrs. old and have been together for 5 1/2 yrs. so we have gone to plenty of movies, taken LOTS of spontaneous road trips, lived overseas, etc.   We have "lived on the edge" plenty, so now I feel like that is contributing to our need to settle down a bit more and put some roots down in one place and start a family.  It's also hard because we are the kind of people that would rather stay home to watch a movie than go out, would rather have a bottle of wine at home than go to a restaurant, and still wake up at 8 a.m. on the weekends, whether we want to or not, ha ha.  We are just READY!

I will try to stay off the bump, though, because I do agree it only makes the baby fever worse! ha ha.

Thanks again,

BWO 

• Thank you all for the positive feedback. I relate to you, ctinaditty, in that I am a planner by nature, so part of the fun is the anticipation.  Also, my husband and I talk about it almost every day, so that does help.  At the beginning of the year we did the list of things to do our last year of being baby-free.. That has helped...but sometimes the grass is simply greener.  We are 30 yrs. old and have been together for 5 1/2 yrs. so we have gone to plenty of movies, taken LOTS of spontaneous road trips, lived overseas, etc.   We have "lived on the edge" plenty, so now I feel like that is contributing to our need to settle down a bit more and put some roots down in one place and start a family.  It's also hard because we are the kind of people that would rather stay home to watch a movie than go out, would rather have a bottle of wine at home than go to a restaurant, and still wake up at 8 a.m. on the weekends, whether we want to or not, ha ha.  We are just READY!

I will try to stay off the bump, though, because I do agree it only makes the baby fever worse! ha ha.

Thanks again,

BWO 

• Maybe you can put your time into helping your sister with the wedding or plan your DH an awesome graduation party.  I find that putting your time and efforts into other areas of your life helps.  I guess Im pretty much saying focus on everything but babies lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"