March 2013 Moms

success of vaginal birth after induction?

Hello Ladies! I am due to be induced at 39 weeks because of high blood pressure.  At my last appointment my dr said that my cervix was still closed.  My question is what are the chances of having a c-section after being induced? I've heard that pitocin increases the strength of contractions and puts stress on the baby which can cause you to have to have a c-section. I've also heard labor is much longer when you are induced compared to when it comes naturally...any advice would be great! I'm a FTM and have no idea what to except and I am a little scared. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: success of vaginal birth after induction?

• With my first I was induced just shy of 42 weeks. After 22 hours of labor I had a sucessfull vaginal delivery, It was more intense from what been told of going in naturally just because they come on all of a sudden, and for being a FTM labor usually last longer so I dont know if being induced actually makes it take longer. Im also starting to get scared since I dont know what to expect going into natural labor, and as long as you progress either from being induced or natural you shouldnt need a c section.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • 30-40% of inductions end in cesarean according to general statistics. But, the odds are still in your favor, with a 60-70% success rate.

Not sure what your restrictions are with high blood pressure, but there are some things you can do to help soften/prepare the cervix to up your chances. Sex is great, because sperm can help soften the cervix. You can also try evening primrose oil to soften the cervix. Walking/being on your feet as much as possible to encourage LO to drop and put pressure on your cervix can encourage dilation, etc. Good luck!

DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Our lamaze instructor told us about the Bishop score, which you can look up a calculator online if you want to see.  Basically it will tell you the likelihood of a vaginal delivery based on your stats to start with... so at your appointment before the induction they can tell you your dialation, cervix placement, effacement, etc to give you a better idea.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • with my 1st I was induced with gels and not pitocin, and ended with a pain med free vaginal delivery. I guess with gels your body will only proceed if it is ready and is not forced like pitocin. It was painful and long but I beleive you can get though any amount of pain if you know its going to be temporary. Good Luck and don't listen to anyones freaky stories, what happens to you will happen to you!
  • Look up your Bishop score- that will give you the best indicator. Here is a link of a way to calculate your Bishop score- studies have shown if your score is over a 9 you have a very very good chance of having a successful induction. I will say that this is not the end all be all though- you could have a lower bishop score but still have a successful induction. Have you talked with your dr about their protocols for induction? Do they start with something like cervadil or do they go straight to pitocin? How quickly do they increase the pitocin? etc. These are some things that you have control over that could help you have the best chance at a successful induction. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_score

https://www.ehow.com/how_6749152_calculate-bishop-score.html 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My friend had two inductions that started with her cervix still closed and she had two vaginal deliveries. Both titered right on the edge though, and both were long processes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • With my last they rushed me over to the hospital to be induced due to high blood pressure. They started me off with sp? but had to turn it off because it kept making me pass out. My labor continued, however, and I had him vaginally that night anyway. They considered it a failed induction. I have never had any signs, dilated, effaced, water break, lost mucus plug, etc. before actually being in labor and delivered vaginally both times. Both my labors, however, have been 1824 hours of active in the hospital labor. Not sure if that's helpful Info because my induction failed...
  • I had a bishop score of 3 and had a successful vaginal delivery with my first.  However, after being on pitocin for 10 hours and not progressing, my doctor stopped the induction for the night to let me eat, relax and sleep.  I was also given nubane (or however it is spelled).

That night I went in to labor "on my own" and in three hours progressed to five cm.  The doctors were very patient and even when I reached 10 cm I didn't start pushing as they wanted to give DD more of a chance to drop.

I wound up only pushing for 45 minutes and had no issues whatsoever.

I'd recommend talking to your doctor about what they do if you don't progress on the drugs.  I didn't have high blood pressure so I don't know if they would allow as much time if there is that type of underlying issue present.   

• With DS1 I was induced at 36 weeks and had made no process prior. I did have a long [18 hours] labor but it was uneventful and successful.

My sister went into labor on her on just days before her due date and ended up needing a section.

When it comes to having a baby, it's best to be prepared for anything and everything but inductions aren't automatic sentences to sections.

• imagesdemilio1231:
    Hello Ladies! I am due to be induced at 39 weeks because of high blood pressure.  At my last appointment my dr said that my cervix was still closed.  My question is what are the chances of having a c-section after being induced? I've heard that pitocin increases the strength of contractions and puts stress on the baby which can cause you to have to have a c-section. I've also heard labor is much longer when you are induced compared to when it comes naturally...any advice would be great! I'm a FTM and have no idea what to except and I am a little scared. 

I was induced with my first due to high blood pressure. I was not dilated. I only remember them saying that I was "high and tight." My induction started at 7am and she was born at 1:04pm and I delivered her vaginally. 

Charlotte March 2009 Gwyneth June 2011 Team Green March 2013
  • I was induced with my first due to pre e and after 22 hrs of labor delivered him vaginally. My induction is tomorrow, again because of pre e, and they see no reason that I won't deliver vaginally this time. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"