Babies on the Brain

Jaundice Disease

My nephew was born on the 15th and has been in the NICU because of Jaundice, my SIL is all over the place with this and I tried to do some research with it. Is this something that can become a really BIG problem for him? I am praying that he gets better soon but I have actually never heard of this until now.
Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Trying to Conceive Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Jaundice Disease

• If he's eating, pooping and under lights, his levels should be back to normal in a few days. C was under the lights for 3 or 4 days after he was born.

If its being treated then its not a big deal. Just seems scarier than it is.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Jaundice is actually fairly common (I believe 1 in 2 babies). I had jaundice as a premie due to breastfeeding. I had to stay in the hospital for a week while my mom was discharged (this was almost 30 years ago). This link has some good info https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002526/. (Sorry, I can't never get the buttons to work or else I'd make it clicky.)

Treatment for jaundice (if needed) is light therapy, and there are serious complications that can happen with jaundice but those are very, very rare. 

Speedy recovery to the little one :) 

• Loading the player...
  • imagegogadgetgo:
    If he's eating, pooping and under lights, his levels should be back to normal in a few days. C was under the lights for 3 or 4 days after he was born. If its being treated then its not a big deal. Just seems scarier than it is.

This. We were even sent home with a treatment device so we could do her phototherapy at home and she wouldn't need to stay admitted. It can be scary but jaundice is common.  

• Ditto the other ladies. It's very common and if treated is not a big deal. It's caused by elevated levels of billirubin (sp?) and often resolves once they are eating well and passing all the meconium. Sometime they need some light therapy to help bring the levels down.

DD1 had a bit of jaundice when she was a few days old and we were still getting feeding figured out, but it wasn't enough to warrant the light treatment and worked itself out once she was eating well. My nephew was in the NICU for a few days due to jaundice, and after some time with the billi lights he was good to go.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was born premie and had jaundice as well...I'm okay now and had a normal childhood as well. Hopefully they can get your nephew through this and it won't be a big deal.

**Siggy/Ticker Warning**   

TTC #1 since May 2012

May 2013: First R.E. appointment

DH: SA is good

May 2013: CD3 Blood work-normal
               June 2013: Hsg-Right tube blocked

July 26, 2013: Starting Follistim for IVF #1

August 2013: IVF #1 Cancelled- Abnormal embryos

October/November 2013: IVF #2 w/ICSI

November 8, 2013: Transferred two early blasts (no frosties) 

November 18, 2013: First EVER BFP! 

Beta#1: 91  Beta#2: 288

1st U/S- 5w2d Saw yolk sac!

3rd U/S- 7w4d HB of 157bpm!

TEAM BLUE!

http://movingtolight.blogspot.com/

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Thanks girls :) Hoping to hear from my SIL soon about how he's doing.
    Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Trying to Conceive Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • All 4 of my kiddos had jaundice and three of them spent varying times in the NICU for light therapy.  It is pretty common and nothing to get too worked up about.  There are very, very rare cases where it can become serious, but again, very rare.  Its very mentally draining on the mom though, as you absolutely have to feed the baby every 2 hrs like clockwork, there is no wiggle room on this at all. 

A few friends brought meals for our family during this time and it was SO nice and very much appreciated.

Married to DH since April '99 Mom to 4 kiddos! TTC #5 !! image
  • Very sweet of you to be so concerned. Like pps I had a jaundiced baby too. We actually ended up taking a lamp home.
    Give her a big hug. If she's anything like me, she's worried sick and misses the baby like crazy since you only get to hold him while nursing then it's back under the lamp he goes.

I think ds levels finally went down when he was 6 days old.
  • I had jaundice when I was born and i'm perfectly healthy at the ripe ol age of 29! No problems ever other than an overnight stay in the NICU my mom said.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"