2nd Trimester

If you had an elective ultrasound...

If you've had an elective ultrasound (mainly to determine gender), when did you have it done? I've scheduled mine for Monday, I'll be 15 w,1 d (ticker isn't updated). I KNOW that they aren't 100% accurate at this point, but I'm just wondering when you had yours and if you're further along did they confirm it at anatomy scan. Our tech at the NT scan said boy but it was totally a guess so I'm curious to see what this one says :) 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If you had an elective ultrasound...

• The place I went claims 99 percent accuracy at 14w and on. I went at 14w5d and it did seen pretty obvious boy but we're not buying or painting walls until ou anatomy scan which is in 2 weeks. Like I said I'm pretty convinced and agree with my elective scan but will let everyone know the verdict from my next scan
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Jackson was born 8/11/2013 3:53 am 6 lbs 12 oz
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was actually patient and waited until my anatomy scan BUT baby didn't cooperate! So we are considering going to an elective place.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would not do it at 15 weeks. I had mine at 18 weeks, confirmed the sex of the baby at the 20-weelk u/s
  • I went at 17w they only do gender guesses 16w and on and tech was able to say "100 sure" on a boy we saw the frank AND the beans..
    Love: 08/04/2006
    Marriage: 10/02/2010
      Computer Hope
    Baby Carriage: 
    BFP#1 : 03.2012........MMC + D&C : 05.2012
    BFP#2 : 11.12.2012..........Born 07.17.2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Buggy List blog
  • Our doctor didn't schedule ours until 20 weeks. Not sure why. Hopefully you can tell!
    imageimage
    Anniversary

• I had my anatomy scan done at 21 weeks (had to wait an extra week for insurance reasons and what a tough wait that was!) and it was quite clear my baby is a girl. But I think most people have their first u/s by this time. In a way, though, I'm kind of glad I waited because she was further developed and was already starting to look like an infant. :) In my below picture, she's got her hand on her forehead and she looks like she's smiling. I love it! Me and DH laugh all the time. Hopefully, it's contagious. :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I had mine done at 15w 5/6 days I think. They gave the disclaimer that they may not be able to determine, but they said usually it can be determined as early as 15 weeks. The nurse said that because I was so thin, they had no concerns about being able to determine and when they told us the gender I asked multiple times if there was no way we could go to the a/s and be given a different answer. She assured me since I was so thin and it was very easy to see the baby that they were confident in their determination. She then showed me a side by side of a baby boy and girl so I could see what they both looks like so I could know that what they told me was also right. We have our a/s tomorrow at 1, so I'm not expecting any different answer. I'll be shocked if it comes back and it's different. and so will everyone else we've told.
    Lisa 

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The place I went claims to be able to tell gender at 14 weeks. I went at 14 weeks 5 days and the tech said boy and printed out some photos that showed boy parts very clearly.

At my anatomy scan around 20/21 weeks the tech said he was still a boy.

• The place I went to could do it as early as 15 weeks, they were pretty confident, if they got the gender wrong they would pay me 200 dollars.  So far though it looks like they got it right, I was confirmed a boy at my 20 week ultrasound.
    Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker image image
  • I don't think the result will be unreliable, but it happens quite often that they just can't see it at 15-16 weeks.
  • 15 weeks is a bit early, and it is still a guess in my opinion at that point.  I did an elective u/s at almost 17 weeks, when I felt a bit more confident they would be more accurate.  My 21 week u/s confirmed what the elective showed.
  • We waited until our A/S, but the tech couldn't be sure of the gender.  So now we're going to do an elective ultrasound today (hope this baby is cooperative!) and hopefully will find out.

TTC starting November 2010  HSG clear, DH SA #1- Slightly low count & motility SA#2-normal
    Lap&Dye/Hysterscopy Feb 2012: Endo stage 2
    April - June 2012: Femera 5 mg & 3 IUIs = All BFN    July/August 2012: IVF #1 = C/P
    September/October 2012: IVF #2 BFP! Beta 1= 223 Beta 2 = 480 Beta 3 = 11,440
    My beautiful daughter was born June 21, 2013
    TTC #2 naturally, no luck
    IVF #3 April 2015: BFN
    IVF #4 July 2015: BFP! Beta 1 9dp5dt = 409, Beta 2 13dp5dt = 1743

• We had an elective at 15w2d because my a/s won't be until 21 weeks and I'm impatient :)

I have to say, the tech that did mine was *fantastic*. She was as actual u/s tech prior to going to work there, and she pointed out a lot of things along the way I wouldn't have expected at an elective, like showing us the kidneys, stomach, etc. 

As far as the gender goes, she said she is never wrong because she won't guess, she'll keep bringing you back to be scanned until she KNOWS. Luckily it was obvious on ours, no question he's a boy. She checked from every possible angle(multiple times during the 45 minute scan), and the parts were clearly visible, including a shot that shows both the penis and the umbilical cord from the profile. 

I don't know if our experience was typical or not, but I am 100% certain she was correct. 

Due with #5 April 22, 2015. It's a girl!!!!! 

Yes it was planned, yes we know what causes that, no we are not on public assistance, and yes we will be getting cable after this. ;)

• I had an "early gender determination' U/S at an elective place and it didn't take her long at all to see the boy part and I am pretty thick  Wink  We didn't see the testicles though? But they guarantee if they are wrong, we could bring in the birth certificate and get a full refund.  I have my A/S in 2 weeks so I will know March 8th if she also says boy
    Cheryl (26) Andy (25) Married 1 year as of 8-17-13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• 15w3d.  It was pretty obvious that it was a boy.

image imageimage

Always in my heart: BFP 9/6/12 - M/C 9/25/12
  • I had my elective at 17 weeks. Our little boy was SO stubborn and didn't uncross his legs or show us his goods from an hr and 1/2!! He flashed us for a quick second, and the tech guessed boy, but had us come back at 18 weeks to confirm (for free) and this time he bared all!  Also had the confirmation again at the 20 week scan.
  • I was 16 weeks and 2 days and they where correct. They just re confirmed it two weeks ago at 20  weeks that he is still a boy.
  • Mine was 18.5 weeks. I would wait until at least 16-17 weeks cause otherwise they might say well maybe a.... and if your paying for it, I would think you would want them to be right for sure.
  • imageScarletOflaherty:

I have to say, the tech that did mine was *fantastic*. She was as actual u/s tech prior to going to work there, and she pointed out a lot of things along the way I wouldn't have expected at an elective, like showing us the kidneys, stomach, etc. 

As far as the gender goes, she said she is never wrong because she won't guess, she'll keep bringing you back to be scanned until she KNOWS. Luckily it was obvious on ours, no question he's a boy. She checked from every possible angle(multiple times during the 45 minute scan), and the parts were clearly visible, including a shot that shows both the penis and the umbilical cord from the profile. 

I don't know if our experience was typical or not, but I am 100% certain she was correct. 

This was our experience as well, at 15w1d.
    Both conceived using 7.5 mg Femara+Ovidrel+IUI

• We had ours at 16w exactly.  The place we went to won't do them before then.  They said girl and they were correct (confirmed at our a/s).  They also will refund your money if they are wrong, with the birth certificate as proof lol.
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We did an elective at a pregnancy "spa". It had a big screen tv, leather couches for as many people you wanted and people could live stream in. We didnt do that. I was 15w and they spent about 20 minutes just letting us marvel. It cost us 100 and she was def a girl. I have never seen it more clearly. They really tried to push us to do a 3D scan of her but we refused. No fat on them make them just look alien. However if baby doesn't cooperate they always allow you to come back for a redo. We will prob go back at 30w for a 3D. I will say my Dr office was not happy that we went. Places like that are not medical. What if what if... We knew going in that it was for pure entertainment.
  • I was 16w 2d, and the tech was 85% sure.
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• We found out DS1 was a boy at a regular scheduled appt at 15w0d, which was later confirmed at our previously scheduled elective scan at 16w.

DS2 we had an elective scan around 15w5d

No doubt either was a boy. 

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • Thanks for all of the responses! We are both impatient and the place we chose is having a special right now so we decided to go ahead and do it. But after reading everything from you ladies I think I'm going to call back and reschedule it for a week later. That way I'll be 16 weeks...so hopefully it's more accurate and I still won't have to wait until 20 wks for the a/s :)  
  • I had an elective ultrasound at 15w2d, everyone said i was crazy. but the tech was positive. and my doctor told me at my appointment a week later that if they said it was a girl, i could bank on it. so im confident! I go for my next ultrasound on the 25th, and another on the 11th, so ill be 100% positive then ,but im so sure ive already started my nursery :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"