1st Trimester

Talk to me about zofran

I am so miserable from the all day nausea. I am able to eat here and there and I am keeping liquids down without issue. I just feel sick all day long. Does zofran help with nausea or is it just intended to curb vomiting?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Talk to me about zofran

• Zofran takes the nausea and vomiting from me completely and really, it's a case by case basis. It does constipate you horrendously, so having a way to combat that should you go with the script is recommended. Worst that happens if you try it, is that it doesn't work but never know until you try. I recommend it based off personal experience and it doesn't knock you on your hiney like phenergan.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's a day to day thing for me.  Yesterday, it only stopped the vomiting, but the nausea was still an issue.  Today, it stopped the vomiting and nausea; other than exhaustion, I don't feel too terrible.  I totally agree that the constipation is awful and you have to take some measures (increasing h2o, fruits and veggies, colace, whatever works for you).  That being said, it's saved me a ton of sick days because I can actually make it to work and take care of my kids. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • ZofrAn saved my life with my 1st baby!! I haven't had any nausea with this baby yet but with my 1st preg it hit me all day everyday. Zofran was the only thing that made it go away completely.
    **Freddy** BabyFetus Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I just left my appt and my doctor suggested trying B6 and unisom. She said if neither of those help the nausea then she would perscribe zofran.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• To each his own I guess, but I just got the Zofran (generic) yesterday and I was actually able to function.  I've felt sick to my stomach all day, seems like everyday for about a week and I just couldn't take anymore.  Dr. gave me 30 pills (lasts 12 hours each) and that should put me into my 2nd semester...as I like to call it (trimester).  I've not thrown up yet either but I thought I'd give it a shot and I can't tell you how tremendously it has helped me just function in general.  And my husband appreciates it too as I'm not in tears all the time anymore with the frustration of feeling so sick all the time.  Dr. also said hydration is an issue when you're sick like that too...my bp was 90 over 58 yesterday and I was about 5 minutes from getting iv fluids stuck in me so get some pills and drink drink drink!!  Hope you get to feeling better but it's worth a try for the zofran.  And it's affordable. 
  • imagelisaheaster:
    To each his own I guess, but I just got the Zofran (generic) yesterday and I was actually able to function.  I've felt sick to my stomach all day, seems like everyday for about a week and I just couldn't take anymore.  Dr. gave me 30 pills (lasts 12 hours each) and that should put me into my 2nd semester...as I like to call it (trimester).  I've not thrown up yet either but I thought I'd give it a shot and I can't tell you how tremendously it has helped me just function in general.  And my husband appreciates it too as I'm not in tears all the time anymore with the frustration of feeling so sick all the time.  Dr. also said hydration is an issue when you're sick like that too...my bp was 90 over 58 yesterday and I was about 5 minutes from getting iv fluids stuck in me so get some pills and drink drink drink!!  Hope you get to feeling better but it's worth a try for the zofran.  And it's affordable. 

My insurance doesn't cover it, so I have to call and see how much it is. I've heard horror stories about the cost. I am going to try some Unisom first, but I've been on B6 for something else since the beginning, so I'm not sure whether it will help or not.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It can be a double edged sword. It has always worked great for me for surgeries and my last pregnancy, but then it is incredibly constipating, which made me even more nauseated. I felt like I couldn't win.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • imagelisaheaster:
    And it's affordable. 

TBH, with my first, I was not insured at the time I got pregnant.  They prescribed it for me and when I went to pick it up at the pharmacy, even the generic was $385, so I decided to go without.  Under my insurance now, it's $8.  

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • it has saved my beehind thats for sure. I was one of those girls on here saying, " oh no symptoms yet ..hmmm with i had some" ya I should have shut it haha. I haven't had vomiting, but the nausea puts me down and out. I just had another appt with the doc yesterday and he said the purpose of zofran is to curb vomiting, but it literally takes my nausea away. I take half a tablet at a time because most insurances (if they cover it) are only allowed to give you so much, so I have 20 tablets per script and I only get one refill the entire pregnancy. (I am 8 weeks) And I am doing one full tablet a day right now seeing how they say the nausea etc peaks at 9 weeks. (but I get the generic not name brand and with my Cigna plan, it was 15 bucks for the generic at CVS. Hope you are able to get it and it helps!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Lurker from 3rd trimester..

Zofran saved me a trip to the ER.  I got a nasty stomach bug and couldn't keep anything down, as a FTM I called the after hours on call doc and she prescribed zofran and said if it didn't work by morning, head to the ER for fluids.  This medicine dissolves on the tongue and even as it was dissolving I felt the nausea abating.  I call it my miracle drug.  I can't speak on long term affects though, as I only took it for a day.  I had no issues with constipation (at least no worse than normal for a 3rd trimester!!) 

• Worked wonders on my all-day nausea -- no side effects so far.
    My dr. prescribed a generic version and with my insurance it was only $10 for 30 pills. GL!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"