March 2013 Moms

No visitors under 14

I kept reading posts about children not allowed at the hospital durring flu season. I have been checking the website for my hospital every so often to see if they are restricting visitors. Last night I saw in bold yellow "no visitors under 14, no excetions".

I totally understand why but can't help but feel sad that I will not get to see my 21m old for 3 or 4 days while I am at the hospital.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: No visitors under 14

• I hated not seeing my oldest when I was recovering from my cesarean. DH and I both agreed it was probably for the best, since she was only 1 year old and so attached to me, taking her home and leaving me behind at the hospital would have caused a total meltdown. She missed me, but better for her emotionally to be at her home all day with SIL and DH to take care of her.

Still, I'm glad my hospital has said "no visitors under 14" for the L&D floor only. Once I'm in recovery they'll be allowed to visit (so far, it might change, but we're in Texas, so the flu outbreak isn't as bad as other places). 

DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My hospital is no visitors under 14 except siblings of the newborn.  Are you sure your child really can't visit?  That seems kinda crazy unless it has to do with the flu.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Loading the player...
  • My hospital also has this restriction. It's going to be really tough not to see my little guy while I'm in the hospital, but I'm hoping the restrictions will be lifted in March. If not, I understand why the hospital is doing it, just makes it tough.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I emailed the hospital and they confirmed that normally siblings are allowed but for the time being because of the Flu there will be not exceptions. They suggested I do skype with my LO.  I think skype will just make it harder on both of us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • So far, ours is still allowing children, so I hope that continues to be the case. With my first, it was the height of H1N1, and they were not allowing kids.
  • Ours is no visitors under 14 with the exception of siblings but the siblings need a documented note from their pediatrician that they had received the flu vaccine and that it had been more than 2 weeks since receiving it and they can't be showing any sign of illness (no cough, runny nose, etc.). Thanks for reminding me that I need to call the pedi and ask for a note for the kids :-)  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Ugh that stinks.  Hopefully they will lift it in March so that you can see your little one.  That would be tough!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Same for me - but our hospital is no children under 18.  No exceptions. 

It really made it difficult for me to rearrange care for DD while I am in the hospital.  I kind of get it and I kind of don't.  I am sure there are many adults who don't get flu shots and likely more children with flu shots than adults - so not entirely sure how banning those under 18 addresses the issue. 

DD#1 born 9/29/2010; DD#2 born 2/25/2013

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• my birth center is only allowing grandparents to visit and only during certain times. So no friends, other family, and no children.
  • We're not allowed any visitors besides SO and grandparents. It could be worse!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.
  • imageebp913:
    My hospital is no visitors under 14 except siblings of the newborn. nbsp;Are you sure your child really can't visit? nbsp;That seems kinda crazy unless it has to do with the flu. nbsp;
    That's the rule at our hospital too... Siblings can visit but they have to have absolutely no flu symptoms for 48 hours to be allowed in! I'm happy that this is the case because my BF's daughter who is 5 is super excited to meet her little brother... Although there is only a small chance she'll get to see him in the hospital regardless of rules due to how often we have her!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"