February 2013 Moms
Options

How to remain calm during BP checks...?

My blood pressure was high last appt. so they mentioned the possibility of induction and then my BP really shot up.  I feel like I can't give them an accurate BP reading because everytime they check it I think about it being high and being induced and it shoots up.  How do you remain calm when they are checking your BP?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
View Full Size Image

Re: How to remain calm during BP checks...?

• Options
    I just start talking to the nurses, while they check mine. I have the same problem though, I get nervous about it being high and it shoots up a little, but talking to the nurses help.
                     Johna and Justin Married since 2011
                     Baby Jasper born 2.23.13 8lbs 15 oz. 
  • Options

Talking during a reading can make it high too.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageholly321:

Talking during a reading can make it high too.

It might make mine a little higher, but not as high when I'm quiet and freaking out about it. Not everyone is the same though. 

Johna and Justin Married since 2011
                     Baby Jasper born 2.23.13 8lbs 15 oz. 
  • Options
    I had the same issue. I had my BP checked twice a week for two months and I was always a wreck. My heart rate was always like 140 because I was so jacked up!! They always took a second reading after I had a chance to sit and calm down. I did a lot of deep breathing and did not talk. My BP was always much lower on the second reading.

Edit: wanted to add that they took the second reading manually which I think also helped. Just the sound of the auto BP machine freaked me out.

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"