Babies on the Brain

Brazilian Wax

Talk to me about Brazilian waxes. We are taking a couple vacations this summer that will require me to be in a swimsuit a lot of the time so I really want to get one, but I am super modest and the thought of someone in my business freaks me out. I am also a big wimp, is it really painful? 

Please, enlighten me.  

TTC#1 Since April 2011 
BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
BFP #2 10.1.13
EDD June 10, 2014
imageimageimage

Re: Brazilian Wax

• I got one a few months ago. It wasn't too bad. The worst part was the labia. She kept the side she wasn't waxing covered with a towel so you aren't exposed all at once. Keep in mind she does this everyday. I would get it a week before you leave. I had some redness for a day or two.

Overall it took about 10 minutes.
  • Not my thing. I had it done once, but will stick to shaving.

I had remnants of wax that were a pain to get off, and they clearly missed some spots. I got a horrible rash from it and was bumpy for days down there.

Married 11/21/2018

Me: 33 / DH: 33

TTC #1 since 2012, finally successful in 2016

BFP 11/29/2013 - EDD 8/9/2014 - MMC 12/31/2013 8 weeks 2 days - Tried to MC naturally for 4 weeks, D&C 2/2/2014

IUI 01/25/2016 - BFP 2/5/2016 - Natural Home Delivery to our DD 10/8/2016

IUD removed 10/3/2018 

Ready to TTC for #2

TTGP Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Dinner Fails:
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had it done once. It was suggested to me to get a bikini wax first. If you haven't done that I would. It's a good opportunity to see if waxing works with your skin and your comfortable with it.

I didn't mind it - it wasn't to painful, and like others said they do this for a living.

I actually know people who wax themselves. I would like to try that, but don't know if I'd be able to pull when the time comes.

• I got it lasered because I am the essence of lazy.
    Married 5.15.2010
  • I want to, but am scared it will hurt. Says the girl who had a drug free birth lol.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMNswimmer:

I've had it done once. It was suggested to me to get a bikini wax first. If you haven't done that I would. It's a good opportunity to see if waxing works with your skin and your comfortable with it.

I didn't mind it - it wasn't to painful, and like others said they do this for a living.

I actually know people who wax themselves. I would like to try that, but don't know if I'd be able to pull when the time comes.

That's a really good idea. I think I'll try that first.  

TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • You can get Lidocaine cream from Amazon or a stronger formula from your doctor if you aren't too embarrassed to ask for it. I put it on an hour before the wax and also take an anti-inflammatory pain reliever 30 minutes prior to my appointment. It is uncomfortable at first but they usually keep up a conversation and take your mind off the waxing part. 

To minimize redness after, there are lots of things you can do. Look up a before and after a wax checklist :)  Exfoliating before and Neosporin after is typically what I do! 

Good luck! 

• I had one last April before we went to Aruba, but I don't know that I would get another. It did hurt quite a bit, but luckily it was over quickly! The girl I had was hilarious and a lot of fun, so we were able to make light of the situation.

Also, BIG points with DH     ;-) 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

Met 9/2001
    Engaged 3/15/2006
    Married 5/19/2007
    DD 12/12/13
    DS 6/6/2016

M/C 9/29/18 @ 6w
     BabyFruit Ticker
    Our little tie breaker due 8/1/19!  <3

• Like with all waxing, it hurts less the more often you do it. I always did my own bikini waxing, and it wasn't too bad. I would try it well in advance to your vacation though. Start with a bikini wax and work up to a Brazilian if you desire. I never found the need to go that far.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • I used to get them a lot (then we moved, and I just never found a new salon), but on my first trip the lady told me about how the wax they were using only sticks to the hair and not the skin itself (it felt like a sticker being pulled off when she showed me on my hairless leg). It still hurts, but not nearly as much as it would if the wax was pulling at the skin too.

This was a few years ago, so maybe this is standard practice and I'm just really behind (hah! Unintentional pun!) 

I agree with PP that trying just a bikini wax to start would be a good idea. 

Married since 5.9.2009 Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • imagebugandbibs:
    Like with all waxing, it hurts less the more often you do it. I always did my own bikini waxing, and it wasn't too bad. I would try it well in advance to your vacation though. Start with a bikini wax and work up to a Brazilian if you desire. I never found the need to go that far.

I've thought about doing a bikini wax myself, but I am afraid to hurting myself!  

TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • I did one once before my wedding... I'd probably stick with a bikini wax if I were to go again.

Yes it hurt, but it was over quickly and the gal and I ended up laughing the entire time, so overall it was a great experience.
  • Yes, I'd start with a bikini wax! I am getting my first one on Thursday! I am also super nervous and modest about having someone wax me there and being all "hairy". I told this to my regular brow waxer and she told me to not shave for 2 weeks. I usually use Nads waxing strips and love them but wanted a more thorough wax I usually cant get myself! Good luck! 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've started going regularly and it goes like this:

I go into the room and undress below the waist and hop on the table while the wax is prepared. Lying on my back with legs on the table I bend both knees outward so that the bottoms of my feet are touching, like a diamond shape.  Then to get "the rest" I hug my knees to my chest. It takes about 8 minutes and I'm mildly sore the rest of the day. 

I hear some places make you do the bend over pull apart thing, yikes.  

• I would suggest if you never had it just get a bikini done. The lady who does mine is very good and does a little more than just a bikini and if you want that little extra taken off just ask them. Also take 2 advil or something at least 1/2 hour before you go. And yes it will hurt the first few times. GL
    Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Trying to Conceive Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"