3rd Trimester

how long is a hospital stay usually

how long is a hospital stay usually? like if nothing goes wrong or anything, how long does the hospital keep you?

Re: how long is a hospital stay usually

• One day, but I have heard of two. I had no issues my last delivery, but my DD had bouts of low O2, so they had me stay an extra day with her at the childbirth center, otherwise I would have been released the following day.

I am sure that your hospital or childbirth center has a policy. Your OB would know.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My hospital told me 2 days for a vaginal delivery and 3 days for a csection. As the PP mentioned, I would ask your OB. He or she would know.
  • Loading the player...
  • Where I live, 3 nights for vaginal, a week for csection... Roughly
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Our hospital is 48 hrs for vaginal and 72 hrs for c section.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was in the hospital for approximately 30 hours. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine told me technically you can go after 24 hours but he has everyone stay for 2
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • When I had scheduled C-Section, i stayed 2 nights.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Typically 48hrs for a vaginal delivery and 72hrs for a cesarean. Barring any complications of course, and this does seem to vary by hospital.

Our midwife and pediatrician will discharge STMs & baby 24hrs post vaginal delivery, assuming mom & babe are both doing well and mom is comfortable leaving a day early. (yes, please. I hate the hospital stay.)

*Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm hoping to go home as soon as humanly possible.  I hate hospitals and would do a home birth if I could get DH on board.
  • We could have been discharged 24 hours after birth but opted to stay an extra night for help with breast feeding since the second night was covered by insurance.  This time, we'll leave after 24 hours as long as everything's going well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My hospital is 48 hrs for vaginal and 72 for c-section but you're allowed to leave when you feel up to it.
    image"Image">imageAnniversaryimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I delivered DD #1 at a birthing center and was able to go home 6 hours after delivery. It was awesome and so nice to be able to sleep in my own bed.

This time, I have to deliver in a hospital and I am totally not looking forwar dot having to stay longer. I am hoping for 24 hours maximum, although I would love to be able to leave earlier! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My hospital keeps me 24 hours after birth, but if you give birth overnight you have to wait until morning shift before they release you. With DS I gave birth at 1:20 am Saturday and wasn't released until 11 am Sunday.  They wanted to keep me one more night because they thought I had PPD because I was weapy. Uh, I'm sorry, I haven't slept in 2 days, I have a mutilated, painful vag and I've been alone the majority of the time, sorry if I'm crying a little. LET ME GO HOME!!!! 

• I was admitted at 4pm on Wednesday, delivered 7:12 am on Thursday and I was released on Saturday afternoon.  Technically I was there for three nights but I was in the L&D room for one of those nights.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Two nights with DD... she arrived at 8pm at night. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My hospital wants you to stay for at least 24 hours after the baby is born, but the Dr usually does the discharge round in the morning, so if you have your baby later in the day, then they will keep you for 2 nights.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 26 hours after baby is born.  There is some test that they do on baby a 24hours.
    *** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • Standard vaginal delivery is 2 days. Cesarean is 4 days. After a vaginal birth with no complications, my hospital gives the option to stay or go home after 1 day.
  • I chose to stay the two days that my insurance covered. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Mine's 2 days following a vaginal delivery and 4 days following c-section

BFP #2: 11-7-14, CP (BFN: 11-13-14)

BFP #3: 3/24/15 EDD: 12/5/15

• Up to 48hrs for a vaginal and 95hrs for c/s. Some moms go home after 12 hours if all labs and such look good for both her and baby.

I'm going to school to become a midwife! 
    You can follow my journey here: http://midwife101.wordpress.com
  • Depends on the hospital and you and your baby.

We were going to go home the day after I delivered DD but then she had a fever so they wanted to keep her another night. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My hospital is 2 days for a vaginal birth and 4 days for a c-section.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"