Babies on the Brain

Financial Considerations?

Hi ladies!

We have 2 LOs (7 years and 7 months), and DH and I are having many discussions about TTC #3.  Money is a big issue, and I'm curious-what financial issues are you discussing/worrying about/resolving?  Long-term disability insurance?  Short-term disability insurance?  Buying a house instead of renting?  Having a certain amount in savings?  Paying off debt?  Anything else?

Thanks! 

Re: Financial Considerations?

• Our personal goals were to be debt free, with the exception of our house and car payments, have x amount in savings, x amount of extra money going into savings per month, and of course health insurance which we have never not had.

But other people have different standards and it works for them.

Little Slick
    Born 6.26.10
    Forever a Family 11.26.12
  • We are very lucky not to have much debt (just DH's car and our house).  Our big goals before TTC were finishing our remodeling projects on the house and building up our savings as much as we could, although I never had a specific goal in mind. 

Now that we are dealing with IF, saving money has been an even bigger goal (we are OOP for testing and treatment).  I have a number in mind for our savings account, which we will hopefully hit in the next few months after receiving our tax return and my bonus.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Loading the player...
  • We're currently trying to pay down our college debt and still build up our savings. We don't have a specific amount in mind, but we would definitely like to have a "safety net" in place. This is especially important for me since I would like to be able for me to afford to take the full 12 weeks off work when we do finally have a baby.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • We have short and long term disability, a large life insurance policy, and health insurance which were all important to us. Honestly I'm probably overinsured for this part of life but I got a discount by signing up before graduating from dental school and am charged the genderneutral rate which is huge.

Before DS, we got our savings built up but after a 12,000 bill from the hospital after insurance for the birth, that was wiped out. We just started Financial Peace University and are working on our emergency fund again.

This time we also would like all our small debt paid off. We won't pay off the house, car or student loans before then which is why I say small debt.
  • My husband and I always knew we didn't want to have a child in our current apartment.  It's small and apartment living is close quarters, so our first goal was to buy a home to be able to bring our LO home to.  After posting a similar question to these ladies, many suggested looking at child care costs and making sure we would have money in the budget for that.  Also having a cushion for unexpected expenses that come with a house and life!

We have worked for the past few years to pay off my car and all our credit cards.  The only debt we have is student loans (ouch) and soon to be mortgage.  I want to be as financially stable as possible when we even begin to TTC.

Best of luck to you! 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • FI and I don't make a lot of money, but we make enough. Between us we have my student loans, my car payment, and one credit card each. I'd like to have his credit card paid off, my balance cut in half at least, and another few thousand in savings before we TTC. At the earliest that will be August since the savings seems to grow the most slowly. I'm not super worried about my car payment or student loans. I just need to make sure there's enough to pay them each month even when I'm out on FMLA for 12 weeks. I will get STD for 6 weeks and go the other 6 without pay, hence the need for savings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The main issue for us is three in daycare...so we need to wait until September
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have quite a bit of debt (ugh) and so have decided to have 1 of 4 credit cards paid off, and small savings of about $1000.00 which we should have done by September-ish (we live in Canada so medical expenses are $0) However, we recently found out we might be getting posted to another province in the next few months so finding/buying/building a home is something else we may have to consider as well.

TTGP Jan Siggy Challenge: Workout Fails

Workout FAIL!. .. actually about 1% of the male population CAN

So THAT's how you get into baby-making position!

imageDjhffrz4XcU3vY8JaKJ0mg2KTyzMU4IW_lg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"