March 2013 Moms

Elective induction

My ob office allows for elective induction at 39 weeks. What is everyone's thoughts on elective inductions?

Re: Elective induction

• You should watch the business of being born. It will open your eyes to a lot of interesting things. It's on Netflix. I personally believe that babies will come when they are ready. Good luck to you!!!
  • imageRayIda410:
    You should watch the business of being born. It will open your eyes to a lot of interesting things. It's on Netflix. I personally believe that babies will come when they are ready. Good luck to you!!!

this ! 

I watched and it gave me new perspective on several things .....  My MW group will not induce until 41 weeks..  I knew that going in though.. Best wishes ..  Im sure you will make the right decision for you  

5 years IF & 2 losses

~~ DS Born 2/28/2013 ~~
                8lb 13 oz 22 inches 
    Happily expecting another miracle !
     EDD 11/20

• Loading the player...
  • I think it's selfish to deliver a baby because you're uncomfortable (which is usually the reason behind non medically necessary inductions). If you decide to get pregnant you should know that being uncomfortable comes with the territory. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagenyki06:
    I think it's selfish to deliver a baby because you're uncomfortable (which is usually the reason behind non medically necessary inductions). If you decide to get pregnant you should know that being uncomfortable comes with the territory. 

Really? Selfish? That's more than a little judgy...

I think that, as long as your doctor is assuring you that the baby will be ready by 39 weeks, an elective induction is fine. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about delivering your baby a week early. My doctor is talking about induction for me at 39 weeks because of baby's size. While I'm aware that growth ultrasounds can be off and that many women feel that it's not a good reason for an induction, I will welcome the opportunity to meet my baby sooner and put an end to this pregnancy. I don't think it's selfish. I think it's a personal choice.

• imageCVsanger:

imagenyki06:
    I think it's selfish to deliver a baby because you're uncomfortable (which is usually the reason behind non medically necessary inductions). If you decide to get pregnant you should know that being uncomfortable comes with the territory. 

I think that, as long as your doctor is assuring you that the baby will be ready by 39 weeks, an elective induction is fine. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about delivering your baby a week early. My doctor is talking about induction for me at 39 weeks because of baby's size. While I'm aware that growth ultrasounds can be off and that many women feel that it's not a good reason for an induction, I will welcome the opportunity to meet my baby sooner and put an end to this pregnancy. I don't think it's selfish. I think it's a personal choice.

This.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.
  • I was induced with DD because of medical reasons.  It went fairly well and she was delivered vaginally, but I wouldn't want to be induced if I didn't have to.  I feel like if your body isn't ready for labor, your likelihood of having a failed induction increases resulting in CS.   I think you might have a better labor experience if you wait for labor to start on its own.  Of course there are many reasons why an induction would be necessary.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's your body, baby and a very personal decision. Just make sure you do your own research beyond asking online strangers opinions. Check out "bishop score" too. GL with whatever you decide!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have no problem with it.. If my dr offers I will definitely do it.. My sister in law was induced with 2 of her kids I think.. None of them have problems.. The induced ones were as healthy as the none induced ones..

I have a Daughter born 2/26/2013. She is pretty much amazing!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• imagenyki06:
    I think it's selfish to deliver a baby because you're uncomfortable which is usually the reason behind non medically necessary inductions. If you decide to get pregnant you should know that being uncomfortable comes with the territory.nbsp;

I completely agree. Yes, it is completely selfish, if there is no medical reason. ACOG does not recommend induction based on size estimation, either. Let the baby come when he or she is ready.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would never do an elective induction.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• I was induced last time at 39 weeks due to high bp.  It was my 3rd baby and I was so scared that after two vaginal births I would end up with a c-section but I flat out asked my OB if she was SURE this would go off without a hitch and she said "yes, your body knows what to do now and your last baby was larger than this one so there should be no reason for a c-section."  She was right.  The induction was a piece of cake and I would totally do it again. 

Would I do it again electively?  Not so sure.  I love the idea of knowing when my baby will be born so that I can plan for the other 3 but I think I would feel like a heel for the rest of my life if I ended up with a c-section because of that decision.  As far as being uncomfortable and wanting it to be over, well I kind of feel that way already because I am measuring 4 weeks ahead and have extra amniotic fluid along with a big baby.  Do I think I should be induced?  Nope. 

• Personally not a choice I would make.   Babies tend to come when they are ready and who am I to rush that?   Medically necessary induction, no prob.  Doing it because it is convenient for you or your doc, not a fan.
  • I was induced at 39 weeks for BP with my first and it was a piece of cake but I was 4cm when I got to the hospital. Would I do it without my body progressing some before probably not. With that being said I don't judge anyone for their choices if your OB says it is safe and you trust them. My OB will induce again if I'm progressing be 39 weeks only because it is the only way DH and LO will have the chance to meet before he is a year old. During DH's RR time. SIL keeps trying to make us go earlier and we say absolutely not plus OB will not even consider it before 39 weeks unless someone's life is in danger.
  • I am personally taking the induction at 39 weeks. I probably wouldn't if it was my first pregnancy though, as I know my cervix is very favorable and the risk of c section is so low because of this and because I've given birth before. I think that it's up to you, I dont think anyone should judge someone else for wanting an elective induction, but then again you can't complain if you end up with a c section lol that's the way I see it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • People get so judgy over this and my opinion? they need to get over it. As long a you do your research on ANY birth and you are comfortable with it, then that's what matters. How would these people feel if I judge them for getting an ECV, attempting a VBAC or vaginal breech delivery, or even a homebirth? Every single one of those births come with a set of risks but its not my place to judge.

If you are truly interested in an elective induction, I would check your bishop score close closer to delivery which may give you a better idea how it will go.

I was induced at 0 progress due to medical reasons with my first [and had a uncomplicated delivery]. Since I'm a second time mom, I can get induced at 39 weeks [39.4 days] and I'm opting for it. My sister went into labor on her own and ended up with a c section. Really, there's no telling how birth will play out.

• Wow. People get so offended over this for no reason. I assume you've done your research and know that as long as both of you will be happy and healthy, you can birth your baby in any way you please. Don't let people make you feel guilty, because you're going to see both opinions and it's not up to anyone but YOU!
  • My feeling is unless there is a medical reason, what is one more week? You've already made it through 39!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagewittyschaffy:
    Personally not a choice I would make. Babies tend to come when they are ready and who am I to rush that? Medically necessary induction, no prob. Doing it because it is convenient for you or your doc, not a fan.

Exactly this.

As far as the "don't judge" comments, when someone asks for people's opinions, don't be mad if you don't like them.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• imagewittyschaffy:
    Personally not a choice I would make.   Babies tend to come when they are ready and who am I to rush that?   Medically necessary induction, no prob.  Doing it because it is convenient for you or your doc, not a fan.
      My thoughts exactly.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My SIL was allowed to have an elective induction at 38 weeks with my youngest niece.  The induction itself went great, but my niece didn't do so well.  She was only 6 pounds (their first child was over 8 pounds), she had breathing problems and had to spend the first two nights in a special care nursery, and developed severe jaundice that needed the intervention of a bili-light after they got her home.  She also had chronic ear infections and developed RSV in her first year.  It could all be coincidence, but all of these have at some point been linked to being born too early.  

Again, not sure if these issues were caused by the early induction, but it seems silly to me to risk it for a non-medical reason.  That is just my two cents, based on what happened with my niece.   

imageBabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagerm2013:
    imagewittyschaffy:
    Personally not a choice I would make. Babies tend to come when they are ready and who am I to rush that? Medically necessary induction, no prob. Doing it because it is convenient for you or your doc, not a fan.

Exactly this.

As far as the "don't judge" comments, when someone asks for people's opinions, don't be mad if you don't like them.

There's a big difference in commenting that its not for you and saying how completely selfish it is. Unless its your baby, body or birth experience, I think that's an ignorant comment to make. But really, how you have a baby is the first of many things you get judged on as a parent.

• I go to a practice that will induce you at 39 weeks if that is your wish. I know a few women who opted for this and they ended up with very long labors and eventually had to have c-sections. I know that's not always the case though and some inductions go fine. Personally I wouldn't volunteer for an induction because I like the idea of your baby coming when it and your body are ready. But it's your body and a decision you need to make after researching and talking to your doctor. Good luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageRunner1981:

imagelkm2006:
    imagerm2013:
    imagewittyschaffy:

Exactly this.

There's a big difference in commenting that its not for you and saying how completely selfish it is. Unless its your baby, body or birth experience, I think that's an ignorant comment to make. But really, how you have a baby is the first of many things you get judged on as a parent.

The only thing I judge is when someone doesn't do their research on ANYTHING related to their health. I hope the OP is because a bunch of Internet strangers do not know some very important facts that should help guide a decision like an elective induction like: her health, her baby's health, her OBs track record, AND facts like what an elective induction entails, pros, cons, etc. I don't think inductions should be taken as lightly as just having the opportunity because her OB allows them so asking strangers on The Bump. I just encourage her to do her own research. Hopefully she is and asking was just one other way to hear opinions. 

I completely agree. I think it's just as ignorant to go into anything regarding your [and your baby's health] blindly.

• It sounds like what she asked for was your thoughts.....I take that as what are the pros and cons.  What are the risks either way.  Let's give this poor mom a break and just help her with facts.  Maybe tell her your experience instead of telling her she's selfish.  Just an idea.

I am electing to have an early csection at 39 weeks.  This is my third.....

My first LO:  I was 42 weeks, 2 days.  (It was accurate EDD we established through ultrasounds).  I decided to be induced.  This does NOT make me selfish I assure you, my BP was fine, NST was fine, baby was only measuring 9 lbs.  This is completely do-able.  But baby wasn't ready to come out.  Everyone will have an opinion on what I should have done but yes, I was ready.  And you may be too.  He was 16 days overdue and I after laboring for 8 hrs., emergency csection.   I don't think just because I decided to induce labor that this happened.  There are many factors that go into why csections occur. 

My second LO:  Csection at 39 weeks.  I did NOT want to go into labor so I opted for this.  MY CHOICE.  Was he ready?  I'll never know but he was completely healthy. 

You do what you feel is right.  Don't listen to anyone who offers only judgement.  Listen to those with facts.  That's my advice......

• imageMelTwe:
    I was induced with DD because of medical reasons.  It went fairly well and she was delivered vaginally, but I wouldn't want to be induced if I didn't have to.  I feel like if your body isn't ready for labor, your likelihood of having a failed induction increases resulting in CS.   I think you might have a better labor experience if you wait for labor to start on its own.  Of course there are many reasons why an induction would be necessary.

All of this

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• imagetmsgrl:

I was induced last time at 39 weeks due to high bp.  It was my 3rd baby and I was so scared that after two vaginal births I would end up with a c-section but I flat out asked my OB if she was SURE this would go off without a hitch and she said "yes, your body knows what to do now and your last baby was larger than this one so there should be no reason for a c-section."  She was right.  The induction was a piece of cake and I would totally do it again. 

Would I do it again electively?  Not so sure.  I love the idea of knowing when my baby will be born so that I can plan for the other 3 but I think I would feel like a heel for the rest of my life if I ended up with a c-section because of that decision.  As far as being uncomfortable and wanting it to be over, well I kind of feel that way already because I am measuring 4 weeks ahead and have extra amniotic fluid along with a big baby.  Do I think I should be induced?  Nope. 

I'm glad it worked out for you, but it was ridiculous for her to promise you that. There is no way she could have known what would happen. 

My little man at 0-1-2

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• I would, under no circumstances, get an elective induction. My OB offers them at 39 weeks for STMs and while it would be convenient to know when I'd have the baby (so we could get someone to watch DS, as our families are not nearby), it's not worth the risk to me. The baby's lungs may not be fully developed, the induction could lead to more interventions and has a higher CS chance, etc. Not a decision I would make unless medically necessary.
  • After being induced at 36w1 or 2 days and at 35w6 days with my first two (due to water breaking), and having short but very intense labors, I am hoping that I can go into labor on my own this time -- or at least be induced by other means than pitocin.  My first two, I went from 0-10 +delivery in 4-6 hours and ex had a hard time convincing the nurses with my first that they needed to get me checked because they had checked me just 20- 30 minutes prior and I was only around a 6.  Sure enough I was at a 10 and my body was starting to push on its own.

FWIW, neither of my first two spent any time in the NICU.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Me personally? Absolutely not. An elective induction increases the risk of a c/s. A c/s affects every pregnancy and birth you will have in the future. I don't understand why women have elective inductions, unless their DH is military and has a small window to meet his new child. Because you are uncomfortable is not a very good reason, IMO. It's not all about you, it's about your baby and what is best for them. Welcome to parenthood. 
  • I think unless your body is already showing signs that its going to start laboring soon you will only be setting yourself up for a potential horrible experience by inducing. If baby and your body isnt ready, you can end up with a long labor, complications needing a csection, vacuum, episiotomy, etc, and baby might not be able to handle the stress and can be born with issues. Yea, some people get induced and have no issues and baby was fine in their eyes but other times an induction can lead to unneeded stress. I had a friend who was induced her body wasnt ready was in labor for 32 hours had to have an episiotomy cause she had an epidural that caused her not to push properly and baby had to spend time in the nicu cause he had fluid in his lungs and this was all only a few days before her "due date". Honestly, i would just wait it out but everyone has the right to do what they want.
  • imageCVsanger:

imagenyki06:

Judgy, sure I'll take it. Inductions do increase the risk of interventions which raises the risk to the mother and baby though, so to add extra risk for the sake of being comfortable is selfish to me. You can think that's extreme but you don't have to agree with me. She asked for opinions on elective inductions and that's my opinion. Inductions for medical reasons are a different story. 

To the PP who said that instead of saying my opinion on elective inductions I should just give my experience, she asked for my opinion. If she had specifically asked for other's experiences I wouldn't have replied since I went to 42 weeks and spontaneously delivered my daughter (although uncomfortable at that point) and wouldn't have had anything to add in the form of experience. It doesn't sound like she's made up her mind about whether or not she's having one, she just said that her office gives her the option and wanted opinions. I strongly dislike non medically necessary inductions so that's what I said.  

• I think inductions are not so cut and dry, and go on a case by case basis (or at least should).

Reasons for induction:

1) Maternal complications that are putting mom and/or baby at risk; 2) a large-for-gestational-age baby (which puts baby at higher risk for birth injury if allowed to continue to grow in utero).  While I agree that babies will come when they are ready, some will not. Working in the NICU, I have seen some terrible outcomes for large and/or late babies. You can do a lot of interventions to help a preemie but for a large and/or late baby that has been injured, harm is often irreversible, (but preventable with an induction or c-section.)

Reasons against induction:

1) The use of pitocin puts mom at risk for uterine tetony/rupture - you can have prolonged contractions which can cause stress to the baby, or worst case, rupture, which can also cause irreversible harm to you and the baby; 2) the use of pitocin may cause a harder labor.

Truthfully, I find it difficult to believe that a doctor's office promotes elective inductions because it seems like there needs to be a medical reason for the induction in order for insurance companies to pay for it (at least that is what seems to be the case in Michigan). If your doctor is offering truly elective inductions, I would carefully think about the reasons why you want or need to be induced.  Anything after 37 weeks is considered full term, but you really want to do a risk of harm v. benefit analysis in this kind of situation.

• In terms of people considering The Business of Being Born a way to become "educated," I think it's important to stress that it's a Ricki Lake documentary. I have much more respect for my practice of well respected doctors to help me make the right decision. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageRayIda410:
    You should watch the business of being born. It will open your eyes to a lot of interesting things. It's on Netflix. I personally believe that babies will come when they are ready. Good luck to you!!!

AGREED! Baby will come when their ready! I'm ready for my baby to be out too but I'm leaving it up to him when he's ready to meet us!
  • imageShel79:

My SIL was allowed to have an elective induction at 38 weeks with my youngest niece.  The induction itself went great, but my niece didn't do so well.  She was only 6 pounds (their first child was over 8 pounds), she had breathing problems and had to spend the first two nights in a special care nursery, and developed severe jaundice that needed the intervention of a bili-light after they got her home.  She also had chronic ear infections and developed RSV in her first year.  It could all be coincidence, but all of these have at some point been linked to being born too early.  

Again, not sure if these issues were caused by the early induction, but it seems silly to me to risk it for a non-medical reason.  That is just my two cents, based on what happened with my niece.   

Actually there is research to support higher risks (lung issues, NICU stays, jaundice, feeding/swallowing issues for babies born even at 38 weeks - which is why the ACOG changed to no inductions unless medically necessary before 39w. DS was born at 38 weeks and had jaundice and feeding issues - no induction, water broke spontaneously. The ped, ob and lactation consultants all said that was common with "early term" babies.

I would not do an induction unless it was *medically necessary* - e.g. preeclampsia. A "big baby" is not a reason to induce unless you have GD. I wouldn't induce until at least 1 week overdue and that's b/c I know my dates are accurate (charting, using Clear blue easy fertility monitor, early ultrasound). 

• I wouldn't do it for any reason.  No OB can guarantee that your baby will be okay or ready- not even at/ after 40 weeks.  It has been shown that induction often leads to c sections and I truly believe that your baby will come when it's ready.  With my son I was told he would be at least 10 pounds.  I was offered induction at 39 weeks based on this and declined (it's rare that a baby will grow too large to be delivered safely vaginally-except with GD.  Not saying deliverying a 10 pound baby vaginally would be fun but it's not impossible.)  My son was born weighing 7 lb 4 oz.  I would have been pissed beyond belief had I taken them up on the induction offer.  Besides, at the end they say a baby gains what- like .5 pounds a week?  I doubt a 9 pound baby is much easier to deliver than a 9.5 pound baby.  And you've already waited 35 weeks (if you found out right after your missed period) to meet you baby- is one more week really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things? 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"