Multiples

NICU moms

Just a quick question: 

We were hoping our little guy would be going home this weekend, but he had a rough day yesterday and the feeding tube got put back in.  So, with one at home and my MIL leaving today, how did you manage visiting the NICU? The nurses said we could bring the other baby and leave in the nurses area between the regular nursery and NICU but I'm not sure how I feel about bringing him into the hospital again (germs, premie, low immune system).

Thanks! 

photo image-3.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: NICU moms

• We had one week when one baby was home and one baby was in the NICU.  We weren't allowed to bring DD back.  Even if we could have we wouldn't have due to germs like you mentioned.  One of us was home with the baby while the other one was at the NICU.  

It stunk and I felt so guilty most days but we were just trying to make the best out of a crappy situation.  

Good luck!  It will go by quickly and he will be home before you know it.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like PP, DD1 was home for 5 days before DD2. Given DH was still working full time (and didn't take leave until DD2 came home), I never got back into the NICU those last few days. :/ I wouldn't have dreamed of bringing DD1 back -- the NICU waiting area was a cesspool of coughing siblings. Ugh.

We made up for it with DH spending more nights at the NICU, and my parents also spent many hours during the day there -- so I never felt like DD2 was additionally neglected in any way (not that I ever felt she was in the NICU...just not snuggled as much as we could!) 

TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Luckily we only had that issue for a couple days when DD came home before DS. We ended up taking DD with us, but only went for a few hours in the afternoon/evening. I hated not being able to spend as much time there with him, but knew he was in good hands. I hope your little guy gets to come home soon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We were encouraged to bring DS1 back to visit his brother. All the the rooms in our NICU were private though, so we did not have any issues with other visitors or kids.
    BFP#1 12/18/10 EDD 8/28/11 | 2/14/11 discovered that our baby girl had anencephaly D&C 2/17/11 at 12.5 weeks | no O or AF post loss - Dx: AO + mild PCOS = secondary infertility Provera after 70 days = AF but no O | Provera + 50mg Clomid after 110 days = AF but no O 3 rounds of 100mg Clomid + Estrogen + Progesterone = mixed O results, all BFN hysteroscopy 1/6/12 - removed fibroid tissue injection cycle #1 - 75 IU follistim + ovidrel (triggered 2/9/12) + endometrin = BFP! EDD 11/3/12 | Beta @ 13dpo = 184, 17dpo = 993, 26dpo = >5000 IT'S TWIN BOYS!! Tommy and Charlie arrived on 9/10/12 after less than 6 hours of labor at 32 weeks Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • J came home one week before D. They still hadn't hit their due date yet, so it was really easy to cart him around since he slept all the time. I would spend about 4 hours there instead of my usual 8-9 hours. I fed J before leaving (same time D was being fed in the NICU), fed them together while I was there then would cuddle with D for an hour, while J slept in car seat, before heading home. I kept J's car seat covered with a blanket until we got into the NICU. It was hard, but it went by quickly. I called after every feeding to check on D.

ETA: I think you are saying that you are not allowed to bring your other baby into the nursery with his brother though? That sounds terribly inconvenient. I would ask why. 

• We have been trading off days to visit- my husband will go after work, or he will come home and I will go in for the evening.  I went from spending 8-10 hours a day in the NICU with all the babies, to seeing little Levi for only an hour or so every other day, and it breaks my heart.  But we don't have any other choice and luckily our primary nurses are all amazing and give him extra cuddles for us.  
    Me: 31 DH: 30
    Dx DOR (AMH .49), Stage 3/4 Endo, Septate Uterus
    After 2 years, numerous tests, abdonimal surgery, and 2 IVF cycles, we are so grateful to be expecting.
    Transferred 2 "perfect" 8-cell embies 6/12. Beta 1 6/25: 472! Beta 2 6/27: 1055!
    First u/s shows TRIPLETS! WHAT?!?! Both embies stuck and one split. OMG

Levi, Henry, and Amelia were born healthy at 34w3d.
  • imageSBBBE:

We had one week when one baby was home and one baby was in the NICU.  We weren't allowed to bring DD back.  Even if we could have we wouldn't have due to germs like you mentioned.  One of us was home with the baby while the other one was at the NICU.  

It stunk and I felt so guilty most days but we were just trying to make the best out of a crappy situation.  

Good luck!  It will go by quickly and he will be home before you know it.   

our situation was exactly the same.  we were told not to bring the other baby back.  Baby B was in the hospital for an additional week.  it was really hard, and i wanted DH there with me so bad.

image image
                      Ayden & Sydney

• I was allowed to bring Nathan back with me and I did.  Every day.  But they left Nathan's crib set up in Joey's area so we just spent most days with Joey until he was released.  It was nice to be able to be with both of them.  I'm not sure what I would have done if I couldn't have brought Nathan back with me.  

• We had 3 days between the first one coming home and the second being released but we didn't know it would be only 3 days at the time.  This was not during flu/RSV season, so I was allowed to bring the other baby in and have her in her car seat during care times (when I couldn't hold her b/c I was holding the NICU one).  If it was during flu season, I wouldn't have been allowed to bring my baby in.  We had a private room, so that might have been a reason, too.  My visits were a lot less frequent while I had a baby at home, though Sad

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

imageimage
    PAIF and SAIF welcome. IVF questions welcome, too.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imageyinyang124:

J came home one week before D. They still hadn't hit their due date yet, so it was really easy to cart him around since he slept all the time. I would spend about 4 hours there instead of my usual 8-9 hours. I fed J before leaving (same time D was being fed in the NICU), fed them together while I was there then would cuddle with D for an hour, while J slept in car seat, before heading home. I kept J's car seat covered with a blanket until we got into the NICU. It was hard, but it went by quickly. I called after every feeding to check on D.

ETA: I think you are saying that you are not allowed to bring your other baby into the nursery with his brother though? That sounds terribly inconvenient. I would ask why. 

I'm not sure why they won't let us. We asked before we left and they said no. On the day we were discharged, they had Tristan in his car seat in the nurses area and we were able to say bye to Austin. I guess it's for the best, it's just hard to get over there daily.

Hopefully he is home soon.  

photo image-3.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"