February 2013 Moms
Options

Registering for an epidural?

Quick question as I have seen it on a couple of posts. What does registering for an epidural mean? Do you have to pre-choose to have an epidural in some locations? 

My experience has been that you decide  if you want an epi while in labor; no one has ever asked prior to that. Wondering if it is different in different partsof the country.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Registering for an epidural?

• Options
    I think my nurse asked my preference when we checked in, but nothing besides that. I just told her when I was ready and she called anesthesia to come. But I also didn't have to pre register at my hospital so I don't know if that makes a difference.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
  • Options
    I was asked when I got admitted if I wanted one, I said I wanted to try without one, 8 hours later, I had no progress so I changed my mind.  I did have to wait almost an hour to get it then, I think otherwise it may have been quicker. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did a hospital tour and all of our paper work a month ago. That way we can walk right in to L D. So I have already filled out my epi paperwork. I still have a chance to say no but this just makes it easier if I do want one.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had to fill out any paperwork for it and pay a seperate copay for it by 34 weeks. It didn't mean I had to use it, but when I got to the hospital, they already had it ready if I wanted it. If I hadn't had used it, I'd have gotten money back. :) It's because our hospital uses anethesiologists (spelling?) that are contracted through some other place. They don't work directly for the one hospital.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The hospital I delivered DS1 at had you go for a epidural appointment if you wanted one.  You meet with the anesthesiologist and they discussed how it worked, what to expect, etc.  They also took vitals and a health history.  I found it totally pointless.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

• Options
    Thanks! It is interesting to hear how things work in different areas. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"