October 2013 Moms

Positive HPTs, but negative at doctor's office....

I also posted this on the Parenting board...  

Not really needing advice, per say, just kind of needing to air this. No one except my husband knows about this. However, if you have some particularly encouraging things to say, I'd welcome them! Big Smile

On Monday I got a very, very faint BFP with FMU with an FRER.

Tuesday morning, a little darker line.

Wednesday (hey, I had the test so why not?), slightly darker.

Today I go into my family practice (my insurance requires I get a referral for an OB from my primary care physician) and their test came back negative. They drew for a blood test but the results won't come back until Monday. It was a little hurtful, because the nurse practitioner says, "Hmm.. I should've known better than to fill out your referral paperwork already."... Nice.

On the way home, DH and I stopped at CVS and bought 3 more FRERs, and I took one when I got home. BFP. The line was about as dark as the FMU one from 2 days ago, but obviously this one wasn't with FMU.

So, here I sit, not sure if this is a sign that I'm headed for a chemical pregnancy diagnosis or not...

Limbo sucks.

Edited to add:  Sorry, if you're unaware of some of the abbreviations: BFP= big fat positive, HPT= home pregnancy test,  FMU= first morning's urine, FRER= First Response Early Result brand pregnancy test

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)

Re: Positive HPTs, but negative at doctor's office....

• So they took a urine test at the doctor's office and said that you weren't pregnant? If that is the case, hopefully the blood work will come back with a positive. Thinking about you <3
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • First off that lady was rude.

2nd sorry you are off to such a rough start. Multiple positive tests are hard to ignore plus a missing period.

Hopefully the blood tests will show up positive.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • Loading the player...
  • The nurse practitioner didn't really say anything except that the test came back negative.  She didn't say the words "you're not pregnant".... and as of right now, I know that I am pregnant because several HPTs told me so,  it's just a question of whether or not it's a chemical pregnancy. 

One of two things is happening: 

A) I am having a healthy pregnancy, but the home pregnancy test detected it way sooner than the doctor's urine test did.  This is very possible, as FIrst Response Early Result tests are very, very sensitive.. .often more sensitive than doctor's urine tests.

B) I am having a chemical pregnancy.  I had a chemical pregnancy years ago, so my mind automatically goes to this and it sucks.  A similar scenario happened with that.  I got a BFP at home, and then a negative at the doctor. However, with that, I bought another HPT and that also came out negative.  This time, I got a BFP again... and not even with first morning urine... so it gives me a little hope.

And thus... I sit and wait.  BOO.... 

Thanks for the thoughts. :)  I'll let you know what happens.  I hope I get to stick around with you lovely October ladies. :)  <3

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)
  • Thinking of you! I hope all is well and you continue with a strong healthy baby. That nurse was very inconsiderate. Even if she thought that she should not have said it out loud. A little professionalism and consideration would have gone a long way. Nevermind her. Try to relax and just have a nice weekend. I'm thinking everything is fine and her test was faulty.
    Me - 39 DH - 39 DS - 1 Due Date - 10-20-13
  • imageFormerlyKrista555:

B) I am having a chemical pregnancy.  I had a chemical pregnancy years ago, so my mind automatically goes to this and it sucks.  A similar scenario happened with that.  I got a BFP at home, and then a negative at the doctor. However, with that, I bought another HPT and that also came out negative.  This time, I got a BFP again... and not even with first morning urine... so it gives me a little hope.

I definitely think it's good you got a BFP after you came home. I've had two chemical pregnancies and had a negative test after I was at home from the doc. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Thank you for positive thoughts and kind words, ladies. I'm remaining hopeful. I plan to take a test first thing in the morning, too. We'll see!
  • FRERs are much more sensitive than the urine tests in doctor's offices.  I got a positive on a FRER when my HCG was only 14 and a negative at the doctor's office the same day. 

Are you still testing only with FRERs? I would test with a digital (they are not as sensitive) or see if you can find a test that you know is not as sensitive.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it is when you think you may be having a chemical. 

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • This happened to me with DS. One lady was super rude and refuse to give me bloodwork bc the urine test was negative and when I threw down my positive digi she still didn't care so I went somewhere else and they did a urine negative again and bloodwork positive. you probably didnt have enough hcg built up for the test at the office. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • From what I have researched, FRER's test positive with about 15hcg, but the doctor's office tests can need up to 50.  I wouldn't stress about it too much.  On Monday, you will get a call stating you are positive from your bloodwork.  Once you get your referral, make sure you mention your concerns to your OB though. Congrats and try not to worry too much this weekend...
  • I work at a doctors office and when I took my first pregnancy test it was with the First Response brand and it lit up like the Fourth of July!

I went to work and used one of the tests there, it came back negative.

Went to my OB apt yesterday saw my beans heart flutter... I would go with your first response and say you're pregnant!
  • It is much more likely to have a false negative than a false positive.

However I knew a girl that's had like 7 positive tests over the course of years but there was the faintest line I've ever seen and I never really saw it. She just wanted to see the line. So that's totally different.

Thanks for telling us what the abbreviations were! Lmao!!!

I think you're pregnant, good luck!
  • Let us know when you get the results, but I'm thinking you are pregnant!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had this happen earlier this week. I took a test in the morning bfp went to my pcm and they got a negative. The Dr didn't believe it though BC of how many I had gotten at home. So she did blood work came back as pregnant. I thunk I drank to much water. But since I had a c/p back in November I was freaking out. I went home after the appointment and took another test and it was definitely positive. Hopefully your blood work will come back with the same result.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Hoping your bloodwork comes back positive.

pregnancy calendar
  • Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts, ladies.

As of now, I'm still getting positive results on HPTs. 

I went to Dollar General Store and bought several $1 tests. I took one when I got home with 2nd morning urine and it came back clearly positive.  Still not as dark as the control line, but definitely positive.

I think I miscalculated how far along I am, because my husband told me yesterday that he remembers clearly the day I started my last period (lol), and that would make me 4w4d.  

I'm still nervous about a chemical pregnancy, but also very hopeful.

Thanks again guys. I really hope I get to stick around! It doesn't matter if it's your first pregnancy or your 3rd,  it's still nerve-racking when this kind of thing happens!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"