Baby Names

Valentine?

I meant to post this yesterday. What do you think of the name Valentine? My DH suggested it for a MN for a boy. He likes it because of the connection to the character in Stranger in a Strange Land. It is also the name of the little girl in Ender's Game. (Both popular sci-fi books). I vetoed it for this LO, as it would just be weird paired w/ FN Roman. But I don't think it's too out there, especially in the MN spot. A possible name for our next DS if we have one is Sebastian Valentine.

Anyway, what say ye of Valentine, BNB?

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Valentine?

• To the best of my knowledge, St. Valentine was executed by the Romans...so, there's that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a girlfriend whose MN is Valentine. I always thought it was cool.

• Loading the player...
  • image526SadieSadie:
    To the best of my knowledge, St. Valentine was executed by the Romans...so, there's that.

Nothing like celebrating how much you love someone on a day a good man was beaten with clubs and beheaded... 

I would avoid the name just because of the holiday association, but that's just me. 

DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • As middle name, it's okay. I really like Sebastian
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
  • My SOs name is Valentine Augustus... he goes by Val (like Val Kilmer) but likes his full name a lot.... I think he was named after a soccer player??
  • I think anything goes in the MN spot.  And I like Sebastian a lot.  (That's two martyrs in one name!)
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I love Ender's Game! It's one of my favorite books.

The only danger that I see with Sebastian Valentine is the connection of both names to The Mortal Instruments series, which is a popular YA books series that they are likely going to make into movies. ETA: Both characters are considered "bad guys", as well. 

Other than that, I like Sebastian, but Valentine is just weird to me and screams fiction. I guess as a MN it's not that bad though.  

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• imagecoraggiosa:

I love Ender's Game! It's one of my favorite books.

The only danger that I see with Sebastian Valentine is the connection of both names to The Mortal Instruments series, which is a popular YA books series that they are likely going to make into movies. ETA: Both characters are considered "bad guys", as well. 

Other than that, I like Sebastian, but Valentine is just weird to me and screams fiction. I guess as a MN it's not that bad though.  

This was my first thought too.

My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• imagedmlk413:
    imagecoraggiosa:

This was my first thought too.

Well, that's no good. Thanks for the heads up.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I dont think I would use it, but I wouldnt really give it the side eye either.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• I'm Italian and know a few Valentino's

I would not do Valentine for a boy.

• My nephew is Valentin, which I prefer to Valentine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• I love Valentine as a girls' name, like the sister in Ender's Game. If we ever have a girl #4 that will likely be here name (pronounced like the day, not the saint).
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• Not much help, but named my cat Valentine though we call him Valentino or Tino. 

As for a middle name, I think Valentine is just fine.  However, it always seems a bit effeminate to me.

• I like it. I think it sounds like a detective. Sebastian Valentine is on the case!
  • imagecoraggiosa:

The first movie comes out in August, and that's the first place my mind went. My teen and her friends LOVE Mortal Instruments. 

image  image

• I was thinking about this the other night as I've been singing "My Funny Valentine" to my little guy the past few weeks at bedtime.  The original song is from the show Babes in Arms and sung to a guy named Valentine.

I love the idea of the name, but I don't think I'd be brave enough to use it as a first name.  I think it'd be great for a middle though.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't care for it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"