Working Moms

Those who exercise during lunch

I'm a lurker with a question.  I was surprised to see so many of you exercise during lunch.  What do you do about showering/getting back in to work clothes?  I sweat like crazy while working out, so I would have to shower, do my hair and reapply make-up if I worked out during lunch.  Is that what all of you do?  or do you work-out less intensely so you don't sweat?  Or is there some other option I'm missing? 

I'm just trying to think about this works logistically.  It would probably take me 30 minutes to shower, do hair and reapply make-up, so that doesn't leave much time for actually working out and seems like a total PIA!

TIA!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Those who exercise during lunch

• We have a locker room and gym in the hospital where I work.  I sweat like crazy too, but shower after my workout.  I don't wash my hair and can get ready fairly quickly. 

Total time away from my desk is about an hour and 10 minutes.  I realize I am lucky. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSept07b2b:

I'm a lurker with a question.  I was surprised to see so many of you exercise during lunch.  What do you do about showering/getting back in to work clothes?  I sweat like crazy while working out, so I would have to shower, do my hair and reapply make-up if I worked out during lunch.  Is that what all of you do?  or do you work-out less intensely so you don't sweat?  Or is there some other option I'm missing? 

I'm just trying to think about this works logistically.  It would probably take me 30 minutes to shower, do hair and reapply make-up, so that doesn't leave much time for actually working out and seems like a total PIA!

TIA!  

I work out really hard, but just put my hair up. When I shower, I pretty much take a military shower and don't wash my hair.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • On days I lift weights, I don't shower, because I don't usually get gross enough.  I just change and head back to work.

On days I run, I definitely have to shower, but I take a quick shower and then do the minimal blow-drying/styling I can get away with to look halfway presentable.  I don't wear make-up, so I don't have that to contend with, but I'm definitely jealous of those with short hair.  In a time-crunch, I'll either not wash my hair when I shower or let my hair air dry. 

I honestly take about an hour and 15 when I go to the gym, and I'm only a five-minute walk from the gym, but since I don't go every day, I figure the time evens out.  It felt like a lot of work just to accomplish what was 30-40 minutes of actual working out, but once I got in the routine, it's easier to get in and get out. My lunch hours are literally the only time during the week I have to work out, so I decided it's better than nothing.  

Son #1 - September '09
    Son #2 - October '11
    Son #3 - Hoping to adopt from China some time in 2014!

Our adoption journey: Talkin' 'Bout the Next Generation
  • I have a gym right at work making it easy.  We have a full locker room so yes, I shower (I feel that if I don't sweat I didn't get a good workout).  On days I know I am going to workout on my lunch break, I just pull my hair back so I don't have to worry about it.  I do not remove and the reapply my makeup...again, I go lighter on days I know I am going to workout on my lunch break and blot my face during my workout as well as when I get out of the shower.  I typically get about a 40 minute total workout in (since I'm doing C25K right now...that is what I've been doing on my lunch break) and keep it under about an hour and 15 minutes...tops...I try to shoot for an hour, but sometimes I go over.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I WFH and workout at home, but it wouldn't be much different if I went to a gym.  I also sweat a lot, so I take a quick shower afterwards (pretty much just wash my body).  I will put my hair up and re-apply enough makeup that way I don't look ghastly.  I may not see people during the day, but I Skype with my co-workers and still want to look somewhat presentable.

View Full Size Image

• I shower after my workout but do not wash my hair. I use facial wipes to clean off my face and reapply makeup. Total time showering, getting dressed and applying makeup is 15 min or less.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have super short hair right now, but when I had mid-back length hair, I still could do a lunchtime workout. I sweat a lot when I run, so not showering is not an option, even when it is 20 degrees outside. When my hair was long, I let it air dry, either down, or pulled back into a neat bun. I don't wear much make-up, just tinted moisturizer, bronzer, and mascara, so that part is pretty quick.

I usually allow 5 minutes to get from my desk, to the locker room, changed, and out the door. I run 40 minutes out and back. I allow 19 minutes out, 21 minutes back (I loop around the block if I have extra time), then give myself 15 minutes to shower, dress, and get back to my desk.

Duke's House: Eating and Running with the Big Dog in Chennai: eatrunbrit.com

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

5K - 24:57 10M - 1:28:20 13.1M - 1:57:29 26.2M - 4:28:29

• Don't wash my hair, and the way I look in the afternoon, may not be the best, butit's okay.  I also keep Wet Ones in my gym bag for days I'm doing yoga.  
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • I just rinse off.  I don't reapply makeup, except for lipstick.  I try not to get my eye area wet so that makeup more or less stays on.

There are some days that even with a shower, I am sweating at my desk for a while.  I've just gotten used to it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I shower but I don't do my hair. I dry shampoo it, soaks up the sweat and looks decent still.
    Me: 38 BF: 35
    TTC Journey
    TTC since 1/2020
    AMA and poor sperm motility/count/morp
    5% chance of IUI success
    10/26/2021 - MC#1

Zoey Catherine
    10/17/2012 - 7/4/2018
    She fought DIPG (brain cancer) for 2 years
    #LETTHELIGHTSHINE
    http://zoeyslight.org/
    https://www.instagram.com/casey_steinv2.0/

• imagemrsdaggett:
    I shower but I don't do my hair. I dry shampoo it, soaks up the sweat and looks decent still.

Good idea on the dry shampoo.  I have some but don't use it...I don't know why. It's going in the bag for tomorrow!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • My office has a small gym and shower so I could clean up there. But to be honest I just didn't work out as hard so I didn't need to shower afterwards. I just wiped down. Shower time would have had to come out of my work out time.
  • Ok this is kinda weird, but I do shower, but I do this modified hair wash where I just wash my bang area. Then I blow dry that and pull the rest back and it looks presentable. You are not going to always look your best but looking fit looks better than any hair and makeup routine, think if it that way :)
  • My gym is like a quarter mile from my office. I work out for about 45 minutes and then clean myself up as fast as possible in the locker room. I don't wash my hair and just throw it up in a ponytail. I don't really wear a lot of makeup so I don't need to reapply anything.

My job doesn't require interaction with outside people, so I can get away with looking like crap.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • As long as my work gets done no one cares if I take a long lunch.  I do work at least +10 hr/day in a salary position though.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"