3rd Trimester

Could not believe what I just saw...

There are 4 women in my department pregnant with boys due within 3 days of each other-March 8th-March 10th which is really weird.  Well anyway, when I was walking into work today, I saw one of the girls smoking outside.  I couldn't believe it, I was absolutely shocked.  That is terrible...

Re: Could not believe what I just saw...

• I wish I could say I was surprised. A former colleague of mine smoked and drank alcohol throughout her entire pregnancy. When anyone would ask or comment on her lifestyle choices, she said her doctor recommended she didn't quit for the baby would go through withdrawals. 
    BabyName Ticker
  • Knew a pregnant acquaintance who took up chain-smoking to deal with the fact that she could no longer drink alcohol while pregnant.  Some people's priorities are just so out of control.
  • Loading the player...
  • Not surprising. My ex-SIL smoked through all of her pregnancies. My nieces were both 5 lbs when they were born full term, probably a direct result of her smoking (and whatever other drugs she did).
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • i went to school with a girl who smoked throughout her first pregnancy and her baby was born without an arm...

she is now pregnant with her second and smokes even more. The Dr told her that if she quit the baby would go through withdrawals. I don't know who these girls are seeing for a Dr but mine would NEVER suggest that... 

• My aunt was a chain smoker and she had 4 kids and of course smoked through all of her pregnancies, all of her children have major health problems....

• I sadly smoked through my first pregnancy. I am gonna blame it on being young and dumb. Thankfully, my daughter is fine and has never had any health problems...she weighed 6 lbs and 15 ozs at birth full term. I am a non smoker now thank goodness.  I feel so guilty sometimes not about not smoking, but I am taking such better care of myself at 31 vs. 17 I am even gonna give breastfeeding a go this time around. I feel like my 13 yr old dd deserved so much better than she got when I was pregnant. The sight of her made me get my sh!t together though so she did get a good mom after her birth...just so sad i was so selfish during pregnancy. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • The daughter in law of an aquaintance started smoking while pregnant so the baby would be small and it wouldn't "ruin her vagina."  Direct quote - I wish I was making that up.

People who are that selfish should be sterilized for the good of humanity.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ugh, hard to understand the justification in her mind. I scrutinize every little thing I put in my mouth and how it will affect the development of baby. I couldn't imagine doing something so harmful to the baby, the guilt alone would crush me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagenicoleh55:

i went to school with a girl who smoked throughout her first pregnancy and her baby was born without an arm...

Say what now?

Wow. I am definitely not a fan of smoking while pregnant, but there is zero, and I mean ZERO, evidence (or even theory) that smoking causes that kind of birth defect. This poor girl with one-armed baby, and nicoleh55 thinks it's her fault? More likely an umbilical cord accident or genetic problem that could have happened to the healthiest mama in the world! Geez. Why do we mothers feel the need to judge and blame each other for our babies' problems?

The way to fight the cigarette habit among family and friends is with education, not with exaggerated, unproven scare tactics. Using wild hyperbole like that just makes us non-smokers seem like ignorant fanatics. You'll get farther convincing smokers to quit by using real evidence, instead of Teen-Mom-type horror stories.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In this day and age, it's surprising, but not hugely shocking.  Most of us know better and if we don't make good choices for our own health, usually we'd do it for our babies.

But, do keep in mind that 30 years ago, it wasn't a big deal.  My mom smoked through both pregnancies (me/my sis) and we're both okay (no asthma or anything.)  I think we were both around 7 lbs when we were  born.  She had regular prenatal care and everything, and I don't know if she was even told she should quit.  (She quit when I was in elementary school.)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image526SadieSadie:
    The daughter in law of an aquaintance started smoking while pregnant so the baby would be small and it wouldn't "ruin her vagina."nbsp; Direct quote I wish I was making that up.

My hairdresser used the argument that her doctor to her the only side effect would be low birth weight.
  • image526SadieSadie:

The daughter in law of an aquaintance started smoking while pregnant so the baby would be small and it wouldn't "ruin her vagina."  Direct quote - I wish I was making that up.

Wow.  That blows my mind, and not in a good way...

Geeky is as Geeky Does... BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageggatlanta:
    imagenicoleh55:

i went to school with a girl who smoked throughout her first pregnancy and her baby was born without an arm...

Say what now?

Wow. I am definitely not a fan of smoking while pregnant, but there is zero, and I mean ZERO, evidence (or even theory) that smoking causes that kind of birth defect. This poor girl with one-armed baby, and nicoleh55 thinks it's her fault? More likely an umbilical cord accident or genetic problem that could have happened to the healthiest mama in the world! Geez. Why do we mothers feel the need to judge and blame each other for our babies' problems?

The way to fight the cigarette habit among family and friends is with education, not with exaggerated, unproven scare tactics. Using wild hyperbole like that just makes us non-smokers seem like ignorant fanatics. You'll get farther convincing smokers to quit by using real evidence, instead of Teen-Mom-type horror stories.

This. Thank you!

BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • imageggatlanta:
    imagenicoleh55:

Say what now?

Agree. We have a little girl in our family that was born without her foot and it was caused by a blood clot. Her mom has never had a sip of alcohol,  smoked,  or done any drugs in her entire life.

• A few weeks ago when i was at the OB unit for my weekly NST, the nurse was brining another lady in to do a NST in the same room. i  did not see the lady but oh boy could i hear her! they had sent her over from the doctors office because the doctor had concerns about babies heartbeat.  the first thing she said was, I want a private room, the nurse told her this was just a NST in outpatient and she said well "you people need to get me a private room if i have to stay here" the nurse explained (nicer than i would have) this was just a NST and if she were to be admitted, she would have her own room. Then she started complaining about being hooked up for the test and not being able to smoke and she repeatedly asked to go smoke, the nurse told her it was against policy and highly advised that she not smoke. well mom of the year kept harping on finally the nurse said fine, but you will have to sign a waiver and we are required to give you information about the harm smokeing does to the baby. and the lady said oh i have all kinds of those stuipid flyers i dont want it. so the "Lovely" lady finally got to go smoke. and the nurse came to check on me and I asked her if i could go smack that lady and i would sign a waiver if she let me!  I felt so sorry for that poor little baby, its mom was more worried about smokeing than checking on the wellness of her own baby! just makes me sick!

• image526SadieSadie:

The daughter in law of an aquaintance started smoking while pregnant so the baby would be small and it wouldn't "ruin her vagina."  Direct quote - I wish I was making that up.

What the fluck?

Can't argue with that logic. *side eye* 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepamperedgirl83:

its sadly amazing how selfish people can be.

i have a cousin who was on prescription pain meds when she got pregnant. like vicodin (?) strength so she could continue to work while pregnant since the baby daddy was unemployed. she even stayed on the meds after she had the baby and breastfeed because the doctors had never seen a baby born addicted to the medication and wanted to do a study on the baby to see the side effects!!! 

How is that really her "fault" though? If she was told that it was safe by her own doctors, then she likely trusted their medical and professional advice.... You won't see a doctor telling someone to go ahead and keep smoking. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSpacebunny19:

In this day and age, it's surprising, but not hugely shocking.  Most of us know better and if we don't make good choices for our own health, usually we'd do it for our babies.

But, do keep in mind that 30 years ago, it wasn't a big deal.  My mom smoked through both pregnancies (me/my sis) and we're both okay (no asthma or anything.)  I think we were both around 7 lbs when we were  born.  She had regular prenatal care and everything, and I don't know if she was even told she should quit.  (She quit when I was in elementary school.)

This made me feel old!  I am 39.  Smoking during pregnancy was not acceptable 30 years ago, it was a big deal.  The surgeon general advised against smoking in 1964.  Cigarette advertisement in magazines was banned in the 70s (I think).  It was probably  really hard for your mom to quit.

I think people don't always understand the power of the smoking addiction.   Maybe this woman is trying her hardest to quit and has cut back.  Maybe she judges herself even more than the poster.  Or maybe she is selfish as others say and does not care.

Smiley: April '05 Rocky: May '06 Tex: July '09
  • imagepamperedgirl83:

i have a cousin who was on prescription pain meds when she got pregnant. like vicodin (?) strength so she could continue to work while pregnant since the baby daddy was unemployed. she even stayed on the meds after she had the baby and breastfeed because the doctors had never seen a baby born addicted to the medication and wanted to do a study on the baby to see the side effects!!! 

No way that is true - there are laws against human experimentation.

• So sad. My best friend has permanent hearing problems and chronic respiratory issues because his mother smoked while she was pregnant with him. Continuing the legacy, his brother's wife smoked through both of her pregnancies because she felt it was her body, her choice.

Umm, no. I'm pretty sure the baby is the one who suffers from this kind of selfishness and would prefer NOT to have to undergo a lifetime of health issues because their ignorant mother couldn't/wouldn't kick the habit.

• Geez, these kind of posts really get me hot under the collar. The only proven thing that smoking does to a baby while pregnant is that it lowers the birth weight. Some people say it increases chances of asthma or a drug dependency but that's a bunch of BS because it hasn't been proven. It lowers birth weight....that's it!

My mom smoked throughout her pregnancy with me, but didn't with my sister. My sister was born10lbs2oz and I was 9lbs11oz. So the only difference it made was half a pound. I don't smoke (the only person in my family that doesn't and never has), I have no drug dependencies, I don't have asthma, I'm not overweight, I have no learning disabilities,Ironically, I am the healthiest person in my family, the list goes on......So what's the big deal?

You don't agree with me, that's fine. You don't want to smoke during your pregnancy? That's fine too, more power to you. But stop judging those who do, it's not your place.

BabyFruit TickerLilypie Third Birthday tickers "You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the one person you can't live without."
  • imagepamperedgirl83:

i have a cousin who was on prescription pain meds when she got pregnant. [...] she even stayed on the meds after she had the baby and breastfeed because the doctors had never seen a baby born addicted to the medication and wanted to do a study on the baby to see the side effects!!! 

More ugggg.

In 2009, in the U.S., one baby every hour was born suffering opiate withdrawal according to the National Institues of Health. One every hour. No one needed your cousin's baby to study its effects.

Please, I am begging everyone, not just the quoted poster - if you are trying to be on the Winning Side, don't make the winning side look ignorant by propogating ridiculousness.

Wild stories like this fuel ambivalence, not action. If you're going to convince someone to make a particular choice, you need to be sure they can't poke holes in your reasoning or evidence. When the choice is as important as not feeding babies hydrocodone, you need to be doubly sure that your arguments are airtight.

Otherwise, you're just giving the drug user a chance to say someone lied to her about what could happen, and you're making the entire fight harder for everyone else.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image526SadieSadie:

Oh...my...god.  This makes me sad for humanity.

When I got my very first job, I worked as an office assistant for a lady who worked out of her home across the street from my house.  I used to find her sneaking cigs in the garage while she was pregnant.  She would cry every time I caught her and complained that she just couldn't quit.  I get that it's hard, I quit 2 years ago and it was sooo difficult.  But seriously, you're endangering the life and well being of something that cannot defend itself.  Something that you are charged with keeping safe and healthy.  And if you can't give up your own selfish desires in order to give that beautiful, pure life force a good fighting chance, then you shouldn't be allowed to procreate.  

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I am not a smoker, but I do know some women who continue to smoke during pregnancies and limit their cigarettes per day as per doctor's orders.  Supposedly, if your body is so used to it, they say that just stopping cold turkey can cause miscarriage.  My mother got pregnant 6 times.  Every time she quit smoking she miscarried (3 times)  After her 2nd miscarriage, the dr told her to just limit her smoking but not to quit.  She had me, got pregnant 3 years later quit and miscarried.  I dont know if that was just coincidence, and granted it was 30 years ago, but I have heard women doing the same today.  Most are just more discreet where they smoke so as not to be judged.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • So, I smoke and am 27 weeks pregnant.  I go to a very reputable OB practice with 4 different doctors. They have all told me to cut back and not go cold turkey and it would be best that I quite entirely over time. They have not pushed the issue and seem to be ok with my progress.  Thus far my baby is very healthy and is measuring in the 56% which I am thankful for.  I am not ignorant, nor a bad or unfit parent, but I am addicted to cigarettes and I do rely on them.  I wish I were a stronger person about this, as its the only vise I have and can't seem to conquer it.  This doesn't make me a bad, ignorant or selfish person it makes me human, someone doing MY best.  I have cut back and am trying daily to cut back further.  I have a 10 yr old that I was able to cut back to only 1 or 2 a day and she is healthy, happy, highly intelligent girl (who gets on me about smoking). I love my kids with all my heart and feel I am a good parent, who is trying to be better.  Try not to judge others too harshly, most of us mothers are trying our best and are hard enough on ourselves whether its over smoking or some other issue.
    BabyName Ticker
  • This thread is one big bowl of Super Deluxe Crazy Flakes.
    The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"