November 2011 Moms

Who is still Breastfeeding?

Just curious.

We are still BF, just twice a day, though. Before morning nap and at bedtime. I know he would nurse more if I offered, but I am trying to slow wean and that is where we are at.

I have mixed feelings about stopping. Anyone else still BF? What is your plan for weaning? Baby led or Mama led?

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

Re: Who is still Breastfeeding?

• Nope. Gave that up when DS was 13.5 months (the week before Christmas). Just wanted to say GL and congratulations! We did Mama led weaning, but we were all sick at that time too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We're still nursing at least 6x/day not including the MOTN feedings. I don't see DD weaning anytime soon. She gets way too excited about nursing. I'm hoping she'll start to self wean soon though. I wouldn't mind still nursing a couple times a day up until she's like 2 but I don't like that she still wants to nurse ALL THE TIME. 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I am.  DS is having surgery next week, but I am hoping to start weaning in a few weeks. I don't want to, but I am having surgery myself at the end of March and I just don't think it will work for me to BF at that time.  I know DS is not going to be happy about weaning.
  • I am, twice a day morning and at night. And pumping twice a day.
    DS has milk protein allergy, and seems to have a reaction to whole cow milk, soy, coconut and almond milk. He hated the taste of goats milkme too. He barely drank any to see if he would have a reaction. So I am at a loss where to go from here. But he is still getting 3 bottles of bm a day at daycare and I only pump enough now for 2 sometimes less. We have about two weeks left of frozen bm. We need to find a solution quick. Thankfully or 15 month check up is Monday.
  • We are too :)

• imageyankeefans:
    I am, twice a day morning and at night. And pumping twice a day. DS has milk protein allergy, and seems to have a reaction to whole cow milk, soy, coconut and almond milk. He hated the taste of goats milkme too. He barely drank any to see if he would have a reaction. So I am at a loss where to go from here. But he is still getting 3 bottles of bm a day at daycare and I only pump enough now for 2 sometimes less. We have about two weeks left of frozen bm. We need to find a solution quick. Thankfully or 15 month check up is Monday.

My DS had a problem with milk too for a long time. I also had to avoid all things milk while BFing. I came across this website that was TONS of help in finding ways around the milk issue. https://www.godairyfree.org/

I hope it helps you and your LO!

• We are.  Like you, DS is only nursing twice a day- right before bed and first thing when he wakes up.  I stopped pumping during the day at work right when he turned one.  I only made it 13 months with my first son and I don't really know how long we will continue.  I go back and forth about weaning him lately.  I don't know if I will go past 18 months, though.  I guess we are just playing it by ear at this point.
  • We are.  She gets cows milk during the day when I am at work, on demand nursing when I am home.
  • We're still breastfeeding and I have no plans for weaning, so I guess baby led

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just stopped last week and I definitely had mixed emotions about it. I missed the bonding time but at the same time felt a lot of freedom!  I was sick last week and could take cold medicine! Now that its been a week I mostly am just happy to be done.

It was mama led... I had to go out of town for a few days for work and just didn't start up again when I got home. DH said it wasnt bad at all while I was gone. I think it was much easier to do this while I was out of town. DD pulled at my shirt a few times after I got home but I just gave her a cup of milk and tried distraction and it seemed to work. She hasn't asked for it the past few days.  I have to say its wonderful to have wine with dinner again and not think about when I'm feeding DD. :) 

imageimage
  • We still BF - usually twice a day - first thing in the morning and before afternoon nap.  The nighttime feeding was the one I really wanted to be done with - I've been home for her bedtime for her whole life (since she never took a bottle).  While always being the one to put her to bed at night was very sweet, I was ready for some freedom.  That said, committing to morning and afternoon BFing isn't that hard so...... 

Part of me is really ready to be done.  Part of me can't seem to let it go.

One of my concerns is that she doesn't drink a lot outside of BFing (maybe a cup of water and a cup of milk) so I was going to talk to her pedi next week and see what the pedi says.  (I would think if I stopped nursing, she would pick up some more liquid, but IDK....I'd rather her be a good drinker before we stopped nursing.)

And breastfeeding still comes in handy sometimes - like during travel (like we did last weekend).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageNatty13umppo:

We still BF - usually twice a day - first thing in the morning and before afternoon nap.  The nighttime feeding was the one I really wanted to be done with - I've been home for her bedtime for her whole life (since she never took a bottle).  While always being the one to put her to bed at night was very sweet, I was ready for some freedom.  That said, committing to morning and afternoon BFing isn't that hard so...... 

Part of me is really ready to be done.  Part of me can't seem to let it go.

One of my concerns is that she doesn't drink a lot outside of BFing (maybe a cup of water and a cup of milk) so I was going to talk to her pedi next week and see what the pedi says.  (I would think if I stopped nursing, she would pick up some more liquid, but IDK....I'd rather her be a good drinker before we stopped nursing.)

And breastfeeding still comes in handy sometimes - like during travel (like we did last weekend).

Ditto on the drinking. Ds drinks maybe 4 oz of water and maybe 8 oz of cows milk a day? I wish he drank more before I cut out breastmilk.
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Me!!  I just stopped pumping at work last week, until then I was still doing once a day.  I nurse first thing in the morning, for naps (when I'm home on the weekends), when I gt home from work and at night before bed, so usually 3x a day.  That seems to work for us.  Hopefully by the summer we'll be done, but that's up to her.  If she's not weaning herself, I'll drop the morning feeding and hopefully find other ways to soothe her to sleep.  I would like to be done completely by September.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• We are still nursing.

I am going out of town for two days at the end of this week, so if he weans himself then, then I suppose it will be mother lead weaning.  If he still wants boob when I come back (which is what I suspect) then we'll carry on until I am 6 months pregnant with nr. 2 or when he weans, whichever comes first.

"Read the books, don
  • We are still bfing. Its totally up to him so baby led as of right now but my goal is by 2 i would like him to be done. So hopefully over the next 9 months he will start to wean. He nurses morning, nap, and bed time. So 3x a day but somedays it could be more it depends on him. But he is never on it long so it's not like when he was little and on it forever it felt like. It's going to be hard to give it up. I love the special bond we have.
  • Yes we are sometimes 2-3 other times like recently 4-6 times It depends on if he is sick
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • imageLeofgythsMama:
    We are.  She gets cows milk during the day when I am at work, on demand nursing when I am home.

This, exactly.

I dunno when we will wean.  I know I will be very sad.  I think we will wean by the time she is two.

• We are.  I had the past week off so nursed ~6x/day (!), tomorrow will be the first drive into work without a pump... I'm excited and we'll go back to 2x/evening. We still have about 400oz of frozen milk so she'll get that until it runs out.  I feel guilty that I'm feeling done with breastfeeding, DD1 nursed for 24mo so I won't stop DD2 before that point, but if she stopped prior I would not be sad.  Oh, and we're TTC so maybe success would push her to wean (?) without me pushing, hard to say but at this point I nurse from one side and it's likely not producing much.
    5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

• I am, generally 2-3 times a day. Always morning and night and occasionally before his nap. I am not emotionally ready to be done as I cherish the bond that we have and I love our quiet time together. However, DS is still milk protein intolerant and I feel like I have been wasting away for months now since he does not tolerate any dairy in my diet at all. I'm unattractively skinny and I'm tired of eating the same things for over a year now. So in that respect, I am desperate to be done and in the other, I would be happy to go on indefinitely. It sucks, because I feel like I won't be happy either way :(

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"