Pregnant after 35

Will hunger slow down in the 2nd trimester?

I am 11 weeks and I am hungry every two to three hours. I've brushed my teeth for bed already and now, I am raging hungry again! I just want to go to sleep, not eat again. However, I'm afraid that if I skip the snack, I'll get empty stomach nausea. 

Does the constant hunger go away for most women in the 2nd trimester when the hormones settle down? ...or does empty stomach nausea at least go away? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Will hunger slow down in the 2nd trimester?

• Welcome to being pregnant!  The hunger thing is kind of a constant.  Although for me it did drop off a little in the second trimester, it came back with a vengence by late second and into your third.  By that point, you are supposed to be gaining about a pound per week, and you have the appetite to go along with it.

Try eating protein at night.  It tends to keep you full longer so hopefully you can sleep through the night.  With my first pregnancy, the empty stomach nausea never went away.  Since that one, I've just made sure to always have a snack in my purse (granola bar, orange, etc.).  This can really help with keeping the nausea at bay and holding you to your next meal.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• I was constantly hungry with both my first and this pregnancy.  I guess I was lucky to never have morning sickness, but I was eating so much I gained about 60 lbs the first time around becasue I could not stop eating.

This time, I am trying to eat a lot more smaller meals and snacks rather than 3 squares and snacks.  I probably eat about every 3 hours or so, but sometimes it is a yogurt and an apple, a high protein granola bar or nut bar, hummus and cucumbers or carrots, a couple of hard boiled eggs and a few crackers. 

Son #1 is already 2! Not too much longer until Son No.2 arrives! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I was definitely eating alot in first tri to stave off the nausea but that part has gone away.  Now I don't have to eat constantly but I still snack every couple hours.  Luckily I can stomach most anything now so its more fruits, cheese, yogurt, granola etc.  I have my share of junk too though since I want it all the time.  I definitely can't go too long without eating or I am really not too pleasant haha.  So you might stay hungry all the time but at least you will be able to make healthier choices as you get further along, at least its that way for me. 
    TTC since Dec. 2010. Me: 37, DH: 38...unexplained RPL
    BFP #1 - missed m/c 4.18.11 found @8w3d, d&c @13w 
    BFP #2 blighted ovum found 8.2011 @8w, misoprostol
    BFP#3 - missed m/c 6.11.12 @ 9w3d, d&c revealed extra chromosome 15
    BFP#4 8.10.12, DD born 4/26/13
  • My weight gain has finally slowed down recently--there were several weeks in the 2nd tri where I was gaining 1 1/2 pounds a week. I am trying to eat more protein and I think that has made me not quite so ravenously hungry overall. But yes, the empty stomach thing is bad. I never go anywhere without carrying snacks and water.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • imagedanuli8:
    My weight gain has finally slowed down recently--there were several weeks in the 2nd tri where I was gaining 1 1/2 pounds a week. I am trying to eat more protein and I think that has made me not quite so ravenously hungry overall. But yes, the empty stomach thing is bad. I never go anywhere without carrying snacks and water.

This is good advice.  Now that I am well into 3rd tri, I have days where I can't get enough to eat and then days where nothing looks good.  However, when I need to eat, I need to eat right at that moment.

BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • The frequent hunger hasn't gone away for me, but the m/s definitely subsided around 12 or 13 weeks. I kept a bag of oyster crackers in my nightstand until then because I'd wake up starving and especially nauseous. I'd eat a handful of crackers, lay there, and five minutes later feel better.

I don't need to do that anymore but I do have snacks around at all times. I have a basket at work that I keep a variety of snacks in - right now it has luna bars, a bag of almonds, a couple apples, and two tuna and cracker snack packs. I also have a couple yogurts in the fridge at work. Oh, and like PP said, I never go anywhere without water. You need lots to help build up your blood supply! 

FX that you find some relief from nausea in 2nd tri, too!

Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks ladies! Well...I had another snack at 10:30 last night. I must just resign myself to expect this. I am still in disbelief about my appetite because I am always so full and then, POOF---I am hungry again!
  • For me in the second trimester the hunger slowed down as did the nausea... At 28 weeks I started waking up hungry in the middle of the night... It's pretty wild when your body wakes you out of sleep to get a snack...
  • It's different for everyone, but for most women your eating habits will return to normal in the 2nd tri.  The nausea should subside by then, too.  It did for me by about 12 weeks, and I was back to my usual 3 meals a day plus a couple of snacks.  I do find myself going through periods where I need an extra snack during the day.  That usually lasts a couple of weeks, and I suspect it's due to baby's growth spurts.  That said, I do know a couple of women who had nausea for the entire pregnancy.  Zofran was their best friend.  It's not likely that will happen to you, but keep the Zofran in mind if it does.  Good luck!
    Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy
  • imagetechnigirl:
    It's different for everyone, but for most women your eating habits will return to normal in the 2nd tri.  The nausea should subside by then, too.  It did for me by about 12 weeks, and I was back to my usual 3 meals a day plus a couple of snacks.  I do find myself going through periods where I need an extra snack during the day.  That usually lasts a couple of weeks, and I suspect it's due to baby's growth spurts.  That said, I do know a couple of women who had nausea for the entire pregnancy.  Zofran was their best friend.  It's not likely that will happen to you, but keep the Zofran in mind if it does.  Good luck!

Thanks! I feel like my nausea is less today and yesterday than any other time in the pregnancy. 11w2d....2nd Trimester is just around the corner!!!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"